Gudbranson Market Heating Up (Update: Gudbranson Traded?)

Moderator: SharksGM

Virtual Jarmo

Gudbranson Market Heating Up (Update: Gudbranson Traded?)

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

It's not often when a 21-year-old defenseman with shutdown abilities and a punishing physical stature goes on the trade block, but that's exactly what has happened in Columbus. The Jackets, who have really struggled in the absence of Ryan Stoa, may be looking for yet another shake-up. While it's too early to determine what, if any, impact the moves made during the All-Star break will have, Burke is not sitting on his hands and waiting to see how the cards fall. He's being very active and is doing so by putting one the game's premier defensive defensemen on the block.

Erik Gudbranson, a 6'3", 215 lbs bruising defenseman, has garnered quite a bit of interest since Burke started sending out feelers on the trade market. "We like the interest we've gotten in Erik so far," Burke said while walking around the arena prior to Saturday night's game against the Minnesota Wild. "Heavy hitters in both conferences have inquired, along with teams that are in a rebuilding state. Obviously, the nature of the proposal is dependent on where each team is in the standings, but it looks like we'll have some very good offers to pick from."

When pressed further, Burke would not directly state any of the interested teams. "We're not trading Erik within the division. At least not at this point." Gudbranson has 15 assists in 43 games, a drop-off from his 30-point season with the Islanders last season. He is still looking for his first goal as a member of the Blue Jackets.

Gudbranson admits that the trade speculation is a distraction. "I don't like playing with uncertainty," Gudbranson said after the team's optional morning skate. "I understand that it's a business and I just have to play through it. Adam assured me that it has nothing to do with my play."

"Like he said, it has nothing to do with his play. He leads our team in hits and offense isn't supposed to be a part of his game," Burke added when asked about Gudbranson's comments.

As for what the Jackets might be looking for in a Gudbranson trade, Burke smiled. "We're not giving this kid away for circus peanuts. We want help up front, the same thing we wanted during the All-Star break. We're 49 games into the season and don't have a 20-goal scorer yet. That's embarrassing. There's too much talent on this team for it to struggle at scoring goals. Scoring help would be nice."

Ultimately, the hope is that the Jackets can generate a bidding war and maximize their return. "The teams involved are good, I'd say a few of them are Stanley Cup contenders. I think we've got some leverage here. And we'll use it."
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Virtual Jarmo

Re: Gudbranson Market Heating Up

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

The Columbus Dispatch is hearing that the Blue Jackets have agreed to terms on an Erik Gudbranson trade with an unspecified team. A source embedded within the front office is reporting that the deal is a "4-for-1", with the Blue Jackets getting "two roster players" for Gudbranson. The amount of secrecy throughout the negotiating process has been surprising, with all the social media at the disposal of the beat writers and the amount of rumors that circulate on a daily basis. One report did have Evgeny Kuznetsov as a possible return for Gudbranson, but the unnamed source would only confirm that Gudbranson was not going to the Penguins. Another report said that a "rebuilding Eastern Conference team" was in the mix for Gudbranson, but the consensus around the league seems to be that the primary trade targets were in play, but the supplemental pieces were what prevented a deal.

If Gudbranson is in fact traded, the deal is unlikely to be processed by tonight, so Gudbranson will be in the lineup for the Blue Jackets against the Detroit Red Wings. GM Adam Burke declined comment on the team or the package of players returning, stating only that "the trade is at the 1-yard-line."

We previously reported that as many as five teams had interest in Gudbranson and that most were heavy hitters. Head coach Ken Hitchcock was seen walking out of Nationwide Arena for lunch with Gudbranson and Burke, but waved off requests for comment.

Gudbranson was acquired back in June in the franchise-changing Rick Nash trade with the New York Islanders. So far, that trade has worked out well for the Jackets, who received Maxim Kitsyn (19 + 17 = 36), goaltender Pekka Rinne, the Islanders 2012 first round pick, which became Brendan Gaunce, who is currently developing in Springfield, along with the 2012 Islanders second round pick, which became Anthony Stolarz. Stolarz was traded to Pittsburgh in the Colby Armstrong deal, another trade that has worked out for the Jackets.

But, from what we are hearing, we expect the Gudbranson trade to be announced sometime this evening and, pending league approval, that tonight will be Gudbranson's final game for the Jackets.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
GM Office Q

Re: Gudbranson Market Heating Up

Post by GM Office Q »

So, Luongo to Columbus? :lol:
jamesredwings

Re: Gudbranson Market Heating Up (Update: Gudbranson Traded?)

Post by jamesredwings »

I think he should be pulled during the second period by Pierre Gauthier

Return to “Team News”