EHEC Midterm Review

Moderator: SharksGM

SharksGM
Site Admin

EHEC Midterm Review

Post by SharksGM »

We're a little past the halfway mark as nearly every team has played at least 41 games, so let's have a look over at the Standings for some fun facts.

Over in the East, the Sens and Panthers are the two best-performing teams in the league, with a +35 goal differential in 44 and 42 games, respectively. The interesting thing is how they're doing it: the Panthers are +16G on special teams, tied for second in the league, while the Sens are -5G thanks to their skull-cracking habits. The Sens also have a whopping 8 skaters in the top 30 league-wide for +/-, though that sadly includes the out-til-June Brian Lee. Rounding out the top four are the Habs and Rangers, who are similarly on opposite sides of the special teams ledger, just to a less extent. Finally, the only other team above .500 in the East are the Lightning, whose aging stars have overcome a sluggish start to pull them back into the top 10 league-wide.

The fun stuff starts past the remarkably average .500 Penguins (no offense). The Devils have the second-worst PK in the league but are staying afloat in 7th place thanks to the goaltending stylings of Jake Oettinger. Carolina, Buffalo, Toronto and Columbus are all within a point of each other and couldn't be more different. Carolina trails only Florida in combined special teams ranks (#4 PP, #2 PK). Buffalo and Columbus are in the bottom five for goal differential league-wide. The Sabres are 3rd in penalty differential but have the worst combined special teams (#30 PP, #28 PK). Columbus features the studly pairing of Brandon Gormley and Luke Schenn, who are last and third last in +/- in the league despite averaging 70 OF/85 DF/80 CON. Yeah, go figure.

Look out at the bottom, where the Bruins actually have a positive goal differential and could climb back above .500 with a short winning streak. The Isles just need to find themselves a quality penaltykiller and maybe they'd stop losing in OT so often.

Over to the West, the Sharks and Hawks are leading the way thanks to judicious goal allocation, translating 5th and 13th place rankings in goal differential into 1st and 3rd in point%. Hawks fans should probably stop whining about the refs as they're dead last in penalties drawn. Westerners would do well to look out for the Kings, whose only real flaw (besides a weak PK) is going for blowouts instead of saving some goals for tight games.

Teams #4-9 are where the West shows its supremacy - all are at least 2 games above .500, and only Arizona has a negative goal differential. Look out especially for the Stars AKA Lightning West, who have steadily climbed back into the playoff picture after their Stanley Cup hangover, and the Oilers, who - like the Kings - just have a middling PK to hold them back. The Blues are on their way to tying their record from last season despite the lack of loser points and absence of any leadership, vision, management strategy, or active effort of any kind. Way to go, boys!

The Ducks and Canucks are dark horses in the West. Vancouver's even goal differential has rather unjustly left them 9 games below .500, thanks to poor special teams and suboptimal goal distribution. The Ducks, meanwhile, have a stellar powerplay thanks to a roster full of controlled disconnected Alex Ovechkins.

Lastly - and I mean lastly - the Red Wings are headlined by Jack Campbell, who is channeling 2017-18 era Steve Mason on his way to a Vezina. Meanwhile, over in Colorado, Steve Mason is channeling himself into a ditch, where he belongs, because he sucks really bad. Sorry, I used to be a teenage internet troll and old habits die hard. The last shout out goes to Mirko Hoeflin, who leads the Avs with a +11 and a whopping 152 PIM (that's at least a 50 PIM lead in non-fighting penalties over his closest competition). His teammates must stare daggers at his back every time he heads to the box in shame. He also leads the league in face-off percentage with a whopping 67.1%. Those must be some soft, supple and yet firm punching hands.
AvalancheGM

Re: EHEC Midterm Review

Post by AvalancheGM »

I've probably said it before, but Hoefflin is like me playing NHL - zero discipline whatsoever.
The Colorado Avalanche - missing the playoffs every year since EHEC began
Bernyhawks

Post by Bernyhawks »

AvalancheGM wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:27 am I've probably said it before, but Hoefflin is like me playing NHL - zero discipline whatsoever.
:lol:

Send him to boot camp
NYRNYRNYR

Post by NYRNYRNYR »

This was an excellent, enjoyable read. Where's the link to your Athletic page? :lol: :lol: After tonight's game the NYR 1/2 season update can get underway, which all things considered, looks much better than the 1/4 report.
DetroitGM

Post by DetroitGM »

SharksGM wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:55 am Lastly - and I mean lastly - the Red Wings are headlined by Jack Campbell, who is channeling 2017-18 era Steve Mason on his way to a Vezina. Meanwhile, over in Colorado, Steve Mason is channeling himself into a ditch, where he belongs, because he sucks really bad. Sorry, I used to be a teenage internet troll and old habits die hard. The last shout out goes to Mirko Hoeflin, who leads the Avs with a +11 and a whopping 152 PIM (that's at least a 50 PIM lead in non-fighting penalties over his closest competition). His teammates must stare daggers at his back every time he heads to the box in shame. He also leads the league in face-off percentage with a whopping 67.1%. Those must be some soft, supple and yet firm punching hands.
Love it, this paragraph in particular is great, especially the last line.

I'd also like to point out that last place Detroit has a player in the top 10 for plus/minus. Sure he played 34 games with another team and only 3 in Detroit, but he's still ours and in the top 10! :D
Duckduckdeke

Post by Duckduckdeke »

Awesome stuff!
Quack Quack

Return to “Team News”