"Getting Cozy"

Moderator: SharksGM

BLUESGM

"Getting Cozy"

Post by BLUESGM »

St. Louis Blues Select Dylan Cozens at 7th OA

With only a hand-full of selections remaining in round 1 of the EHEC Selection Draft - the St. Louis Blues added to their Center core by trading up from four spots from 11 and snagging Dylan Cozens. Cozens, a 6'3 prospect from the WHL in the Canadian Major Junior League joins an ever-growing crop of young stand-outs that the Blue notes have stocked in the past few drafts.

"Obviously - its exciting." Cozens told the gathered media through an ear-to-ear smile, "You dream about being selected and you know - goign this high - you know the team that is taking you more often than not has some work to do. But I keep up to date on the NHL - I am a fan after all - I know that St. Louis had a good year and they are hungry for more."

Cozens was not the only one smiling following the selection. Blues General Manager - Liam Rooney - was visibly enthralled with being able to make Cozens the most recent addition to his stable.

"Obviously - when you give up high quality picks like we did to move up and get Dylan - its a good indicator of what we feel this young player can bring to our team." Rooney told the media, "We feel confident that he can contribute to our roster in the foreseeable future and the long term. We're excited! "

Cozens joins a C-core in St. Louis that is currently going through an overhaul, "Well, obviously we now have Dylan. Cody. Lukas can play C - but we would prefer to have him on the wing. Mcfarland. Even Smallman - who is a guy we have been developing on the farm. I think we will have some options as we round into training camp."

It could be a possibility that the center-ice position gets a boost with the plethora of picks that the St. Louis Blues have in the 2nd round. Originally having two selections - Rooney completed a trade with Vancouver and re-shuffled their pick capital. Acquiring young goalie Vasilievsky as well in the process.

"I am a dynasty guy." Rooney told reporters, "I am a big believer in building a team and watching that team grow and hopefully have success. With Vasi - we felt at 25 and the ablity and consistency he has shown. Understanding the impact a guy like Steve Mason had on this young roster last season. We are excited to see what he brings."

Steve Mason - who had been tended the net last season in St. Louis is due to test the market in free agency this July.

"We loved having Mason back for a second go-around on this roster." Rooney added, "I don't think our pick is an 11th pick if Mason isnt in our net last year. We played a lot of underdeveloped players and still managed to stay in the top-half of the league from a goals against stand point. Just phenomenal. But Vasi is cheaper and we won't need to get involved in a rat-race for another tender here when UFA opens. We just wanted to be ready to start the year."

St. Louis will have 3 picks in the top-half of the 2nd round on day-2 of the draft. They will be back up on the podium in Tampa Bay's slot later in the round. We look forward to seeing who the Blues can pull out of the wood work.

Return to “Team News”