EHM FAQ (About EHM)

Moderator: SharksGM

SharksGM
Site Admin

EHM FAQ (About EHM)

Post by SharksGM »

Q: What is EHM?

A: EHM is a freeware hockey simulator written by Risto Remes and released way back in 2001. It is now a commercial franchise. You can read more about the series here.

Q: Where do I get EHM?

A: Right here; you will likely need to download the required ocx files as well and register them (start -> cmd [hold ctrl+shift for admin mode] -> regsvr32 <filename>). You will probably also need the VisualBasic runtime for Windows.

fhockey used to be the best place for information about EHM, including downloads, installation instructions, and some information about gameplay and strategies. Unfortunately, they went down a while ago, though you can still read their guides on archived versions. EHM: The Blue Line is a good resource, but their file links appear to be broken, which is why I uploaded them to our site (link above).

Q: How do I play EHM?

A: Once you download the league save file, you can load it and do what you please with it. Actual file updates and simulations are done by league administrators and posted here, but you're welcome to use the file to simulate into the future on your own.

If you're new to EHM, I'd recommend trying out a full season with your team without any trades. The AI is very basic and will often make questionable decisions like moving good young players to the farm team for no obvious reason, but they might also use the most power line tactics on all four lines, so they're not completely hopeless opponents.

Q: What should I know about EHM? How is it different from other manager/simulation games?

A: fhockey has some good resources. I'm hoping this thread will spark some more discussions about EHM mechanics and strategy. There are some on these very forums.

I'd say the most important things for a manager to know are line strategies and player development. Most players agree that Hit & Grind and Neutral Zone Trap are the best line tactics, which is why our rulebook has restrictions on using these tactics.

In my opinion, the most important attributes are shooting, which correlates with goalscoring (duh), playmaking (assists), and hitting (takeaways). Positioning seems to correlate with shot blocks, stickhandling weakly with offense and (preventing) giveaways. It's not completely clear to me what checking does, or how important skating is.

Q: How do players develop their attributes?

A: Player development is mostly controlled by two factors - a player's potential and their ceilings in each attribute. Players will usually develop to potential X ceiling/100, but there are many exceptions. Goalies appear to ignore ceilings entirely. Forwards will often 'overdevelop' stickhandling and positioning up to their potential level, defensemen checking and positioning, and all skaters skating. Skaters with ceilings above 100 in those four attributes (ST, CH, PO, SK) may also have their attributes regress to their potential level (i.e. treating a ceiling as 100).

The second most important note is that a skater's height sets limit on their hitting and (possibly) strength as follows: 6'2 (height=9) and above: no limit; 6'0-6'1 (height=7-8) max ceiling=90; 5'8-5'11 (height=3-6) max ceiling = 70; 5'7 and below (height <= 2) max ceiling = 40. As usual there are exceptions: the strength limit seems easier to overcome than the hitting one, and short players who already have hitting above their ceiling level may be able to keep it above their ceiling without regressing, although it's not clear how exactly that works.

Q: Can players improve their potential and/or consistency?

Yes, EHM has very simple mechanics for this. Players with consistency >= 75, who are under the age of 20, and have a potential under 70, may see their potential increase by 10 during the offseason. These are referred to as potential (POT) boosters. In some rare cases, players with potential below 60 may even boost by 20. Very rarely, slightly older players with potential below 60 might boost by 10.

Players with very low (under 50) consistency ("CON boosters") may see their consistency randomly increase when traded. In order to prevent these players being traded repeatedly until they boost, they may only be traded once per season.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Re: EHM FAQ (About EHM)

Post by SharksGM »

Feel free to add suggestions for additions or edits to anything here.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Re: EHM FAQ (About EHM)

Post by SharksGM »

I added links to EHM installation files (https://ehec.pro/ehm/) since The Blue Line's seem to be broken.

Return to “About EHEC and EHM”