EHEC's Future

Moderator: SharksGM

SharksGM
Site Admin

EHEC's Future

Post by SharksGM »

Alright, good-ish not-so-news first: I have paid for hosting for the website for the next two years. This costs around $70 (US) per year. If you feel like contributing to hosting costs, as a few have offered before, PM me and I'll let you know how.

Now to other things. As you've probably noticed, we've lost a few GMs over the last few months. Prior to season start, we were actually nearly full, but a few GMs went missing just as the season started (??): ARI & FLA. That adds to those who announced their departure (CBS & MTL), and the seemingly perpetually vacant NJ. Five vacancies is an uncomfortably large number - I can handle one or two, but fixing up lines and rosters for any more than that gets very tedious. So if you have the inclination, here's what you can do to help:

1. Advertise and try to recruit new GMs. I bump the post on hfboards every now and then but there are probably better places. I know Justin started a reddit thread some time ago (which probably could use refreshing), there are posts on EHM The Blue Line, and Marty has volunteered to advertise on Hockey Virtuel to replenish our Quebecois pool. Or just ask your friends, family, whatever (I have tried and failed at this numerous times; oh well).

2. Volunteer to be an interim GM. If you're really keep to take on a second team, the process is fairly straight forward - let me know which team interests you (it has to be in the opposite conference from your main team) and I'll set you up with a forums/GMO account for that team. I'm normally reluctant to advertise this too heavily as I'm concerned about burnout, so don't feel obliged to do this unless you really want to.

3. Give feedback, come up with new ideas, etc. For example, reviving voting on awards.

4. This is the big one, but in the long term we need other simmers. I can handle simming for now but it does get it a bit tedious to do this every night. I've also been reluctant to push on this because of our experiences with a certain committee member of the past, but there are ways to minimize the risk (mostly scheduling so that we sim as few of our own games as possible), but it's going to be necessary in the future - definitely for the playoffs. It is a fairly involved process and requires a degree of trust, so I'll post more details about the sim procedure in the next few days and you can decide if you'd be interested in this.

Questions?
AvalancheGM

Re: EHEC's Future

Post by AvalancheGM »

I can be interim GM for an East team, possibly two if needed.

I've been a simmer before, can't do it now with computer limitations but may be possible in the future, like maybe playoff time.
The Colorado Avalanche - missing the playoffs every year since EHEC began
TBGM - Geoff

Post by TBGM - Geoff »

I can take on a western conference team until a suitable replacement is found.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

I could sim but I have zero experience.

I have a buddy who was in EHEC in the early days but bailed. I'll see if he's interested and willing to commit.
Dallas Stars GM

Post by Dallas Stars GM »

i can take Blue Jackets as an interim. They're my favourite team anyway ;)
STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2020, 2022
PittsburghGM

Post by PittsburghGM »

i wouldn't mind being an interim GM for a team in the west, though it seems most of our vacancies are in the east
Bernyhawks

Post by Bernyhawks »

Hey Dan send me your email I will etransfer you 20$!
AvalancheGM

Post by AvalancheGM »

Dibs on Florida
IslandersGM

Post by IslandersGM »

Willing to match Bern's $20. I'd also like to learn how to sim and since we're not running the shootout program I won't have to worry about that since Norton Antivirus was always removing it. I've got some time since I'm subbing as a teacher this year and I've always wanted to run a league of my own but I know that's a big big big big...big commitment and I think this will satisfy that desire to try.
NYI GM
VancouverCanucksGM

Post by VancouverCanucksGM »

IslandersGM wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:10 pmsince we're not running the shootout program I won't have to worry about that since Norton Antivirus was always removing it.
If only the nhl had Norton Antivirus.
SensGM

Post by SensGM »

1. Done on HV
Edmonton Mike

Post by Edmonton Mike »

Got you for a $20 also, Dan.
Jon Merrill
1992-2021
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Thanks to those who contributed to hosting costs (or offered to). We haven't had any new applications yet, but I'll update the application page later tonight and bump the HFBoards post. As for interim GMs, here's what I have as volunteers:

COL - FLA
TB/PIT - ARI
DAL - CBS

I believe Geoff (TB) volunteered first and ARI is the only vacancy in the west at the moment, so he has first dibs.

For those of you who volunteered, you'll need to register a second account for your interim team (this is the easiest way by far) - something like FLA Interim GM. Martin, you already have an old "WSH InterimGM" account that I haven't deleted yet. If you want to re-use it, let me know and I'll rename it to "CBS InterimGM" or whatever you want.

I can handle NJ for now and MTL doesn't really need much tweaking if anyone in the West is still tempted. I hope (well, assume) that MTL will be the easiest vacancy to fill.
TBGM - Geoff

Post by TBGM - Geoff »

SharksGM wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:30 pm Thanks to those who contributed to hosting costs (or offered to). We haven't had any new applications yet, but I'll update the application page later tonight and bump the HFBoards post. As for interim GMs, here's what I have as volunteers:

COL - FLA
TB/PIT - ARI
DAL - CBS

I believe Geoff (TB) volunteered first and ARI is the only vacancy in the west at the moment, so he has first dibs.

For those of you who volunteered, you'll need to register a second account for your interim team (this is the easiest way by far) - something like FLA Interim GM. Martin, you already have an old "WSH InterimGM" account that I haven't deleted yet. If you want to re-use it, let me know and I'll rename it to "CBS InterimGM" or whatever you want.

I can handle NJ for now and MTL doesn't really need much tweaking if anyone in the West is still tempted. I hope (well, assume) that MTL will be the easiest vacancy to fill.
I'll take on Arizona to help out until a replacement is found.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Cool. I've set up interim accounts: FLA Caretaker, Arizona - interim and CBS InterimGM. We also have a new Devils GM. That just leaves Montreal uncovered for now, and hopefully not for long.

For simming and other things that we used to have a committee for... I'll be in touch with those who expressed interest later in the next few weeks. Apparently there's some kind of national event tomorrow?
DetroitGM

Post by DetroitGM »

SharksGM wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:06 pm For simming and other things that we used to have a committee for... I'll be in touch with those who expressed interest later in the next few weeks. Apparently there's some kind of national event tomorrow?
If there are non-simming things to express interest in, I will express interest in those? I don't trust myself enough to do the simming, but happy to help in other ways if I can.
Dallas Stars GM

Post by Dallas Stars GM »

Apparently there's some kind of national event tomorrow?
Nothing happening in here. Except we had nationwide covid testing that served no purpose at all :lol: Maybe somebody wrote about us somewhere :lol:

I've been busy these last couple of days. I'm going to sign in also as an CBJ interim tomorrow and take care of all the needed stuff.
STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2020, 2022
SensGM

Post by SensGM »

SharksGM wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:56 am 4. This is the big one, but in the long term we need other simmers. I can handle simming for now but it does get it a bit tedious to do this every night. I've also been reluctant to push on this because of our experiences with a certain committee member of the past, but there are ways to minimize the risk (mostly scheduling so that we sim as few of our own games as possible), but it's going to be necessary in the future - definitely for the playoffs. It is a fairly involved process and requires a degree of trust, so I'll post more details about the sim procedure in the next few days and you can decide if you'd be interested in this.
I guess I could give it a try by simming once a week (Mondays) and MAYBE for the playoffs.
AvalancheGM

Post by AvalancheGM »

Are there any vacancies in the east? Looking to be a caretaker now that FLA has a GM.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

AvalancheGM wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:58 pm Are there any vacancies in the east? Looking to be a caretaker now that FLA has a GM.
No, STL is the only team without a caretaker now. ARI & CBJ are vacant but have interim GMs (TB & DAL).

Return to “League Memos”