Canes Draft Review

Moderator: SharksGM

DaveG-Canes

Canes Draft Review

Post by DaveG-Canes »

Something you rarely if ever see from this Carolina GM happened at the draft this year: trades.

The Canes were able to turn their 20th overall pick into the 26th and 60th, and were able to turn Tim Gleason into a 2015 3rd rounder. A solid though unspectacular haul to be sure. There were other offers on the table that were considered but nothing much came of them unfortunately, mostly due to GM Greybill's hastiness.

Anyway, on to the picks:
The Canes seemed to have a clear mentality of making their middle 6 much more difficult to play against in the long term with their offensive situation already prettymuch hashed out short and long term, and the defense being an absolute pipeline of talent since the last draft. It seems that this was a mentality shared by many other managers this year as well, which made for some interesting picks and a bit of rage that Cotton got picked before I could get to him by Bub, you bastard. :lol:

#26 - LW/C Shane Eiserman - Dubuque (USHL)
Weighing in at 6'2/201, Eiserman was a man amongst boys in the USHL last year and projects to be your prototype 3rd line power forward with some ability to slot up if needed. Offensively he doesn't give you much of anything special, though his goal scoring ability is pretty nice, but defensively he's sound and he'll hit you like a freight train. His faceoff skill could use some work, but if this next guy pans out he might not need to be a factor there, and will likely play the wing opposite Tom Wilson. Shane will play at UNH next season.

#50 - C/RW Nick Magyar - Kitchener (OHL)
While Magyar's more of a project then his first round counterpart in Eiserman, he's the better player if he pans out and there should be no doubt about that. His skating won't be quite as good, but he'll be a more offensively gifted player, especially his playmaking skill which would be an ideal combination to use with Eiserman on his wing. And defensively he's possibly one of the best shut-down forwards in this draft capable in all regards at the position. He's better (though still not exceptional) on the draw as well, which makes him ideal for the #3 centerman role long term. I mean, this Canes team being able to roll Eric Staal, Brandon Sutter, and Nick Magyar at you in 2-3 seasons? Yeah watch out.

#60 - D/RW Miro Keskitalo - Jokerit (Fin U-20)
A rather unique skillset on this one, capable of bringing a bit more of an offensive punch on the blueline, or a bit of a physical presence to the wing on the 3rd or 4th line. He doesn't quite have the upside of the prior two picks, but he's a gifted enough player with a unique enough skillset that it would have been tough to pass him up. At the very least he's a sure bet to be a contributor on a checking line if only to bang some heads and make some nice passes.

#80 - LW/RW Vladimir Tkachyov - Moncton (QMJHL)
A bit of a departure from what the first and second rounds saw, mostly out of necessity, Tkachyov is an offensively gifted and very consistent player that likely isn't too far out from being able to play in the Canes minor league system and making an impact in the NHL. His size should be the only knock against him, as offensively he's quite the dangler and playmaker though his shot is nothing special, and while he'll never be confused for Brandon Sutter defensively that aspect of his game is hardly lacking. The only hard part may be finding a place to play all these guys the Canes have in their system.

#110 - D Lukas Bengtsson - Mora (Allsvenskan)
The breakout overager is a bit of an offensive dynamo from the back end... and very inconsistent. Hey, the 4th round is all about taking risks, and with the Canes looking for an eventual replacement for Pitkanen here, rolling the dice on the Swede here isn't necessarily the worst option on the table for that. Very gifted offensively with a heavy shot, he's a bit of a wanderer in his own zone with no penchant for the physical. If the Canes are able to overdevelop what most believe his upside to be defensively they have a potentially special player on their hands, if not, well, he'll still be a possibly useful weapon... just mostly used in a 3rd pairing roll until the team needs a spark on the PP.

#140 - C/L W Radel Fazleyev - Calgary (WHL)
Gifted offensively but inconsistent, the Faz is likely to take the long route to the NHL if he gets there. Strong enough defensively and having both solid goal scoring and playmaking ability, the Faz does have the skillset to make it if he wants to. Definite offensive #2C upside if he can reach it... but that also may have to be on another team with the Canes insane depth down the middle right now.

#170 - G Keven Bouchard - Val-D'Or (QMJHL)
This guy has all the makings of a top goalie prospect with one exception... his consistency. We don't know if it's just a case of a young guy that needs to work some things out, or if we have another Gilles Graton on our hands. One thing we do know, is that the kid can play if he can iron out his consistency issues.

#200 - C/LW Filip Karlsson - Rögle (SHL)
While there could be more to this kid then would appear at first glance, all indications are that he's here to be AHL depth for the Canes and little more then that long term. He's a boost candidate, but how high that could go? We're unsure, and that alone makes him a significant long shot to make the league. But hey, retooling isn't just about the NHL level.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Re: Canes Draft Review

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

DaveG-Canes wrote:...and a bit of rage that Cotton got picked before I could get to him by Bub, you bastard. :lol: ...
A not uncommon sentiment, apparently. :lol:
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

DaveG-Canes wrote:I mean, this Canes team being able to roll Eric Staal, Brandon Sutter, and Nick Magyar at you in 2-3 seasons? Yeah watch out.
BREAKING: @Eklund: @NHLCanes set to move Mikko Koivu today (E5)
Dallas Stars GM

Post by Dallas Stars GM »

Dave, did you know that "Magyar" actually means "Hungarian"? (in Slovak, Hungarian or even in Czech language translation)

Pretty sure that Nicholas Magyar origins are Hungarian. Interesting, huh? :D

P.S. : . . . And yes, I really do speak Slovak, Hungarian and Czech language :D
STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2020, 2022
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

And Roman Polak is neither Roman nor a Polak! Well, maybe his family was originally Polish or something.
Dallas Stars GM

Could be. There are more interesting names/surnames in the NHL. For example - Travis Zajac - Zajac actually means "rabbit" in Slovak/English/Polish language, maybe in Russian too (and maybe in other slavic languages too). Paul Stastny - Stastny means "happy". :D But it's supposed to be written like this "Šťastný" and to be spelled like "Shtyastnyy" . . .
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

I hope Magyar shows up to camp looking like this guy:

SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Zajac, Vlasic, Sakic and many others are of Yugoslav origin (mostly Croatian), and so everybody pronounces their names wrong. I guess Lucic asked announcers to pronounce his name properly... or else. I don't blame the rest because my family gave up on anyone ever pronouncing our name correctly years ago.

I feel sorry for anyone named Xavier.
Dallas Stars GM

I would have no problem with spelling your name. Ta-ra-nu : So simple. But I do understand that it might be hard to spell it correctly for people whose english is their first language. But, I'm pretty sure you would have some problems with spelling my surname: Brichta :D Pretty sure you wouldn't spell it like "Brikhta" because that's the way it should be spelled. CH = KH in Slovak langauge. For example, Russians can't say H, f.e. I remember that Alex Semin couldn't spell the name of (Jeff) Halpern correctly, he always spelled it out like KHALPERN, when it's supposed to be H (not KH) Halpern. :D So much for language and spelling differences :D
DaveG-Canes

Post by DaveG-Canes »

Dallas Stars GM wrote:Dave, did you know that "Magyar" actually means "Hungarian"? (in Slovak, Hungarian or even in Czech language translation)

Pretty sure that Nicholas Magyar origins are Hungarian. Interesting, huh? :D

P.S. : . . . And yes, I really do speak Slovak, Hungarian and Czech language :D
Yep, definitely one of the more interesting last names in this past draft from a pure linguistic etymology standpoint. Probably some Ellis Island "Don Corleone" type stuff to end up with that last name, or at least that's how I'd like to imagine that one played out.

Some real interesting backgrounds of players in the league on the whole really.

Personally, I only speak English and terrible German. :lol:
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Did you know that Dave Greybill means "Fierce Mountain Dragon, Destroyer of Cities" in Esperanto?
Dallas Stars GM wrote:I would have no problem with spelling your name. Ta-ra-nu : So simple. But I do understand that it might be hard to spell it correctly for people whose english is their first language. But, I'm pretty sure you would have some problems with spelling my surname: Brichta :D Pretty sure you wouldn't spell it like "Brikhta" because that's the way it should be spelled. CH = KH in Slovak langauge. For example, Russians can't say H, f.e. I remember that Alex Semin couldn't spell the name of (Jeff) Halpern correctly, he always spelled it out like KHALPERN, when it's supposed to be H (not KH) Halpern. :D So much for language and spelling differences :D
Nah, it's Ţăranu.
Dallas Stars GM

Nah, it's Ţăranu.
Ţăranu? That sounds romanian to me. Is it right?
I used to work with some guys from Romania, their language sounded like mix of Italian + Russian (rather Bulgarian) langauge.

Some real interesting backgrounds of players in the league on the whole really.
Yeah Dave, f.e. Josh Ho-Sang (which I picked in this draft)
"The Canadian-born 17-year-old’s father is a black Jamaican of Chinese descent, his mother is Chilean with Russian and Swedish bloodlines, and is Jewish. It’s not unusual to hear Spanish spoken in the Ho-Sang household, where Chanukah and Christmas are celebrated."
Personally, I only speak English and terrible German.
You're good when you can speak english, since it's a world-language. The reason why I can speak 5 languages is because Slovakia is a transit country, we're in the middle of the Europe and we're surrounded by Czech Rep., Austria, Hungary, Poland and Ukraine and my mother's side of the family are Hungarian and that's why I learned to speak Hungarian. BTW Slovakian and Hungarian languages are one of the most difficult langauges to learn. :D
DaveG-Canes

Post by DaveG-Canes »

Dallas Stars GM wrote:
Nah, it's Ţăranu.
Ţăranu? That sounds romanian to me. Is it right?
I used to work with some guys from Romania, their language sounded like mix of Italian + Russian (rather Bulgarian) langauge.
Actually that would kindof make sense. Going back a couple millennia or so until basically the end of the 4th crusade, that part of the world had some of the greatest culture clashes that human history has ever seen.

Return to “Team News”