Survival of the Fittest

Moderator: SharksGM

Jets GM

Survival of the Fittest

Post by Jets GM »

Survival of the Fittest
Lightning continue to be a enigma few can solve

Massacre and bloodbath. A serial killer GM, destroying a championship caliber team in the blink of an eye. The winning-est team in EHEC history ignited and torched in a matter of days, a firesale that will not soon be forgotten. “It was tough, no doubt” commented TB GM Cote, who spoke for the first time since last off-seasons mass exodus. ’People that want to see the team win needed someone to blame, being the guy who was trading everyone one away...I’m an easy target.’

A tragic and shocking career ending injury to Vincent Lecavalier that shook the foundation of the Lightning organization presented a serious predicament for Cote, try to patch the gaping wound left by Lecavalier or take the loss and suffer through real change? “I’m put in a situation with two likely outcomes, you make what you think is the best choice and go with it.” An unpopular decision among fans, whispers of tanking from league office and a general sense that Cote had lost control of the Lightning and it’s future circulated around the league.

49 games later, the whispers of doubt have transformed into befuddlement and frustration. “You look at the roster and laugh before the game” says an unnamed NHL player “then you look at the scoreboard after and go how the hell did that just happen?”. Recent wins over EHEC’s elite, Columbus and Washington have cemented the fact the Lightning are a legitimate playoff threat.

“All along, I had a general plan of what I thought would get us another Cup” reflects Cote; “Things happen, guys become available you never thought would and you have to try. I’m sorry that I may have hurt or offended fans, teams or officials. Its business, nothing personal”. 8th spot with 33 games left, the Lightning have a long road ahead with Buffalo and Philadelphia firmly in sight in TBs rear view mirror. “It doesn’t concern us, were a team that’s going to go out and compete shift after shift” affirms enforcer David Clarkson. “Win or lose, were trying to beat the tar off you. And if we don't, best believe we will come back next game and try to do it again”.

Turd Ferguson
Most recent file here.

Return to “Team News”