NHL '14

Moderator: SharksGM

VancouverCanucksGM

NHL '14

Post by VancouverCanucksGM »

Anyone playing it....on ps3? 8-)
Last edited by VancouverCanucksGM on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnaheimGM

Re: NHL '14

Post by AnaheimGM »

yes, on x-box 360
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

No chance I'm going to pay full retail for this shit. EA can fuck themselves with their lazy ass updates.
Last edited by SharksGM on Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

SharksGM wrote:No chance I'm going to play full retail for this shit. EA can fuck themselves with their lazy ass updates.
It's actually a lot better, your loss.
Edmonton Mike

Post by Edmonton Mike »

Meh. The game is visually nice and all but I think EA tries to hard to improve aspects of their game that are not important, to me at least. Obviously -and understandably so- they're focusing on online play, which I grew tired of.

The AI is fairly deficient again in 14 and I would prefer if they really worked on this rather than improving secondary stuff like fights and Hockey Ultimate Team (who the fuck plays this?!). I understand a lot of "hockey fans" think fighting is a major part of the game, thus this desire to make fighting a better experience and a major part of the game. Shouldn't be a priority and your top selling argument though.

Speaking of scraps, if I wanted to get into them every five fucking minutes, I would've bought Fight Nights instead of NHL14. I'm turning them off now since I always get jumped on everytime I throw a big hit on someone. Playing with Dustin Byfuglien was a huge mistake. I spent more time in the box serving majors than on the ice.

Any sliders I can adjust to make skills more realistic? If I'm playing with Sidney Crosby, I should be able to beat Doug Murray in a foot race for the puck, which is not the case in this game.
Montreal Canadiens

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

I got it for 360. I think it's actually really good. I had the EA sports pre-release and that was like NHL Hitz of a few years ago. In an online VS mode, we would combine for about 100 hits. They brought out a tuner set, that people are using now that brought down the hits a bit, but in VS they are still pretty huge and yeah when you lay someone out having to fight after is a bit tiresome but the fighting is awesome, it's like a UFC fight, where you square off, so that's pretty cool.

I play a lot of be a pro online (EASHL) and the 2013 NHL was a complete joke. Your be a pro's couldn't skate, couldn't fire a one-timer, couldn't pivot on the forecheck (or on defense). This '14 version right now is I think the best one they've made to this date. Whether or not they come out with a tuner set that completely fucks it up I'm not sure, but so far best one I've played. It's realistic, your players suck initially but atleast they can skate properly and shoot properly like a normal NHL'er.

You don't see as big as hits in EASHL as you do online VS, which again, is realistic, you have a 60 OA player, he's not going to throw a huge body check everytime. You can get huge hits though if a guy is skating at you with full speed and you hit him at the right angle he'll get flattened. The one thing I haven't really been able to master yet is the 1-touch dekes, but with time should figure it out. I haven't seen any glitch goal shots yet either (except the wrap-around in online vs). I thought EA fixed that after their 09 issue with the same glitch.

Goalies make some ridiculous saves. Always nice to see. I wish deflected pucks would go in more as in real life a lot of goals are scored on deflects, not so much in '14, but again, a minor issue.

The CPU AI is much improved as well, they use to do the dumbest shit and not be able to pick off passes and what not. They wouldn't even dump the puck properly sometimes while shorthanded. Not only does the CPU AI throw some devastating body checks but they for the most part do everything right (except make some shitty passes). The only thing that is stupid right now is if you are standing in front of the net (screening, looking for a deflect) the CPU AI D will completely level you and they will get called for an interference penalty (and rightfully so) but they do it everytime, so there is a lot of CPU AI penalties.

Faceoffs are much improved, last year you had people doing the faceoff glitch (popping in and out) now you have the advantage for holding your stick down from the beginning.

I'm quite happy with it right now overall, minor things, but considering NHL 13 was complete garbage and I ended up selling it on Used Victoria 2 months later and only playing randomly with buddies online at the same house, I'm really impressed with 14. Best one they've made since EASHL came out that's for sure.

I couldn't give a fuck about Hockey Ultimate Team as well, never even gone into the mode. GM Connected is fun, if you have enough friends that will pay attention to it.
Singin the BLUES

Post by Singin the BLUES »

The hits are ALOT better and the fighting is great. IMo the goalies are alot faster as well....so overall it is alot better then 13......this is for Xbox
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

I love having friends who work at EA, I haven't paid full price for an EA game since '08. 8-)

But I can't imagine I'll be playing NHL 14 much after GTA is released on the 17th.
Parker

Post by Parker »

TorontoGM wrote:But I can't imagine I'll be playing NHL 14 much after GTA is released on the 17th.
Hah no kidding, I'm pretty excited about GTA5 myself.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

How the hell do you guys have time to play video games? I barely have enough time to take a decent shit with how busy I am.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
VancouverCanucksGM

Post by VancouverCanucksGM »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:How the hell do you guys have time to play video games? I barely have enough time to take a decent shit with how busy I am.
Prioritize.

ALWAYS make time for a decent shit, otherwise it could ruin your day.

Second, make time for games and beer, they'll make sure whatever else you have to do isn't as bad as it seems as long as there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
Montreal Canadiens

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:How the hell do you guys have time to play video games? I barely have enough time to take a decent shit with how busy I am.
Well, on a night where I'm at home, this would be my routine:

Come home from work around 6-7ish (Pacific time), and since the GF is always at work until 9 ish 10, I have a couple hours to do as I wish, so if my friends are online playing I'll jump in and play, so that isn't a problem since the GF isn't home, but she does have 2 nights off a week, and in that case, when I get home at 6 PM, I'll spend about 3.5 hours/4 hours with her, then I'll play a couple of games of NHL (or Madden, or GTAV), starting at around 10, going to about 1130/12, then I will head to bed.
Edmonton Mike

Post by Edmonton Mike »

Be A GM mode is dumb. Habs are starting Budaj ahead of Price. No injury nothing. Was heading to a 60 goal season with Ryan McDonagh. Had Del Zotto on pace for 38. AI sliders right up there, still can't stop my bullets from the blue or make it hard for me.
Now I know I'm a beast at the blue line and all, but escaping forwards trying to prevent shots from the D-men is so easy and slapshots go in way too often.

Still, a lot better than '13, but I know I won't be playing this game anymore come November.

Anyone played Madden 25? I bought '13 and this game is shit. They don't even try anymore.
Montreal Canadiens

Yeah I have Madden too. I loved Madden 13. Thought it was awesome, but for some reason I don't really like 25 yet. I've only played 10 online games (in which im 7-3) but I'm just not a huge fan. Defense is way too hard, and intereceptions happen way too often. I've seen plays where guys sprint across the field and end up getting an INT while the receiver just stands there with a deer in the headlights look. Also I find people don't throw passes more than 5 yards as if you try to throw deep or throw a deep slant or anything it's just picked off.
Edmonton Mike

Post by Edmonton Mike »

Exactly. Why bother with deep throws if they never work. I would always end up passing to my tight end or have my receivers stop and turn around after 7-8 yards and throw at them. Also can't seem to be able to sack the QB. I get no pressure at all.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Try playing the Skills Trainer in Madden, great way to learn how to dominate defensively like me. 8-)

But seriously, VERY useful.

And when it comes to long bombs, just gotta pick your spot. Can't chuck it down the field whenever.
Edmonton Mike

Post by Edmonton Mike »

So basically, all the DBs on my team are clueless and play like they've never been on a field before gametime.
What's the point of playing All-Madden if my DBs have NO idea what's happening? They can't cover shit and get their ankles broken on the first change of direction. And zone Defense? Funny stuff.
Montreal Canadiens

hahhahah my thoughts excatly. All-pro to all-madden there's no difference. DB's get burned so easily on slant routes or quick cuts.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

And how is this different from the actual NFL? :D
Edmonton Mike

Post by Edmonton Mike »

Bub(NYR) wrote:And how is this different from the actual NFL? :D

Return to “The Sports Bar”