Detroit goes crazy at the draft

Moderator: SharksGM

jamesredwings

Detroit goes crazy at the draft

Post by jamesredwings »

With pick #1, 10 and 17, Detroit desperately tried to get 2 picks in the top 5 in order to get Larsson and one of the top centers but failed. After weeks of trying a different strategy opened 24 hours before the draft when the Flyers came calling with Mike Richards availability. Strong negotiation between the two parties amounted the day before. A long sleepless night by Det GM (not really) came with a vision of Richards passing to Perry for the playoff clinching goal and we became more lenient. 10 minutes before draft time Flyers accepted an almost one on one trade Richards for Larsson.

The excitement of the trade became paralyzing for Detroit GM when he realized that Larsson was supposed to fill the hole left by Lidstrom. Oh my god! No doubt Flyers win the long term trade as Larsson will surely be Norris bound. Therefore with #10 and 17 in our hands we went fishing to the Isles to see if we could get #6 pick.

It was the GM`s first draft and he hadn`t realised it was a long process. Not only that by no one could find the Isles GM. With the sleepless night, Det GM actually fell asleep on the couch (that part is true). He did not know that the Isles GM had accepted the trade and everyone was shouting about the delay. A few hours later, Dougie Hamilton was a Detroit RedWing.

To our surprise, Adam Lowry who we had at #17 on our list was still available for the secound round pick!

Draft result:

Mike Richards #1(26 years old signed for 5 years at a decent price)
Dougie Hamilton #6
Adam Lowry C 2nd round

3 good 1st round picks in my book.

If you are keeping score :

Zets, Dats and Larsson for Perry, Sbisa, Hamilton, Richards, Backstrom, Zherdev, Elias, Lowry and I am sure I am forgetting someone

Return to “Team News”