Play-off chatter

Moderator: SharksGM

JacketsGM (Jer)

Play-off chatter

Post by JacketsGM (Jer) »

Central Division:

All of Nashville, Chicago and Dallas have clinched their playoff spots, but amazingly with 2 games left each the order (and thus home-ice) are all still up for grabs. The Dallas/Nashville game tonight could go a long way toward the final seedings.

Pacific Division:

Arizona, Los Angeles, Calgary, Anaheim and Vancouver are all in for sure, with the possibility of Los Angeles over-taking Arizona for the top seed in the West. Divisional play to end the season includes Arizona/Vancouver, Los Angeles/Calgary and Los Angeles/Anaheim. About all that is known for sure, is that Vancouver will be facing the top seed in the first round.

Metro Division:

The Rangers and Pittsburgh have clinched, and Columbus needs a single win to secure 3rd place. Carolina is mathematically still in the race for the 3rd seed *(they'd need Columbus to lose the next 3 games, and win-out themselves), but are currently 2 points out of a wild card spot. Divisional games to watch are slim, but there is a nice play-off tune-up match between Ranger and Pittsburgh to end the season.

Atlantic Division:

Ottawa, Detroit and Tampa Bay have all clinched, with the Sens and Wings duking it out for top seed. Boston and Toronto currently occupy the two available wild-card positions, with Carolina (of the Metro Division) two points back, and the only possible spoiler. Divisional games to watch would include Toronto/Tampa Bay, Boston/Ottawa.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Re: Play-off chatter

Post by SharksGM »

I hope everybody loses.

Seriously, though, I hate the shitty 'divisional' playoff system that isn't even divisional thanks to wildcards. It's something we're thinking about changing for next season seeing as the Vegas expansion means we won't be able to follow the NHL schedule and possible future realignments exactly anyway.
Dallas Stars GM

Post by Dallas Stars GM »

I hate the shitty 'divisional' playoff system that isn't even divisional thanks to wildcards. It's something we're thinking about changing for next season
I'd, personally, welcome the change.
STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2020, 2022
Bruins_GM

Post by Bruins_GM »

That kinda stinks.

It'd take away the ability to quick-sim and whatnot, but couldn't we do 31 teams by breaking the sim down into 16 and 15 teams and manually calculating points?
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Bruins_GM wrote:That kinda stinks.

It'd take away the ability to quick-sim and whatnot, but couldn't we do 31 teams by breaking the sim down into 16 and 15 teams and manually calculating points?
I have no clue what you're talking about...
There won't be a Vegas team so we might as well get back to the days where it made the most sense.
There's no travelling issues and whatnot so my vote will be to bring it back to the 15/15 divisions with a better playoff format while recycling past schedules.
flyergp21

Post by flyergp21 »

Agree with Julien. 1000%.
MartyFromOTTAWA

Post by MartyFromOTTAWA »

I'll probably quit after the season, so I don't care :P
Cheers!
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

MartyFromOTTAWA wrote:I'll probably quit after the season, so I don't care :P
Cheers!
Valuable input.

Anyway, yes, we're probably going back to the 15/15 format, and screw this divisional shit the NHL has foisted upon us. Yes, it won't be "like real life" but it will make things a lot easier for the simmers and league managers, as we won't have any file fuckery to do to get the playoffs right. (Thanks for making the playoffs, Detroit.)
Bruins_GM

Post by Bruins_GM »

IslandersGM

Post by IslandersGM »

On those notes - do we bring back the tie game rather than the shoot out?
NYI GM
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

IslandersGM wrote:On those notes - do we bring back the tie game rather than the shoot out?
Bring back the tie. I don't have to use the shootout program anymore! :lol:
Most recent file here.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

LOL Justin. I can send you the shootout file, it's pretty small.
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Commish Bub(NYR) wrote:LOL Justin. I can send you the shootout file, it's pretty small.
Oh, I have it.

Just one less thing we have to do when simming.
Most recent file here.
JacketsGM (Jer)

Post by JacketsGM (Jer) »

Well the season has come to an end.

Just wanted to thank everyone for what was a really fun season. It's so hard to know how active some of the managers are, given that they can simply input lines through the office.

My season had a lot of ups and downs, struggling right out of the gate - and then settling into a midseason that put up a lot of goals and points until a loooong injury to Pavelski that put the team in a bit of jeopardy. I made the easy decision to do nothing. Juggled lines and managed to hold onto a playoff position. I could have made a trade to replace Pavelski's minutes - but I couldn't wrap my head around the cap implications.

7 games vs. Pittsburgh was a surprise - and felt my team had a chance right up intil the end. Not sure my extra practice maybe worked against me, but I got hammered in game 7. Hopefully the team can take another step next season, and we can have home-ice for ourselves.

Looking forward to another offseason of planning, and am always available for trade talks (though I've not been active at all on the trade front).

Good luck to those still playing in the 2nd round, and wishing everyone a great summer!

Jer
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

JacketsGM (Jer) wrote:Just wanted to thank everyone for what was a really fun season. It's so hard to know how active some of the managers are, given that they can simply input lines through the office.
Well to give you any idea, we finished the regular season on April 9th and only 7 set of pro lines are more than a week older than that (4 of those are 1-2 weeks older). So we're actually doing quite well for activity, although we will need to recruit some new GMs after the playoffs.
BLUESGM

Post by BLUESGM »

I havent done my lines since the end of the Reg. Season as I am not a playoff team haha, but I always poke around every few days or so

Return to “GM Memos and General Chatter”