UFAs next offseason

Moderator: SharksGM

SharksGM
Site Admin

UFAs next offseason

Post by SharksGM »

Dear GMs,

At the committee's annual meetings in virtual Florida, we discussed the system and restrictions on re-signing UFAs. We all agreed that the system is rather confusing and somewhat pointless. For one, at the moment half of the league is within 1M of the cap, and more than 20 teams are within 2M (>66M). So most teams are spending to the cap, and therefore it doesn't really seem necessary to place arbitrary restrictions on which UFAs you can re-sign - the cap limits GMs from assembling unbeatable superteams. Besides, most valuable high-greed UFAs end up getting their rights traded, and that process is also unnecessarily complicated.

As a result, starting with the next offseason, we will be removing these restrictions, so you can re-sign as many pending UFAs as you want regardless of their greed. However, we will be adding a greed modifier to salaries, so that high-greed UFAs will ask for more money (and low-greed slightly less). Details are TBD. We are announcing this well before the deadline so GMs can re-evaluate the value of their players, especially pending UFAs.
MartyFromOTTAWA

Re: UFAs next offseason

Post by MartyFromOTTAWA »

I really love it.
It makes plenty of sense.

Great job gentlemen.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

SharksGM wrote:However, we will be adding a greed modifier to salaries, so that high-greed UFAs will ask for more money (and low-greed slightly less). Details are TBD.
Have yous figured out how this be working yet? Also, will it affect RFAs or just UFAs?
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Vik (Habs) wrote:
SharksGM wrote:However, we will be adding a greed modifier to salaries, so that high-greed UFAs will ask for more money (and low-greed slightly less). Details are TBD.
Have yous figured out how this be working yet? Also, will it affect RFAs or just UFAs?
Not really, no. We're open to suggestions. The simplest idea I had was to make it a straight bonus/malus of salary*(greed-100)/2, to some reasonable maximum/minimum. So 70 greed players would get a 15% discount and 130 greed would get 15% extra. I didn't crunch the numbers on that yet, though. I suspect the average greed in the file is less than 100, so that would give a small discount on average. That's not really a bad thing as we have to cut back salaries at some point or risk the wrath of runtime errors.

As for RFA vs UFA, I'm inclined to keep it to UFAs only. RFAs just don't have that much leverage.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

SharksGM wrote:I suspect the average greed in the file is less than 100, so that would give a small discount on average.
Average greed in the file = ~96.48
Average greed of every player currently under contract = ~98.06
Average greed of players born in 1989 or earlier with one year left on their contract (basically UFAs to be) = ~101.31
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Vik's magic tools give me nightmares; I imagine a Montreal dynasty in 5 years.
Most recent file here.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Just noticed that we currently have 36 players with greed ratings under 70 (the lowest being draft eligible Yushiroh Hirano at a ridiculously low 26) so I'd suggest bumping those players up to 70 (I can make a list if you like). Don't think we want guys getting 40% discounts.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

Vik (Habs) wrote:Just noticed that we currently have 36 players with greed ratings under 70 (the lowest being draft eligible Yushiroh Hirano at a ridiculously low 26) so I'd suggest bumping those players up to 70 (I can make a list if you like). Don't think we want guys getting 40% discounts.
Yep, make a list and I'll bump them up.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Commish Bub(NYR) wrote:Yep, make a list and I'll bump them up.

Code: Select all

Yushiroh Hirano
Artur Kayumov
Nick Boka
Gustav Bouramman
Brandon Carlo
Kevin Davis
Brendan Guhle
Pavel Zacha - we can probably leave him as is
Luke Opilka
AJ Greer
Erik Cernák