Olympics Thread

Moderator: SharksGM

VancouverCanucksGM

Re: Olympics Thread

Post by VancouverCanucksGM »

TorontoGM wrote:
VancouverCanucksGM wrote:
TorontoGM wrote:Oh so it has to be on American television to be a sport. okay.
Call it as you want, they're shown on a lot more TV's than just America's though.

The 4-5 major sports are baseball, basketball, soccer, football, and hockey, no?
Soccer is a international sport.
Basketball, baseball and hockey are limited international sports.
American Football is not an international sport.

Sports isn't about television numbers if it were Cricket rules all.

Okay, so I'll add cricket. Are there any other PROFESSIONAL sports out there besides maybe Rugby?

I mean of course Canadian's are good at things on ice and in snow. But just because I was good with Lego's didn't make me an architect, any more than being good at figure skating makes it a "sport".
Montreal Canadiens

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

Canadians rule at curling. How about that? We're also pretty darn good at what I consider, one of the world's most popular, and biggest sports - UFC.

And a big LOL to anyteam in the LATE 80's or 90's that could beat an NHL team now. I might not have been very old in the Oilers or Penguins dynasty's but I've seen the highlights, those goals are laughable. Goalies were lucky to be on their own two feet never mind make a cross crease save or a sprawling save.

Crosby & Malkin, Toews & Kane, or Datsyuk & Zetterberg would destroy anybody from any previous era. They are way too fast now a days, way too skilled, way too smart. Could you imagine Scott Stevens laying out any one of those 6? Just wouldn't happen, he'd get undressed. He'd step up to make the hit and they'd be 4 steps past him into the offensive zone. The game now in this year is light years above what it used to be. I will agree the hits are fewer & far between but because of the more rules we're also getting to see guys playing into their late 30's early 40's because we're smarter with concussions and injuries.

Also, Price / Lundqvist didn't make the difference at all. Price was average IMO. He didn't stand on his head Luongo esque of 2010, but he didn't lose any games for them either. He made a couple good stops vs the states, 1 vs Finland (off Salo I believe) but for the most part was barely tested. Could count Sweden's scoring chances on one hand. As Dan said, the defense just absolutely dominated, everything was kept to the outside, very minimal time spent in their own zone. Babcock could have played goalie and they would have won gold still.

Interesting how Russia ends up with the most medals?
VancouverCanucksGM

Montreal Canadiens wrote:Canadians rule at curling. How about that? We're also pretty darn good at what I consider, one of the world's most popular, and biggest sports - UFC.
UFC? There might be one or 2 decent fighters outside of GSP, but it's not like they're going to be challenging the Brazilian any time soon.
And a big LOL to anyteam in the LATE 80's or 90's that could beat an NHL team now. I might not have been very old in the Oilers or Penguins dynasty's but I've seen the highlights, those goals are laughable. Goalies were lucky to be on their own two feet never mind make a cross crease save or a sprawling save.
Grant Fuhr, Patrick Roy, Mike Vernon, Andy Moog, Curtis Joseph, Felix Potvin....hardly guys who were "lucky to be on their own two feet". That's the problem though, you only see hilites. The same way you see the goals as laughable, is the same way I see today's goals. Nobody hindering the other players, players holding up from hitting other players because they don't know if they pussy is going to turn into the boards at the last second to draw a penalty.
Crosby & Malkin, Toews & Kane, or Datsyuk & Zetterberg would destroy anybody from any previous era. They are way too fast now a days, way too skilled, way too smart. Could you imagine Scott Stevens laying out any one of those 6? Just wouldn't happen, he'd get undressed. He'd step up to make the hit and they'd be 4 steps past him into the offensive zone. The game now in this year is light years above what it used to be. I will agree the hits are fewer & far between but because of the more rules we're also getting to see guys playing into their late 30's early 40's because we're smarter with concussions and injuries.
I'd put them up against Bure and Mogilny, Sakic and Forsberg, Gretzky and Kurri, Lemieux and Jagr, Yzerman and Federov, LaFontaine and Mogilny, Kariya and Selanne, or even Oates and Hull. Imagine how much better those players would be with the technology/health advances they have today. Yeah, great we have players dragging out their careers, yeah, some keep their skill level, but not many.

As for Scott Stevens.

Langkow, Willis, Francis, Kozlov, and especially Kariya, all had bad run in's with Stevens. Again, here's how we see things differently, you think they'd just "skate around him", I think they'd be skating with such and air of them not being able to be hit, that it'd set them up perfectly to get drilled. Guys like Stevens, Marchment, and Kasparaitis would put guys in the hospital now-a-days. I've watched Cindy get belted by guys that were worse and slower than Stevens
Also, Price / Lundqvist didn't make the difference at all. Price was average IMO. He didn't stand on his head Luongo esque of 2010, but he didn't lose any games for them either. He made a couple good stops vs the states, 1 vs Finland (off Salo I believe) but for the most part was barely tested. Could count Sweden's scoring chances on one hand. As Dan said, the defense just absolutely dominated, everything was kept to the outside, very minimal time spent in their own zone. Babcock could have played goalie and they would have won gold still.
I never said Price was anything special, just solid.

As for Lundqvist, I'm pretty sure he would want the first 2 goals back, as one was a deflection and the other was stoppable.
Well, let's be honest, there was no way the Putin would allow them to lose. They probably had the best doping agents around 8-0.

Russia almost had as many medals this year, as the last 2 Olympics combined.

If it was 65 in Sochi for these games, can't wait to see the weather in Korea in 4 years.
Singin the BLUES

Post by Singin the BLUES »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:Canadians rule at curling. How about that? We're also pretty darn good at what I consider, one of the world's most popular, and biggest sports - UFC.

IMO 80% of what was posted here is the dumbest shit I have ever seen......especially about Stevens......He caught and laid out some of the NHLs elite players.........

Just when u think u have seen the dumbest posts, he comes up with another one hahahaha.

I agree with Vancouver Gms posts
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

It's been a pretty decent discussion thus far, so let's make sure that we keep things civil, guys.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

SharksGM wrote:lol at baseball being a major sport across the globe.
So you're saying they DON'T play baseball across the globe?

Huh, that's funny, where do all those foreign players come from?
Mostly nations along the Caribbean, Japan and Taiwan. That hardly qualifies as a major sport across the globe.
VancouverCanucksGM wrote:Grant Fuhr, Patrick Roy, Mike Vernon, Andy Moog, Curtis Joseph, Felix Potvin....hardly guys who were "lucky to be on their own two feet". That's the problem though, you only see hilites. The same way you see the goals as laughable, is the same way I see today's goals. Nobody hindering the other players, players holding up from hitting other players because they don't know if they pussy is going to turn into the boards at the last second to draw a penalty.

I'd put them up against Bure and Mogilny, Sakic and Forsberg, Gretzky and Kurri, Lemieux and Jagr, Yzerman and Federov, LaFontaine and Mogilny, Kariya and Selanne, or even Oates and Hull. Imagine how much better those players would be with the technology/health advances they have today. Yeah, great we have players dragging out their careers, yeah, some keep their skill level, but not many.
Could you maybe take a break from the internet male bullshit about today's game being pussified or whatever the fuck you're ranting about and actually make a coherent argument?

So far you've said that in today's NHL, penalties are way up (they're not, they're as low or lower than any time in the last 30 years), too much has been done to increase scoring (and yet scoring is also down pretty low), goalie equipment is too small (even though it's fucking enormous compared to the 80's) and defense is pathetic and allows for easy chances on net (and yet scoring is low because modern goalies are putting up higher sv % than ever). You criticize the modern NHL for trying to increase scoring and yet your favourite eras are ones where scoring was by far the highest of any period in the NHL's history. Your opinions are a mess of nonsensical contradictions and fake machismo. If late 80's/early 90's goalies are so great, why were they such leaky sieves compared to modern goalies? Felix Potvin, seriously? The guy had 3-4 good years as a Leaf and was shit afterwards.

I'm glad the NHL doesn't give a fuck about shitty fans like you. I'm glad I don't have to watch the kind of ridiculous hockey that you love so much, where giant slow defensemen were allowed to hook and hold on to the tiny fraction of players with any skill to prevent them from ever getting into scoring position. Yeah, I look fondly on the days when Lemieux's career was cut short by endless crosschecks to his back by worthless lumps, or when defensemen could backcheck by hooking onto his waist in the neutral zone like a t-bar.
VancouverCanucksGM

SharksGM wrote:Mostly nations along the Caribbean, Japan and Taiwan. That hardly qualifies as a major sport across the globe.
So in order to be "across the world", it has to be every country?
SharksGM wrote:Could you maybe take a break from the internet male bullshit about today's game being pussified or whatever the fuck you're ranting about and actually make a coherent argument?
Don't feel that my argument isn't "coherent", just because YOU don't agree/understand it. You're the same type of pitiful fan the league panders too. Enjoy your figure skating shinny.
So far you've said that in today's NHL, penalties are way up (they're not, they're as low or lower than any time in the last 30 years), too much has been done to increase scoring (and yet scoring is also down pretty low), goalie equipment is too small (even though it's fucking enormous compared to the 80's) and defense is pathetic and allows for easy chances on net (and yet scoring is low because modern goalies are putting up higher sv % than ever).
You just made my point about how the NHL has TRIED to make changes and FAILED. Thank you.

As for the penalties, if there's a lack of them, it's caused by players being too scared to actually hit anyone, much less touch them, in fear of getting a call.
You criticize the modern NHL for trying to increase scoring and yet your favourite eras are ones where scoring was by far the highest of any period in the NHL's history.
Like I said, I criticized the NHL's FAILURE to get more scoring by forcing these changes.
Your opinions are a mess of nonsensical contradictions and fake machismo. If late 80's/early 90's goalies are so great, why were they such leaky sieves compared to modern goalies? Felix Potvin, seriously? The guy had 3-4 good years as a Leaf and was shit afterwards.
"Fake machismo"? What the hell is that? I have fake machismo because I'd rather my version of hockey not look like a crowd of Johnny Weir's parading around????

Why? I don't know, because they hadn't allowed the trap up until then? It wasn't until the trap came in that the numbers started going down. Back in those days when players weren't allowed to shoot from the slot unchallenged, or weren't allowed to camp in the crease without getting mauled, there were less shots. Now more of the shots aren't even "scoring chances". It just helps pad the stats.

As for Potvin, I'll just assume you didn't watch any of his games after Toronto. I hardly think it was his own fault that he got sent to the Islanders or the Canucks. His run with the Kings in 00-01 proves he still had it, especially the series vs Colorado. That series was a 4 game sweep for the Av's if it wasn't for Potvin.
I'm glad the NHL doesn't give a fuck about shitty fans like you. I'm glad I don't have to watch the kind of ridiculous hockey that you love so much, where giant slow defensemen were allowed to hook and hold on to the tiny fraction of players with any skill to prevent them from ever getting into scoring position. Yeah, I look fondly on the days when Lemieux's career was cut short by endless crosschecks to his back by worthless lumps, or when defensemen could backcheck by hooking onto his waist in the neutral zone like a t-bar.
Call it whatever you want, but Buttman obviously has a poster boy in you.

Your comments lead me to believe you probably didn't see much of any hockey in the late 80's early 90's. "giant slow defensemen", "tiny fraction of players with any skill", you don't get cancer from crosschecks you know? All things that point to my assessment.
Montreal Canadiens

Let me get this straight, you want to see guys being put in the hospital by other players in the NHL? That's what is fun about hockey......? Marchment & Kasparaitis, man those were some damn great NHL dmen. :roll:

Ironic how Eric Desjardins.....was it? Can't remember if it was him or another pylon playing D for the Flyers but they lasted 1 game post-lockout since they couldn't keep up with the skill and speed of today's game?

STL, way to join the party in epic STL fashion. Providing fabulous insight, keep it up.

Who is "the brazilian" you speak of in the UFC? The HW champ is Mexican, the LHW champ is American, the middleweight champ is American, there is no WW champ, the LW champ is American, the FW & BM champ's are brazilian though, yup.

Besides GSP dominating the WW division for an eternity, Rory Macdonald is good, T.J. Grant, Sam Stout, Ryan Jimmo, John Makdessi, Alexis Davis and Sarah Kaufman are in the top 5 in the women's division. Then you have also had guys like Patrick Cote and Mark Hominick fight for the title.
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

David Loiseau!
Most recent file here.
VancouverCanucksGM

Montreal Canadiens wrote:Let me get this straight, you want to see guys being put in the hospital by other players in the NHL? That's what is fun about hockey......? Marchment & Kasparaitis, man those were some damn great NHL dmen. :roll:
Selective reading I see. I never said they were great, i said they were hitting defensemen. As for players being put in the hospital, it'd be no worse than what's going on today, how many suspensions have there been this season?
Ironic how Eric Desjardins.....was it? Can't remember if it was him or another pylon playing D for the Flyers but they lasted 1 game post-lockout since they couldn't keep up with the skill and speed of today's game?
Who? Which lockout?
Who is "the brazilian" you speak of in the UFC? The HW champ is Mexican, the LHW champ is American, the middleweight champ is American, there is no WW champ, the LW champ is American, the FW & BM champ's are brazilian though, yup.
Did I say "champions" or did I say challenging the "Brazilian's"? Talking about quality fighters. If you see me use the word "champions", THAT'S when I mean "champions".

Rua brothers, Silva, Belfort, Gracie family, Silva, Nogueira brothers, dos Santos, Machida, those guys are just nobodies?
Besides GSP dominating the WW division for an eternity, Rory Macdonald is good, T.J. Grant, Sam Stout, Ryan Jimmo, John Makdessi, Alexis Davis and Sarah Kaufman are in the top 5 in the women's division. Then you have also had guys like Patrick Cote and Mark Hominick fight for the title.
How long did it take you to look them up? 8-)

Like I said, maybe a couple of decent fighters outside of GSP.

Have Makdessi, Jimmo or Stout even fought anyone of recognition?

"Fight for the title"? Do you know how many tomato cans have "fought for a title"?
VancouverCanucksGM

Tampa Bay GM wrote:David Loiseau!
I don't think he's a good argument for "successful" in the UFC :)
Montreal Canadiens

You have to be pretty good to get a title shot wouldn't you say? Which tomato can fought for a title exactly?

It took me no time at all, I've been a UFC fan for about a decade so I know a lot about it.

Gracie family? Shogun? Wanderlei? Nogueria's? I thought we were talking UFC not PRIDE. Man you love living in the past don't you. WAKE UP THIS IS 2014. Hockey is way better, the evolution of MMA is way better hence why those guys are not the elite fighters anymore. Gracie got absolutely destroyed by Matt Hughes, who is even past his prime now. I can't even fathom Gracie stepping in vs GSP, or a guy like Condit or Hendricks.

Sonnen is going to destroy Wanderlei, can't wait. Roy Nelson is gonna put big nog to sleep in about 3 minutes flat. Shogun and Hendo, who knows what'll happen there. I don't see it being a repeat as the first fight. Little nog...ya what's he been up to? Hasn't fought in over a year. After losing to 2 guys in the top 15 (Bader, Phil Davis) he beat up Tito Ortiz (wooooo! big tough fight there) then lolli gagged Rashad to sleep in one of the worst fights in this century. Rashad beats him 9 times outta 10. Little Nog will never contend.

Anderson was the only guy in that pack that is dynamite, and he's probably done now after Weidman broke his leg. Belfort will always knock out the second-best tier of fighters. Jon Jones submitted him, there's an example of the new breed of MMA fighters. Dos Santos is good yeah but he'll never beat Cain, so all he will ever be is second fiddle. Machida was the best 4 years ago, he's looked good since his drop to MW, but he hasn't beat a top contender yet.

Brazil and Canada are definitely the two top countries in terms of UFC support/revenue.....doesn't Canada hold a UFC record in terms of live-gate and attendance record? Oh ya, Canada does hold that.
VancouverCanucksGM

Montreal Canadiens wrote:You have to be pretty good to get a title shot wouldn't you say? Which tomato can fought for a title exactly?
Go through almost any of the belts, you'll see them there.
Gracie family? Shogun? Wanderlei? Nogueria's? I thought we were talking UFC not PRIDE. Man you love living in the past don't you.
Again, we seem to have a learning disability here. Did I say Wanderlei at all?

Even if they're "older" fighters, they're loads better than those guys you named. Notice how I never assumed your list was of champions?
WAKE UP THIS IS 2014. Hockey is way better, the evolution of MMA is way better hence why those guys are not the elite fighters anymore. Gracie got absolutely destroyed by Matt Hughes, who is even past his prime now. I can't even fathom Gracie stepping in vs GSP, or a guy like Condit or Hendricks.
The fact that they were fighting guys like Hughes when they were in or around their 40's should tell you something about them.

Obviously they wouldn't step in the ring with those guys, they're almost 50 now.

Hockey being better is matter of opinion.
Sonnen is going to destroy Wanderlei, can't wait. Roy Nelson is gonna put big nog to sleep in about 3 minutes flat. Shogun and Hendo, who knows what'll happen there. I don't see it being a repeat as the first fight. Little nog...ya what's he been up to? Hasn't fought in over a year. After losing to 2 guys in the top 15 (Bader, Phil Davis) he beat up Tito Ortiz (wooooo! big tough fight there) then lolli gagged Rashad to sleep in one of the worst fights in this century. Rashad beats him 9 times outta 10. Little Nog will never contend.
Again, never said anything about Wanderlei. Nelson? Not as much of a chance if he fights the way he did the last 2 times he's been in the ring.

I simply named guys off the top of my head, if you'd like, I can go back and name some other guys like Teixeira etc.
Anderson was the only guy in that pack that is dynamite, and he's probably done now after Weidman broke his leg. Belfort will always knock out the second-best tier of fighters. Jon Jones submitted him, there's an example of the new breed of MMA fighters. Dos Santos is good yeah but he'll never beat Cain, so all he will ever be is second fiddle. Machida was the best 4 years ago, he's looked good since his drop to MW, but he hasn't beat a top contender yet.
It wasn't meant as a list of current guys who are fighting tomorrow. It was a list of guys from Brazil that have contributed to the UFC and MMA.
Brazil and Canada are definitely the two top countries in terms of UFC support/revenue.....doesn't Canada hold a UFC record in terms of live-gate and attendance record? Oh ya, Canada does hold that.
Awesome! But let's be real, most of the events took place after Montreal or Toronto were out of the playoffs IF they were even in them those years. Outside of watching the Canadiens, there's probably not a lot of big venue things to do there, so of course the UFC would seem like a thing to do.
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

All of you, instead of adding to this madness, take that time to make some team news, trade blocks and whatever EHEC related.
Montreal Canadiens

If it isn't Wanderlei, and not Anderson, what Brazilian silva are you talking about?
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

Calgary.Flames wrote:All of you, instead of adding to this madness, take that time to make some team news, trade blocks and whatever EHEC related.
THIS
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Calgary.Flames wrote:All of you, instead of adding to this madness, take that time to make some team news, trade blocks and whatever EHEC related.
You mean vote for awards, I assume. Cause there's nothing else for anyone to do until tomorrow.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

We're talking about a generational gap here too. A lot of the guys in their 20s around here only really know one NHL. This one. The post-major lockout one. We talk about increasing offense and whatnot, but has anybody come close to a 200-point season in a long time? No. It's a specialized game that has evolved just like everything else has. Analytics, different systems, new coaches. A new way of doing things. I don't think there's a lot of merit in trying to determine which era of the game was better. The '80s and '90s aren't coming back. To argue whether the old or the new is better is hard to do with the demographics of the site. And Parker's not going to get involved, so I don't think the old days will have a lot of support.

As far as baseball being a world sport, I certainly believe it is. Not to the extent of soccer, obviously, but in the pockets where they're interested in baseball, there is a lot of interest. Places like the Netherlands, Italy, and Australia are seeing baseball grow in popularity. Latin America, Japan, China, etc. are still hotbeds of baseball worldwide, but it's still a growing game. Brazil had two Major Leaguers last year, the first time they ever had anybody participate. And they faced each other in a game and it was huge news in the country. Other nations play cricket as opposed to baseball. Similar concept at its core.

There may not be a lot of baseball in India, Africa, or big parts of Europe, but that doesn't mean it's not "worldwide". All depends on your definition, I guess.

As far as Canada goes, there may not be a country that has more pride than Canada. Good for them. America has pride when it's convenient for Americans. You know, like a major tragedy or the Olympics. Canada supports their players and their teams year round. Sample size has a lot to do with that. The US population is nearly 10 times that of Canada's. There are so many different people, economic levels, agendas, etc., etc. Lot harder for a consensus/majority opinion to form with so many people with so many different interests, selfish or otherwise. Hell, California's population is more than Canada's.

My dad DVR'd the coverage of the Olympics every day. My fiancee bitched about the Olympics preventing her shows from airing new episodes. I watched hockey and that was it. The groups of Americans who fell into one of those three categories were much larger than any pockets of Canadians would be. If that makes Americans assholes, well, so be it. I've been to Canada, albeit just Windsor, Niagara Falls, and Toronto, but I've never had a major issue. Except that you guys can't fucking drive.

Canadians will fight tooth and nail to support anything Canadian. Canadian Tire, Swiss Chalet, UFC fighters, their hockey team, RCMP, and so on and so on, and kudos to them for that. Americans are significantly more polarized. And everything remotely scandalous said by any American of status or power is immediately thrust into the 24-hour news cycle and somehow becomes representative of the country as a whole. Every Canadian I've encountered is filled with civic pride. We should be so lucky in the US. I'll remember that the next time Westboro Baptist Church is protesting a soldier's funeral.

But I also find that Canadians have a very difficult time admitting any faults or shortcomings about somebody or something from Canada, with the obvious exception of Rob Ford. I don't have a ton of experience in this and it's just my opinion, but it seems that the Canadian way of life is infallible and everyone else does it wrong. My limited, Americanized best example is that I have never once gotten good service in a restaurant in Canada, despite the overriding belief that all Canadians are incredibly friendly people. Canadians point towards nationalized health care as a pseudo-insult to Americans, even though I've never waited several hours or several weeks to see a doctor as I've heard stories of people forced to do that. That part is conveniently forgotten.

This isn't meant to incite any kind of riot among the Canadians we have in the league. Just my way of processing what has been said here.

Oh, and MMA. Still can't believe people like that shit.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Actually, the RCMP has done an awful lot of terrible shit over the years. They're just romanticized because of the horses and red uniforms, causing people to conveniently forget about the abuse of female officers, domestic spying, framing suspects for bombings, occasionally killing unarmed people, etc.

I don't think anyone would fight tooth and nail to support Canadian Tire, but if you wanted to, I'm sure you can buy both of those things in store.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

SharksGM wrote:Actually, the RCMP has done an awful lot of terrible shit over the years. They're just romanticized because of the horses and red uniforms, causing people to conveniently forget about the abuse of female officers, domestic spying, framing suspects for bombings, occasionally killing unarmed people, etc.
Wait a minute. You mean to tell me that a law enforcement body in Canada does that same thing that some in the US do?!

I was under the impression that wasn't possible! :lol:
Adam Burke
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

I find Canadians aren't as civil proud as Americans to be honest! Canada is as international a country can get. Maybe you get a sense of us being better than everyone because of what you read on message boards, not many credible people on these... You didn't get a good service at a restaurant once? That's odd!
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

No, surprisingly, I've interacted with more Canadians than the 20 or so that are in the league, Bern. I don't live in a bubble.

And the US is nothing but white people? We don't have Asians or Africans or Europeans here. No. None of those. I imagine New York City is a strangely unsettling place with nothing but white people around. Or Chicago. Or LA. Or Houston.
Adam Burke
VancouverCanucksGM

Montreal Canadiens wrote:If it isn't Wanderlei, and not Anderson, what Brazilian silva are you talking about?
Antonio.
Montreal Canadiens

Montreal Canadiens wrote:If it isn't Wanderlei, and not Anderson, what Brazilian silva are you talking about?
Antonio.
Yeah, he's a real good fighter :roll:

Most Americans do live in a bubble (or seem to portray that).

Canada has far, far and away better health care than the States, and better minimum wage, but your private insurance companies are where it's at and I wish Canada could adopt that and be done with the monopoly known as ICBC.

I'd agree with you on most things said there Adam. There is bad stuff to Canada, just as there is bad stuff to the United States, and it all comes down to the demographic. You guys down below will have more talented athletes overall in most sports and better at a lot more sports than us in the Olympics - because of the sample size - and same goes for rude people / crime / whatever. It's basic math. 313 million or so people compared to 35 million.

I've met nice Americans and I've met some assholes and same can be said about Canada. The people that aren't as intelligent as some Americans is what paints them a bad brush, when you have interviews with people in the States that don't even know shit about Canada and think we live in igloos and ice fish all day is what makes them all seem ignorant.

I think it comes down to the schools a lot, I've said to some people I'm from Victoria, BC (which is the capital of BC) and they will ask where that is, how I got here (to Seattle), etc, but if you say you're from Vancouver, they go "oh thats up in uhh.......canada somewhere right...?" Seattle, which is an hour and a half from Vancouver and they aren't even aware it exists.

The Province over here did a fast quick study, interviewed some Vancouverites and asked them where Harvard was, most of them got it right, some wrong. They then went to Harvard and asked them to name a Province in Canada and they said all sorts of shit like Toronto, Quebec, etc. When I was in school, part of social studies and history was learning the 50 states, capitals, history, american presidents, etc, but I'm thinking in America they just ignore that shit as they see as minute compared to them which pisses off 90 % of Canadians.

Haha Canadian Tire is the biggest piece of shit company in the world. Swiss Chalet is awful I find too. I've had good/bad/so-so service in Canada and the USA, it depends what restaurant you're at.

I don't think I'd want to live in America for an extended period of time, but they do have some fun cities to visit. I think we do have it pretty good though, better than anywhere in the world, and not that I've seen everywhere in the world, just my opinion.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Bruins_GM

Post by Bruins_GM »

Restaurant servers in Canada get full minimum wage of 10.00+/hour plus untaxed income in tips, whereas their American counterparts get a bullshit restaurant wage of 3.85/hour plus taxed tips.

It doesn't make it right, but it explains why US servers bust their fucking asses (and kiss both sides of yours) while doing their jobs.

E: I've had good and bad experiences with both healthcare systems, but I'd take the UHC model from Canada every day of the week, and twice on Sundays. My dad has had multiple heart surgery's for conditions outside of his control and requires various medications; my mom was in the hospital for a month and fought a losing battle with cancer, my aunt successfully beat cancer, and my cousin has had several surgerys for a leg amputation at birth.

The only thing they paid for during their stays was television, every single one of them. I'm not going to deny there's discrepancies between levels of service, but it's moreso along the same urban/rural divides that happen in the US system as well.

The Insurance industry can die in a fire, and quite frankly those cocksuckers took 9/11 and turned it into a meal ticket for their industry.
Last edited by Bruins_GM on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Also, if you haven't noticed. We do things a lot slower up here eh.
VancouverCanucksGM

Montreal Canadiens wrote:
Antonio.

And why isn't he? Was it because he beat Fedor?
Montreal Canadiens

Antonio.

Fedor is good how? Which top level fighter did he beat? Oh back in the early 2000's when he defeated a couple of guys in Pride? He lost to anyone even half good post Pride. Werdum also submitted him then a LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT / MIDDLEWEIGHT knocked him silly.

I've had multiple heart surgeries as well and never paid a dime. When I was growing up, was in & out of the hospitals all the time for weeks at a time. Can't complain one bit. I've also had shoulder surgery too. I pay $50 a month in MSRP's but small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.
VancouverCanucksGM

VancouverCanucksGM wrote: And why isn't he? Was it because he beat Fedor?
Fedor is good how? Which top level fighter did he beat? Oh back in the early 2000's when he defeated a couple of guys in Pride? He lost to anyone even half good post Pride. Werdum also submitted him then a LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT / MIDDLEWEIGHT knocked him silly.
A couple of guys? You mean everyone he faced, right?

Lost to EVERYONE half good past Pride? So former champions Sylvia, and Arlovski are now bad fighters?

Getting "knocked silly" by Dan Henderson is hardly something to be considered as a bad thing, anyone who stand toe to toe with Dan takes that chance.
Singin the BLUES

Post by Singin the BLUES »

Antonio.

I've had multiple heart surgeries as well and never paid a dime. When I was growing up, was in & out of the hospitals all the time for weeks at a time. Can't complain one bit. I've also had shoulder surgery too. I pay $50 a month in MSRP's but small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.

Can tell how young you are.....you can't seem to remember anything from about 2000 and down....ill bet you havent seen or can't remember when there was no weight classes and fighters fought 2-4 fights a night....now that was bad ass fighting
Montreal Canadiens

VancouverCanucksGM wrote: And why isn't he? Was it because he beat Fedor?
A couple of guys? You mean everyone he faced, right?

Lost to EVERYONE half good past Pride? So former champions Sylvia, and Arlovski are now bad fighters?

Getting "knocked silly" by Dan Henderson is hardly something to be considered as a bad thing, anyone who stand toe to toe with Dan takes that chance.
Sure if you're in Dan's weight class you're taking that chance but he went up TWO WEIGHT CLASSES!

Sylvia & Arlovsi are complete trash. Gimmie a break. If they were in the UFC now they wouldn't even be able to get a two fight win streak nevermind the heavyweight belt. Without googling it, where are they fighting exactly?

It's becoming quite clear you know absolutely jack shit about the UFC, as per usual I'm wasting my time talking about anything realistic with you. Go back to your cave. Bye.
VancouverCanucksGM

Montreal Canadiens wrote:Sure if you're in Dan's weight class you're taking that chance but he went up TWO WEIGHT CLASSES!
You take that chance ANYTIME you fight a guy like Dan.

Guys use to step up in weight class ALL the time. But you wouldn't know that, because they don't do it in UFC.
Sylvia & Arlovsi are complete trash. Gimmie a break. If they were in the UFC now they wouldn't even be able to get a two fight win streak nevermind the heavyweight belt. Without googling it, where are they fighting exactly?
I love how you justify your country's tomato cans as "decent fighters", but everyone I name has to have been an undefeated champion at some point.
It's becoming quite clear you know absolutely jack shit about the UFC, as per usual I'm wasting my time talking about anything realistic with you. Go back to your cave. Bye.
Here goes more of your I only have one point of view argument. You ONLY seem to know something about UFC and NOTHING about other MMA. You might find it odd to know MMA existed WAY before your interest in it started.

STL is right, you have no clue about anything that has happened outside of things you "like".

Yeah, that's me, Mr. unrealistic. Or, and I think this is closer to the truth, you're still the same whiny argumentative turd you were some years ago.
Montreal Canadiens

Sorry I missed where you listed where Arlovski & Sylvia are fighting? Dana White even called them garbage. Which company again? That's right. I'll give you a little piece of intelligence, Andrei Arlovski is fighting for WSOF - World Series of Fighting. A company full of UFC washouts ran by Sugar Ray Sefo. It's the company where guys like Arlovski, Tim Hague, Mike Russow, Kalib Starnes, Yushin Okami, Jon Fitch, Joe Doerksen, Josh Burkman, Aaron Simpson, Jorge Santiago, Rousimar Palhares, Jacob Volkmann, Tyson Grifin, Miguel Torres fight....shall I go on?

Tim Sylvia is fighting for a company called ONE FC. Even worse than WSOF. I don't think they really have any "names" besides people that should be retired like Jens Pulver & Phil Baroni. They also have Shinya Aoki who has a great padded record, who Eddie Alvarez of Bellator obliterated.

You asked for UFC fighters that are Canadian - I handed you a bunch of notable UFC fighters that been in the UFC forever not named GSP. GSP also will go down as one of the UFC's greatest fighters of all time - yeah a Canadian. Rory is also a top contender in the WW division same with TJ Grant in the LW division.

You then mention compareable fucking PRIDE fighters to me. PRIDE. Not even UFC. Guys that were good in PRIDE. Pride was fun to watch, I've seen it. I've been watching Pride/UFC/ MMA whatever you want to call it since I was a child. If you're bringing Tim Sylvia & Andrei Arlovski into an argument, you have absolutely no basis what so ever on what you're discussing. Go back and watch the fights - if you've even ever seen them. Compare their fights to that of Cain Velasquez's, Junior Dos Santos, Travis Browne, Josh Barnett - just imagine what those guys would do to them. Even Overeem who I think is completely overrated, would probably destroy them.

PRIDE was fun to watch - guys like Cro Cop, Nogueria's, Shogun, Rampage, Wanderlei, Fedor, they all have struggled vs competition in the UFC. They aren't comparable to the talent out there now. If someone says name the top 10 in any of their weight classes, their names won't come up. The only 2 to really stick around and make noise are Belfort & Hendo. Belfort is on steroids, and Hendo is on the decline IMO.

What current MMA is there outside of the UFC.

If you werent a complete idiot, would there be an argument? Probably not.
Last edited by Montreal Canadiens on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Gentlemen, let's try to turn this back on a better path without the name calling and mud slinging. It can be a decent discussion among adults. And please stop letting this shit carry over into other forums. The shtick is getting tired. There's a difference between good-natured trash talk and rivalries and the "YOUR AN IDIOT" or other typical responses.

It has no value to the league. Continue your discussion about MMA or whatever else, but do it constructively.
Adam Burke
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

I agree, UFC is a terrible Winter Olympics sport.
VancouverCanucksGM

You win Brad.

But then again, being who you are, at the end of the day, is that really ever a "win"?

Return to “The Sports Bar”