Lunch

Moderator: SharksGM

Virtual Jarmo

Lunch

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

I'm eating a salad for lunch (as a meal) and I feel like a pussy.

Discuss.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
GM Office Q

Re: Lunch

Post by GM Office Q »

Mine isn't much better. I had hockey at 8a this morning so I was too lazy to wake up any earlier to cook something proper. I boiled noodles for 10 minutes while I SSSed and pulled 1/2 block of cheese out of the fridge that I'll manually tear up at lunch time and put the pieces on the noodles, hoping that 1:30 of microwave time will melt it into mac and cheese.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

This is the last salad I had. (Note the veggies.)

Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Bub(NYR) wrote:This is the last salad I had. (Note the veggies.)

You eat your burger on a bun with two tops?
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Commish Bub(NYR)

Ha! Didn't notice that.

No, of course I don't, that would be disgusting.
Edmonton Mike

Post by Edmonton Mike »

Two top buns? Madness.

I just woke up and went for poutine. If I make it past 35, I'll be lucky.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Edmonton Mike wrote:Two top buns? Madness.

I just woke up and went for poutine. If I make it past 35, I'll be lucky.
God damnit. Now I want poutine. Might have to find a recipe and make the wife make it one day when we don't care what we eat.
Adam Burke
VancouverCanucksGM

Post by VancouverCanucksGM »

Vegetables are what FOOD eats.
Bruins_GM

Post by Bruins_GM »

Chicken Caeser salads aren't that bad.
Parker

Post by Parker »

I'm alright with salad but I can't remember ever eating it AS a meal.
Singin the BLUES

Post by Singin the BLUES »

Wings, wedges and beer...that was MY lunch
Commish Bub(NYR)

I did have a Cobb salad in Chicago a couple years ago that kicked ass. But then that was about 1/2 meat, so there's that.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

VancouverCanucksGM wrote:Vegetables are what FOOD eats.
I agree. At least I had some steak from last night thrown in there. But I joined a gym a few weeks back and I'm really trying to make a concerted effort to eat healthier and feel better.

I don't know how people do it. It's really, really hard to eat healthy, especially if you're a busy person. Not only is it expensive to buy better quality food items and shit, but you really have to make an effort to not just grab Arby's or Taco Bell on the go and eat at fucked up hours when your schedule allows for it. My fiancee and I have already eaten dinner after 8:30 twice over the last week after going to work out. I'm not used to that at all.

It was a rarity for me to eat a salad as a meal, but I'm trying, damnit.
Adam Burke
Edmonton Mike

Post by Edmonton Mike »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:It was a rarity for me to eat a salad as a meal, but I'm trying, damnit.
Good for you! I tried but can't do it. I eat meat all the time. Or pasta. I'll fix myself a nice chicken ceasar salad every now and then but let's be real, with all the dressing + bacon, not a healthy meal by any stretch.
Bruins_GM

Post by Bruins_GM »

There are some decent options for eating healthy fast food out there. Subway is a good catch-all, Wendy's makes good salads (if you don't change your mind for the baconator at the last minute, :oops: ), Jimmy Johns isnt bad for you, Tim Hortons soup/sandwich combo can be balanced, Chipotle is as good or as bad as you want it to be, etc...
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Subway, always not fresh.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

I hate Subway. Jimmy John's isn't worth it for me because I don't like anything except meat and cheese on a cold sandwich. About the best I'll do on a hot sandwich is mayo and cooked onions. We don't have Tim Horton's in the Cleveland area and Chipotle is far and away the absolute most overrated eating establishment in the country. There's a place here in Cleveland called Ohio City Burrito and it's so far and away better than Chipotle that it's nearly impossible to mention them in the same breath.

Honeybaked Ham's lunch sandwiches are delicious, but I have a hard time paying $7 for a couple slices of meat on bread, no matter how damn good the ham and turkey club from there is.

I don't mind Wendy's. Usually grab two 4 pc spicy nuggets and a fry. Not that healthy, but whatever. I have gone to McDonalds for lunch or dinner maybe twice in the last six months. I used to be a big fan. Not so much anymore. Their sausage biscuits are still awesome. We go to Guthrie's, it's a fried chicken place that makes everything to order. Not healthy as it's obviously deep-fried, but it's really good and it doesn't sit on the stomach as bad as some of those other places.

Taco Bell and Arby's are our go-to fast food places. I think we could do a lot worse than those two. With my order at Taco Bell, it's more carbs than fat, so I don't think that's a huge deal. And the Arby's roast beef has to be better than a burger or greasy chicken from somewhere else.

But, overall, it's just too damn pricey and too damn time-consuming to adhere to strict diets of food that's good for you. Ever walk into a Whole Foods or Earth Fare or something? No wonder third world countries hate us. They can't even get bread, but Americans will gladly spend $5 on a loaf of some multi-grain abomination. Even organic produce in big box chain grocery stores is ridiculous. Better off driving 45 minutes away from town to go to a produce stand or a farmer's market or hoping you have the land and soil to grow things yourself.

Hoping it's enough to just cut portion size, scale back on drinking soda, and not get fast food too often. Not expecting a huge transformation, just to be healthier.
Adam Burke
Commish Bub(NYR)

Exercise exercise exercise. Even just moderate walking can help, especially if you're just looking to feel better and healthier, and not trying to go all Charles Atlas. And it's free.

For me, it's been that and moderate weight work at the campus gym. Also -- like you mentioned -- cutting way down on sodas. I'll have one maybe once a week now, which is down from 2-3 a day during my heyday. That probably made the biggest difference in how I felt.

We have Tim Horton's here in Maine and it's pretty meh. We stopped eating fast food burgers b/c who the fuck knows what's in them. We have a new Panera Bread and while it's pretty good, it's pretty expensive. We're lucky here in that we have a couple of really good bakeries and small local stores, and this metro area is small enough that you're never more than 10 minutes away from any of them.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

We got a gym membership during a promotional period for $99 for the year. I'm good with that. Place is clean, only a couple of years old, and has a ton of machines. They have a really cool area called the 30-Minute Workout that's got 10 steps for cardio and 10 machines that work various muscle groups. The suggestion is 12 reps per machine and there's a light that turns red to stop, green to go, with a 30-second break to wipe down your previous machine. I've been doing 25 on a treadmill, 15 on an elliptical, and then the 30-minute circuit. I try to do enough weight on the machines for both strength training and toning. I realize I'm not building a ton of strength, but I haven't done any weight training since high school, so it's almost like starting over.

As somebody who always hated running and weight lifting when I played hockey in high school, I'm surprised at how good I feel after a workout. I wasn't sure I'd enjoy it enough for the investment, but whatever chemicals get released in the brain afterwards do their job of making you feel better about yourself, even though the results clearly don't show up right away.

Wish I hadn't wasted the awesome rec center I had in college, but the walk there was 15-20 minutes by itself from my apartment, the campus had several wind tunnel areas, and parking spaces were like gold, so I didn't want to drive over there. Did use it to play ping pong twice a week after class, though.

Pat, I'm still drinking too many sodas, mostly with food. I won't drink one just to drink one throughout the day, which is a good change. I also get headaches if I don't have one at some point, apparently because my body is so used to caffeine. Like everything else, a work in progress.
Adam Burke
GM Office Q

Post by GM Office Q »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:We got a gym membership during a promotional period for $99 for the year. I'm good with that. Place is clean, only a couple of years old, and has a ton of machines. They have a really cool area called the 30-Minute Workout that's got 10 steps for cardio and 10 machines that work various muscle groups. The suggestion is 12 reps per machine and there's a light that turns red to stop, green to go, with a 30-second break to wipe down your previous machine. I've been doing 25 on a treadmill, 15 on an elliptical, and then the 30-minute circuit. I try to do enough weight on the machines for both strength training and toning. I realize I'm not building a ton of strength, but I haven't done any weight training since high school, so it's almost like starting over.
Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:the campus had several wind tunnel areas
Femur

Post by Femur »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:... I'm surprised at how good I feel after a workout. ...
yeah, now get back on the ice you loser
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Femur wrote:
Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:... I'm surprised at how good I feel after a workout. ...
yeah, now get back on the ice you loser
I am on Saturday.

I have a game to ref.
Adam Burke
Femur

Post by Femur »

i mean on Fridays and you knew that
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Femur wrote:i mean on Fridays and you knew that
What's Batzel charge nowadays? $26?

I'll maybe make a cameo appearance one week if you go and if Jenni lets Chuck out of his cage.
Adam Burke
Montreal Canadiens

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

lol to some of these pics.

Starting in I think August of 2011, to July of 2012, I lost about 85 pounds, and it's stupid hard. I use to eat fast-food, Mcdonalds, Wendys, Burger King, you name it, I ate it. Probably drinking 1-2 cans of pop a day, eatin chips, or cookies, icecream, or whatever the hell else was in my house at a given time late at night. I had unhealthy dinners, mashed potatoes, those instant noodles (sidekicks here in Kanata), hot dogs, burgers, chicken fingers, anything, well delicious.

so, back in the end of that summer, I cut out EVERYTHING. All I ate (besides 1 cheat day on Saturday a week) was Chicken, Rice, Salad, Wraps, Fruit, Veggies, and Granola Bars. Also there was a gym in the old condo building I lived in, so I went in there and ran on the treadmill 3-4 times a week. I only started out being able to make it about 10-15 minutes on about 5 ish speed, by the end of the next summer I could run for 70-80 minutes at 6-6.5 speed, so it become kinda boring lol, but that's what they said though is working out does become fun (which it was until I kinda peaked). I ended up doing some of those "home" workout programs, like UFC Fit, and stuff, which actually was quite successful. In the 30 day program, I lost about 10 pounds. You do a bunch of exercises that last about 15-30 min+, starts as short ones and u build up to longer exercise, but that was 5 times a week over a month.

But, since then, I stopped working out regularly and focusing on diet, and I've gained about 15 lbs back actually. Which is probably more normal for me because I was a bit too skinny before, but I want to get back started it's just hard to get started. Which gaining 15 lbs back in a year isn't a ton, 12+ months , about 1 lb a month, but over time adds up.

I agree Adam, it's so much easier just to eat fast food. I use to be at the grocery store every 3-4 days re-stocking up on healthy food, whereas you could just go get a meal for $5 down at Mcdonalds. It's ridiculous, should be the other way around, would maybe force more people to eat healthier if they raised the prices on fast food. I've gone back to occasionally eating some junk food (hence the weight gain) but basically I've stopped running and just become lazy again, the only thing I've really stuck to not eating is fast food (Mcdonalds, BK, Wendys) I've had a bagel at Tim Hortons, (maybe a donut as well) and ate subway, just not the grease fest burgers, also still don't drink pop, which I would say if anybody is thinking about starting a diet and drinks pop, cut that out first, you'll be surprised how good you feel and how you don't get those tired "dead" moments in the afternoon or whatever.
Femur

Post by Femur »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:
Femur wrote:i mean on Fridays and you knew that
What's Batzel charge nowadays? $26?

I'll maybe make a cameo appearance one week if you go and if Jenni lets Chuck out of his cage.
okay, you know that is not going to happen, so why not just say no? i expect you to be up there the three or four times this year i can make it. dick
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Femur wrote:okay, you know that is not going to happen, so why not just say no? i expect you to be up there the three or four times this year i can make it. dick
You never tell me when you're going.

Even if you did, I'd probably ignore it.

Better chance of seeing you at a Monsters game trolling for single moms of whatever squirt or peewee team is at the game that night.
Adam Burke
Femur

Post by Femur »

Femur wrote:okay, you know that is not going to happen, so why not just say no? i expect you to be up there the three or four times this year i can make it. dick

Better chance of seeing you at a Monsters game trolling for single moms of whatever squirt or peewee team is at the game that night.
make no mistake, i never called because you retired from playing. i am done with begging. it didn't work in my marriage.

now, where are these hot moms...
Bruins_GM

Post by Bruins_GM »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote: Hoping it's enough to just cut portion size, scale back on drinking soda, and not get fast food too often. Not expecting a huge transformation, just to be healthier.
Soda? 'The fuck is this, Pennsylvania?

Cutting back on pop helps a TON, you can cut 10 lbs. in a month by doing nothing but getting rid of pop.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

I think one of the most important things a person can do to improve their health and to help feel better is to drink more water. I drink at least 3-4 litres a day.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Eating healthy isn't more expensive than eating out constantly. Starches are cheap - rice and pasta especially, bread a little less so. Some fresh fruits and vegetables are expensive, so just buy cheaper ones if you're on a budget. Dairy products are tough, but apparently milk is cheaper in the US than in Canada. Meat & fish can be expensive, but if you're buying the cheapest stuff possible (what else do you think goes into fast food), you can keep costs similar to take out.

The time it takes to cook and clean is another thing, but at least you know what you're putting into your meal and can make sure to wash your hands properly. And if you need more convincing, just watch a few episodes of Kitchen Nightmares.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Bruins_GM wrote:
Commissioner (CBJ) wrote: Hoping it's enough to just cut portion size, scale back on drinking soda, and not get fast food too often. Not expecting a huge transformation, just to be healthier.
Soda? 'The fuck is this, Pennsylvania?

Cutting back on pop helps a TON, you can cut 10 lbs. in a month by doing nothing but getting rid of pop.
Fiancee says soda. It's stuck with me now. Most times I just use the name of whatever I'm drinking.
Adam Burke
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Femur wrote:

make no mistake, i never called because you retired from playing. i am done with begging. it didn't work in my marriage.

now, where are these hot moms...
They're there. Somewhere. I'll be able to start scouting on Saturday. Squirt moms aren't as good as mite moms, but Mite ADM sucks, so I'll just look at squirt moms. Can find some peewee and bantam moms that are still good looking, but squirt's where it's at now.

And yes, I am retired. I had a short prime.
Adam Burke
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

1) Eat a shit ton for breakfast to give you body energy to burn fat all day
2) Eat every 2 hours, but eat little portions.
3) Don't drink juice (even if it looks healthy, its probably not) or pops (even if it's diet, bullshit).
4) Eat as much fruits and vedgies as you want. Especially the ones that are easy to grab because you're lazy (carrots, cucumbers, peaches, raspberries)
5) Try to Eat protein over carbs (chicken over pasta)
6) Don't do cardio only at the gym, weights to turn your fat into muscle. Sets of 15-20 reps per set to get you sweating or circuit training. No 4 rep 3min break douche bullshit.
7) Don't have a fixed day for cheat meal, they will come often lol.
8) Biking burns the beer gut more, running burns the man titties more.
9) Don't eat before bed
10) Take a day to cook healthy buzzkill shit for the whole week
11) Subway is not healthy, not fresh, their sauces are fatning as fuck. McDonalds salads used to be worst than Big Macs in terms of unhealthy shit.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Bern is the new Richard Simmons.
Femur

Post by Femur »

sounds like good advice, Bern, but need help with # 10. what is "cook healthy buzzkill shit "? (and does the French sound better?)
Commish Bub(NYR)

Femur wrote:sounds like good advice, Bern, but need help with # 10. what is "cook healthy buzzkill shit "? (and does the French sound better?)
The Babelfish version: "cuisiner sain buzzkill merde." So, yes, it's better in French. :lol:
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Bub(NYR) wrote:Bern is the new Richard Simmons.
Adam Burke
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Bub(NYR) wrote:
Femur wrote:sounds like good advice, Bern, but need help with # 10. what is "cook healthy buzzkill shit "? (and does the French sound better?)
The Babelfish version: "cuisiner sain buzzkill merde." So, yes, it's better in French. :lol:
:D In french it translates as, cook healthy, fucking buzzkill! Who's Richard Siemens?
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Penguin wrote:Who's Richard Siemens?
Richard Siemens is some guy with a really unfortunate name.

Richard Simmons is this guy:

Adam Burke
Montreal Canadiens

11) Subway is not healthy, not fresh, their sauces are fatning as fuck. McDonalds salads used to be worst than Big Macs in terms of unhealthy shit.
If I go to subway I always order their "6 grams or less" sandwich, whether or not that's a lie who the heck knows.
Singin the BLUES

I am 43 yrs old, and the way i live, i do what i want, eat what i want. I have heard alot of shit through my years on earth about this is good for you and this is bad for you. As far as i am concerned, make yourself happy, fuck em all :)
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:
If I go to subway I always order their "6 grams or less" sandwich, whether or not that's a lie who the heck knows.
It's not a lie, but it's 6 grams of fat with lettuce/tomatoes/peppers or something, not including sauces and special breads. Also fat content is far from the only important nutritional factor - sugar, salt, calorie content matters too, not to mention the type of fat.
VancouverCanucksGM

Post by VancouverCanucksGM »

Singin the BLUES wrote:I am 43 yrs old, and the way i live, i do what i want, eat what i want. I have heard alot of shit through my years on earth about this is good for you and this is bad for you. As far as i am concerned, make yourself happy, fuck em all :)
That's easy to do depending on what size you are :-)
Montreal Canadiens

SharksGM wrote:
Montreal Canadiens wrote:
It's not a lie, but it's 6 grams of fat with lettuce/tomatoes/peppers or something, not including sauces and special breads. Also fat content is far from the only important nutritional factor - sugar, salt, calorie content matters too, not to mention the type of fat.
yeah I get the ham, with no cheese, lettuce, pickles, pepper, and honey mustard (which is fat-free I think...?) just on white too since im not a huge fan of whole wheat (even though its apparently better for you).
Jungle Cats

Post by Jungle Cats »

Falafel erry day.
Singin the BLUES

Falafel? They taste exactly how they sound....fuckin Falafel
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Singin the BLUES wrote:Falafel? They taste exactly how they sound....fuckin Falafel
... awesome, right?

One last piece of advice - if you can't get good fruit/vegetables or they're out of season, get the frozen/canned variety. You're welcome.

Return to “The Sports Bar”