Grittys' Eastern Conference First Round Predictions

Moderator: SharksGM

Gritty

Grittys' Eastern Conference First Round Predictions

Post by Gritty »

Here is Grittys' Eastern Conference Predictions!

1v8 (Ottawa vs Boston)

Ottawa once again has won the presidents trophy, but after last year I think they will come to play out of the gate looking for redemption. The Senators are led by Connor McDavid, Cody Hodgson, and veteran Dustin Brown. The sens had the 11th ranked powerplay in the league, going against Bostons PK which was good enough (or bad enough) for 28th in the league. I think this will play a key factor in how this series plays out.

On the other side of the ice, the Bruins are led by the young phenoms Quinton Byfield, and Bowen Byram. This team is very young, and could use this playoff birth as a great experience to learn from, and help out the young cores future. The Bruins are not a team you would expect to see in the playoffs just yet, as they are still in that rebuilding phase of the program. Will the young superstars be able to keep up with McDavid and Company?

Grittys' Prediction - Ottawa in four.
I just don't see Ottawa dropping a game here, the level of hockey they have been playing is incredible and they have a great GM and coaching staff to guide them to the 2nd round.

Series MVP - Connor McDavid
Connor McDavid has a great two way game, and this series I think he will really take advantage of the sloppy Bruins powerplay, and use that to help his team advance.

2v7 (Montreal vs Florida)

Montreal has had its ups and downs, well.... maybe not many downs. But they have dealt with a lot of injuries this season and yet still finished with 107 points. The team was left in pretty good shape by Vik, yet it still takes a great coach to maintain the team where it's at. I give a lot of credit to Ty for keeping this team as a 2 seed with those injury woes. But about this team, where do I start? Led by Alexander Ovechkin, who doesn't quite have 9 50 goal seasons in EHM, has yet still put up 40 goals in 9 seasons, with players like Jason Spezza and Mike Richards around him that have battled injury throughout the season. Thats what has made this season even more impressive, missing 2 top players for 40 games yet still outscoring opponents 275 to 209, and having one of the most electric special teams units in the league. This team to me is the ultimate Stanley Cup contender.

Grittys' Prediction - Habs in 4.
I dont see this squad losing a game after the dominant performance they put up last season, and this one.

Series MVP - Alexander Ovechkin
Hopefully he can repeat his playoff performance from last year, if he can continue what he has been doing I don't see this being close.

3v6 (Pitt vs CBJ)
The Penguins have been a great team all season long, with great special teams to back it up. The 7th best powerplay, and the leagues best PP will be crucial in this series. Young Russian Andrei Svechnikov has been brilliant on the offensive side of the puck, putting up almost 1ppg at just 21 years old. The Pens have some of the best young talent in the league, and will be cup contenders for years to come. I do not see a single weakness on this roster, as the top 6 has elite offense, while the bottom 6 all have solid two way games while the dcore looks to be shutdown. Ben Bishop has also put up a career year with 41 wins, and only 15 losses.

Meanwhile, Columbus isn't a team we all expected to see in the 6th seed, especially at the trade deadline. CBJ GM CJ Wagen sold some key pieces off to rebuild for the future, yet somehow his team with Trevor Zegras, Mikko Rantanen, and Anthony Mantha turned this squad around. They caught fire after the deadline, and seem to be unstoppable. The final game of the season CBJ defeated the Pens, so will they carry that momentum into this matchup?

Grittys' Prediction - Pitt in 6
I think CBJ will put up a fight like they have all season, but from top to bottom the Pens roster will outmatch CBJ on both sides of the puck

Series MVP - Adam Larsson
He is elite on both sides of the puck, with 169 takeaways, yet putting up 52 points. Will CBJ be able to stop him? I don't think so.

4v5 (Tampa vs NYR)
Tampa has been electric all season long, led by veterans like Sidney Crosby, Carey Price, Jonathon Toews, and plenty more leaders. These leaders are also helping the young core that they have brought up as well. Tampa has one of the best special teams cores as well, Toews and Crosby have 13 ppg combined, while Kabanov has 9 himself. This team is all offense up front, with plenty of great two way defenseman on the backend that can do it all.

NYR has really fallen off the 2nd half of this season, even with their trade deadline moves for long time veteran John Tavares. Jack Eichel, and Micheal Dal Colle also lead the way for this squad who really hopes to have a bounce back during round one. Goaltending needs to find a way to be better, all throughout the season they have been struggling, even bringing in new goalies to help find the solution but it seems nothing has worked. I hope John Tavares leadership, and playoff experience can help them overcome their woes.

Grittys' Prediction - Tampa in 5
I see NYR scoring plenty, but I don't think goaltending will do them any help. If the goaltending can play like they should, then this series could definitely go the distance.

Series MVP - Victor Hedman
Hedman plays 26 minutes a night for tampa, and has 230 takeaways this season. He might not put up as many points as the rest, but he doesnt take penalties, he stays on the ice and shuts down the opponents which will be needed vs that NYR top line.

Hopefully you all enjoyed, see you in round 2!
JetsGM

Re: Grittys' Eastern Conference First Round Predictions

Post by JetsGM »

Very good! I owe you a cherry soda for all those nice words!
NYRNYRNYR

Re: Grittys' Eastern Conference First Round Predictions

Post by NYRNYRNYR »

Gritty wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:33 pm
NYR has really fallen off the 2nd half of this season...
Truer words were never spoken

Return to “GM Memos and General Chatter”