SJ/VAN

Moderator: SharksGM

Montreal Canadiens

SJ/VAN

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

What a Game 1 last night, going to be an awesome series. I think the winner should take the SCF.
Virtual Jarmo

Re: SJ/VAN

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Had to go see Bridesmaids instead of watch this game, but it seems like it was a gem. Should be a great series. Two very evenly matched teams capable of playing whatever style of game they need to in order to win.

TB wouldn't have a speed advantage against either of these teams like they do over BOS and BOS would be faced with the same problem if they got past TB. I agree, Brad. This is your Cup final.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:Had to go see Bridesmaids instead of watch this game, but it seems like it was a gem. Should be a great series. Two very evenly matched teams capable of playing whatever style of game they need to in order to win.

TB wouldn't have a speed advantage against either of these teams like they do over BOS and BOS would be faced with the same problem if they got past TB. I agree, Brad. This is your Cup final.
I feel you! Missed TB-BOS on Saturday for that freaking movie. Wasn't that bad though. TB for the cup baby!
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Penguin wrote:I feel you! Missed TB-BOS on Saturday for that freaking movie. Wasn't that bad though. TB for the cup baby!
Wasn't bad at all. Had plenty of immature, childish humor in it. What saved it was that it was a Judd Apatow movie and he's produced all kinds of great things. From Knocked Up and Superbad to Undeclared and Freaks and Geeks. Two underrated shows that never got the love that they deserved. I've been able to catch episodes late at night on IFC. Good stuff.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Trueee! Kristen Wiig is sexy sexy sexy.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Penguin wrote:Trueee! Kristen Wiig is sexy sexy sexy.
Compared to the rest of the cast, absolutely. Overall...she's an 8.
Adam Burke
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

I'm not really convinced by either team - the Sedins still haven't really caught fire and both teams took their time getting to this point and may very well play another tight, exhausting 7 game series. Unless TB/BOS turns really nasty I think the winner there should have a slight advantage (but not nearly enough for me to put any money on it).

Plus what are the odds of Niemi winning 2 cups in a row despite continually giving up fat rebounds? I'm not sold on old man Roloson either but both his career and current season playoff stats are unreal.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Sedins may not have caught fire but their doing what's needed. Hank had 2 points and was 70 percentage in the faceoff circle. And image if Ballard wasn't a healthy scratch.........

And by the way, Bridemaides sucked. Wiig wasn't funny in the fact movie and she is barely ever funny on SNL.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

TorontoGM wrote:Wiig wasn't funny in the fact movie and she is barely ever funny on SNL.
The lesbian one was the funniest.

But, no, she isn't funny on SNL and SNL hasn't been funny in about 20 years.
Adam Burke
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:
TorontoGM wrote:Wiig wasn't funny in the fact movie and she is barely ever funny on SNL.
The lesbian one was the funniest.

But, no, she isn't funny on SNL and SNL hasn't been funny in about 20 years.
Blasphemy. Bill Hader, Seth Meyers, Andy Samberg, and Jason Sudeikis are awesome. And it's only been 9 years since Farrell, so I wouldn't go as far as to say 20 years.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

TorontoGM wrote:Blasphemy. Bill Hader, Seth Meyers, Andy Samberg, and Jason Sudeikis are awesome. And it's only been 9 years since Farrell, so I wouldn't go as far as to say 20 years.
Maybe it was a bit of an exaggeration on my part, but I much prefer the days of Farley and Carvey.

Jimmy Fallon practically ruined the show. I was never a fan of all the segments, just certain, mostly recurring, ones. Like Celebrity Jeopardy.
Adam Burke
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

^Agreed, I've always hated Fallon.

And wow, just realized SJ/VAN get two days off.....and then theres that stupid 12 PM PAC game on sunday. :evil:
Parker

Post by Parker »

TorontoGM wrote:Blasphemy. Bill Hader, Seth Meyers, Andy Samberg, and Jason Sudeikis are awesome. And it's only been 9 years since Farrell, so I wouldn't go as far as to say 20 years.
I would. You probably aren't old enough to remember the second Golden Age of SNL, with Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Phil Hartman (rest in peace), Kevin Nealon, Chris Farley, and Adam Sandler. Once those guys started leaving, the show went into the toilet.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Parker wrote:
I would. You probably aren't old enough to remember the second Golden Age of SNL, with Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Phil Hartman (rest in peace), Kevin Nealon, Chris Farley, and Adam Sandler. Once those guys started leaving, the show went into the toilet.
I used to watch it as a kid but I obv didn't appreciate it as much cause I was too young to understand a lot of it. But that's where the magic of TECHNOLOGY comes in. I got more SNL dvds than regular movies. I do agree that there was a GAP in talent and quality skits for awhile, but I think it's starting to pick up again with some of these youngsters like Pharoah and Brooks. And plus, they will NEVER not have amazing writers. To each their own.....

GO CANUCKS:D
Parker

Post by Parker »

TorontoGM wrote:But that's where the magic of TECHNOLOGY comes in. I got more SNL dvds than regular movies.
I am aware of the technology of DVD's. :P

I was referring more to the fact that a lot of SNL (and spoof comedy in general) is topical and it's a lot harder to really appreciate it if you weren't around for the current events they're spoofing. I'm the same way with Eddie Murphy's Delerious vs. his later standup Raw. Delerious is very funny, but because most of the stuff he makes fun of happened in the late 70's when I didn't have much of a clue what was going on in the world, I get so much more out of Raw, which is based on stuff happening in the world when I was actually aware of current events.

Go Nucks though. :D
Montreal Canadiens

San Jose has huge problems on defense, and I think the Sedins are going to light them up. SJ is a better team than what they showed in Game 1, but I don't think it's going to make a huge difference. Vlasic, Murray, Huskins, Demers, are all average defensmen. Boyle is the only legit defensemen on this team, but even then, he's more of a rover. They gave up a ton of room to Detroit, and they gave up a ton of room to the Sedins last night. They chase the puck like no other, and that's going to be their achilles heal.

Pavelski got pounded last night, going to be up to him and the second-tier guys to step up fro SJ. Thornton was good, Marleau was OK, the SJ defense was awful. As I honestly expected. I said it from the beginning, that I thought this series may be Vancouver's easiest thus far. Not saying they are sweeping or going to win convincingly, but in terms of space, and offensive chances, SJ is without a doubt the easiest thus far. Which plays right into VAN's game. They have a knack for starting some games slow, and if you're down 2 goals to NSH you're fucked, but if you're down 2 goals to SJ, it's really not as threatening. They've given up the most goals in the 2nd and 3rd periods for a reason.

Game 2 is going to be huge tomorrow night.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Pretty unfair, IMO, to write SJ off like that. They just finished up a rough series with DET while VAN got to sit at home and just watch. Now that SJ got a couple days off and a chance to catch their breath, I can't imagine that they'd play worse.

Their defense is above average, but it will look average against VAN's cycle and offensive zone spacing because there isn't a lot of speed on SJ's defense. It's just built differently. They rely on their forwards playing in all three zones.

I'm not saying SJ will win the series, but I'd bet on them to play significantly better, perhaps win, tonight.
Adam Burke
Montreal Canadiens

What a gutless play from a good for nothing hockey player in Ben Eager. Guy obviously went out on the ice looking to target a Canuck, and he picks Daniel Sedin.

Lost some respect for Todd McLellan as well. Since when does he put out Eager against the Sedins.
CapsGM

Post by CapsGM »

Things sure got out of hand in a hurry tonight.
Montreal Canadiens

Like I said, SJ's D is god awful. So is their forecheck. Back to the drawing board for them.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

TITTIES FTW!
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Montreal Canadiens

I took like the exact picture while viewing through my PVR lol.
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

LOOOL!
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

Watched the game on NBC today. (Hey, no horse racing!) SJ looked really out of whack, even with PP after PP in the first. VAN should end this in 5, unless the real Luongo comes back. And where has Dany Heatley gone?
Jungle Cats

Post by Jungle Cats »

Vancouver's a good team, but San Jose has been atrocious. How they got to the conference finals is beyond the scale of my comprehension.
Montreal Canadiens

1 win away from the SCF!! Woohoo, last one is always the toughest to win.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

BIEKSAURUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jungle Cats

Post by Jungle Cats »

well. go bruins.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

TorontoGM wrote:WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

BIEKSAURUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cat earned himself at least an extra 500k per season in his next contract with this series.
Adam Burke
Montreal Canadiens

Yeah I think he was a bit overpaid at $3.75M so I'm hoping he re-signs for $4M.

CANUCKS GOING TO THE CUP WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Like I said, San Jose's defense let them down in this series. Sedins DOMINATED.

Return to “The Sports Bar”