Post-draft Odds & Ends

Moderator: SharksGM

Virtual Jarmo

Post-draft Odds & Ends

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Well, I hope the draft wasn't too painful for everybody. As posted in the draft chatter thread, I entered the draft manually, so everybody should check and make sure that they have the players that they drafted.

Right now, I've got some communications out to EHM vets to see exactly what day the deadline is for POT boosters. If it's the 20th, I'll move the file back to the 16th and the player will have the 17th and the 19th to ponder. If it's the 21st, I'll leave the file where it is and the player will have the 19th and 20th to consider the offer. Then we'll continue onward. After we get that squared away, I'll announce a sim schedule for the the rest of the days up to the rollover. I'm not sure if I'll enter the UFA stuff before the rollover or after. I don't think it matters all that much, but it may.

Double check your trades for CON drops.

GET YOUR RIGHTS OFFERS IN. Make sure you have those done. We will be inputting those as we go along here.

I am offering 20 ceiling points to all teams who write up a post-draft article in the Team News forum. Only players taken in the 3rd round or later will be eligible. You can spread the 20 points over 2 prospects (10 on each) or you can spread it over one prospect. The prospect must be less than 70 POT and cannot be a POT booster. If you spread it over one prospect, no more than 10 ceiling points per attribute. The article needs to outline each prospect drafted and should include any draft-day trades that you made. Basically, it's the chance to make an AHLer into a depth NHL player.

I will be adding the 60 players taken in real-life that were not in our file to the file. I will be eliminating more lame FA veterans based on OA. The undrafted players from our draft will be UFAs.

Free agency will begin Wednesday at 9 pm EST. Ryan will be out of town this week. Nick's busy killing himself working 12-14 hour days and whatnot. So, again, lucky for you guys, I'm jobless. That means I'll be handling the bulk of UFA. Please review the Rulebook to see our UFA terms and conditions.

Now, for what you all don't want to hear, the Committee has decided to lower the salary cap for next year to $56,000,000 and the cap floor to $41,000,000. The 30% rule clearly isn't working. We are going to re-evaluate it. Starting with a cap on contract length. We will no longer be allowing five or six year contracts for RFAs 25 and under. We're going to come up with a formula based around projected attribute value minus current attribute value. We haven't figured out what yet. But we will be looking at it and getting some baseline numbers to build from.

We're going to try and keep up with cap figures better and be more strict with penalties.

Other than that, I can't really think of anything else to add. But I will be updating this post as things move along.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Virtual Jarmo

Re: Post-draft Odds & Ends

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Quick update. The deadline is the sim of the 20th advancing to the 21st.

So I will set the file back to the 16th. The prospect will then have the 17th and 19th to consider. Then we'll roll to the 20th.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Great work Adam. ;)

But, next time let us know in advance about the ceiling points please! I would have drafted differently.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Penguin wrote:Great work Adam. ;)

But, next time let us know in advance about the ceiling points please! I would have drafted differently.
Or I could have not done it at all.

You're totally missing the point of this exercise.
Adam Burke
CapsGM

Post by CapsGM »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:I am offering 20 ceiling points to all teams who write up a post-draft article in the Team News forum. Only players taken in the 3rd round or later will be eligible. You can spread the 20 points over 2 prospects (10 on each) or you can spread it over one prospect. The prospect must be less than 70 POT and cannot be a POT booster. If you spread it over one prospect, no more than 10 ceiling points per attribute. The article needs to outline each prospect drafted and should include any draft-day trades that you made. Basically, it's the chance to make an AHLer into a depth NHL player.
So if the player doesn't boost but has like 90CON, we can still use the ceiling points on him?
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

CapsGM wrote:
Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:I am offering 20 ceiling points to all teams who write up a post-draft article in the Team News forum. Only players taken in the 3rd round or later will be eligible. You can spread the 20 points over 2 prospects (10 on each) or you can spread it over one prospect. The prospect must be less than 70 POT and cannot be a POT booster. If you spread it over one prospect, no more than 10 ceiling points per attribute. The article needs to outline each prospect drafted and should include any draft-day trades that you made. Basically, it's the chance to make an AHLer into a depth NHL player.
So if the player doesn't boost but has like 90CON, we can still use the ceiling points on him?
No. Non-potential POT booster.
Adam Burke
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Also, the deadline to submit the post-draft article is Tuesday at 11:59 pm EST.
Adam Burke
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

What I was trying to say is I would have liked to know before the draft at least to do my homework.
DevilsGM

Post by DevilsGM »

Cool and thanks man, I was already gonna write an article about my draft day so this is just more incentive to make it thorough. :D
BSBullies

Post by BSBullies »

Penguin wrote:What I was trying to say is I would have liked to know before the draft at least to do my homework.
This is an exercise to keep league activity at a premium and earn a little bonus for your efforts, we'd appreciate any further comments you have be PM'd, Matt.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

I didn't draft any < 70 pot prospects (stupid Doug Wilson traded my 6th and 7th picks), can I use it on a 2009 draftee?
Montreal Canadiens

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

I am offering 20 ceiling points to all teams who write up a post-draft article in the Team News forum. Only players taken in the 3rd round or later will be eligible. You can spread the 20 points over 2 prospects (10 on each) or you can spread it over one prospect. The prospect must be less than 70 POT and cannot be a POT booster. If you spread it over one prospect, no more than 10 ceiling points per attribute. The article needs to outline each prospect drafted and should include any draft-day trades that you made. Basically, it's the chance to make an AHLer into a depth NHL player.
Only players taken in the 3rd round or later are eligible for the article or for the reward? I'm assuming reward.

Also, SJ, this isn't a write up of your real life team's draft.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:Also, SJ, this isn't a write up of your real life team's draft.
Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll go back and edit the write up I already did about my team's draft with no incentive needed to be about the NHL Sharks' draft instead so your post makes any sense whatsoever.
Montreal Canadiens

I can't tell if you're being saracastic or not, but in your first post you blamed Doug Wilson for not having 6th or 7th round picks.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Yes, because he was the one who traded them, one as part of the Craig Rivet trade and for a 2009 pick.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Guys, if you could, please put what ceiling changes you want at the bottom of your news articles. Thanks. Love the amount of articles so far. Really achieving what I hoped to accomplish.
Adam Burke
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

I think the cap being lowered is a good idea, and actually assumed if it wasn't this year, next season it would of happened with the amount of cheap contracts being signed (im at 54.1m fyi) and it being lowered again next year should get some thought to imo. However, it appears EHM itself does a decent job of monitoring cheap/unrealistic contracts in some situations. Simming ahead, the one contract I knew I abused the flaw was Tukonen (6 yrs/700k) but in year 3/4 of the deal he becomes unhappy with his contract, platooning his morale which in turn affected his on ice performance. I'm not sure if his low CON or greed rating (I dont know it) also affects a player becoming unhappy with his deal but I would assume getting paid 700k a year and being 71oa also factored into it. I'm not sure about other teams, but of the top of my head Patrick Kane (1.5m/6 yrs) plays out his entire deal with a smile on his face apparently. Femur providing topless cab drivers to and from the arena would make the most combustible of people happy I guess......
Most recent file here.
CapsGM

Post by CapsGM »

I think a 30% increase per year is a better idea. It gives teams incentive to sign their players to shorter contracts unless they have the flexibility to lock them up long term. For instance, a 2 year contract for a $1 million ELC would bring a raise to about $1.8 million, a 4 year deal puts it close to $3 million and 6 years it is close to $5 million. Still not perfect, but $5 million is pretty close to 10% of a team's cap space.
Montreal Canadiens

SharksGM wrote:Yes, because he was the one who traded them, one as part of the Craig Rivet trade and for a 2009 pick.
Yes, but the news article is about the players you drafted, and thus you had your 6th and 7th round picks as they were untradeable.
CapsGM

Post by CapsGM »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:
SharksGM wrote:Yes, because he was the one who traded them, one as part of the Craig Rivet trade and for a 2009 pick.
Yes, but the news article is about the players you drafted, and thus you had your 6th and 7th round picks as they were untradeable.
He never had them.

162. Ottawa Senators (from SJ) - Michael Bournival, LW, Shawnigan Cataractes
192. Buffalo Sabres (from SJ) - Nikolai Suslo, C, HK Gomel (BLR)

Those picks were traded before our EHEC file was created, so he did not have those picks.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

CapsGM wrote:I think a 30% increase per year is a better idea. It gives teams incentive to sign their players to shorter contracts unless they have the flexibility to lock them up long term. For instance, a 2 year contract for a $1 million ELC would bring a raise to about $1.8 million, a 4 year deal puts it close to $3 million and 6 years it is close to $5 million. Still not perfect, but $5 million is pretty close to 10% of a team's cap space.
The problem with this is some RFAs already reached their ceilings and aren't really worth a raise anymore. And ELCs can be as low as 300k so even a 180% increase for 6 years is peanuts.

Also there should probably be an immediate ban on options on ELCs. It's unrealistic and if not banned everyone who's aware of it will have 4-5 year ELCs instead of the 3 it's supposed to be.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Sorry guys. I played a hockey game last night and then spent the rest of the night wondering if my foot was broken. I couldn't hobble my ass up the stairs, so I slept on the couch and EHM is only on my computer.

I'll be entering everything over the next couple hours and then post the sim.

Remember that the deadline for articles is 11:59 pm EST tonight.
Adam Burke
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

CapsGM wrote:
He never had them.

162. Ottawa Senators (from SJ) - Michael Bournival, LW, Shawnigan Cataractes
192. Buffalo Sabres (from SJ) - Nikolai Suslo, C, HK Gomel (BLR)

Those picks were traded before our EHEC file was created, so he did not have those picks.
Yes, and along with that, I allowed SJ's prospect with exactly 70 POT to be the one with the ceiling increase.
Adam Burke
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Only players taken in the 3rd round or later are eligible for the article or for the reward? I'm assuming reward.
For the reward, Brad. Cover all draft picks and any potential trades you made.
Adam Burke
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Sim will be completed tonight at 9. Get any all and all necessary offers in by then.

Please remember the deadline tonight for articles is 11:59 pm EST.
Adam Burke
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

The file has been posted. We're on the 17th. All trades have been entered and processed. Rights offers are in for guys whose rights were traded. They are considering them. Some POT boosters have signed, the bulk of them haven't.

http://www.ehechockey.com/EHEC.zip

Free agent frenzy begins tomorrow night at 9 pm EST.
Adam Burke
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Only about 15 minutes left on the articles.
Adam Burke
Jungle Cats

Post by Jungle Cats »

:oops:

I'm sure I posted that article before my girlfriend finished watching the OC... may have edited it just after the hour. Kind of confused as to why the forum says 8:01... what the heck timezone is that, alaska?
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Hakanpaaaaaa
Most recent file here.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Jungle Cats wrote::oops:

I'm sure I posted that article before my girlfriend finished watching the OC... may have edited it just after the hour. Kind of confused as to why the forum says 8:01... what the heck timezone is that, alaska?
You probably didn't adjust for Daylight Savings Time.
Adam Burke
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

is there a rule during UFA season that permits u from offering a contract to a UFA that would put you over the cap if was accepted/winning bid?
Most recent file here.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Tampa Bay GM wrote:is there a rule during UFA season that permits u from offering a contract to a UFA that would put you over the cap if was accepted/winning bid?
The salary cap is only in effect during the regular season and playoffs.
Adam Burke
CapsGM

Post by CapsGM »

Tampa Bay GM wrote:is there a rule during UFA season that permits u from offering a contract to a UFA that would put you over the cap if was accepted/winning bid?
I don't think so, I was like $16 million over the cap during UFA period last season. Needless to say though, I won't be splurging on UFA Russians this time around.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

I just released that the FA period is going to be a bit of a clusterfuck right now because of where the sim is sitting. There are a lot of unsigned players and whatnot still sitting around. There's definitely not enough oversight on my part. I think it's safe to assume that guys would have signed their players by now.

Either way, I will be simming up to the day before the rollover tonight.

That means I WILL SIM THE ROLLOVER TOMORROW, thus making it August 29 or 30 or whatever it is. We will then be at a standstill until the season starts.

If your players are unsigned prior to the rollover, the ones slated to become unrestricted free agents will do so. The ones who have restricted status will still be on your team.

Keep all of this in mind and get your shit in order. You've certainly had plenty of time to do so.
Adam Burke
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Also, gotta let me know on the guys with options. That's critical.
Adam Burke
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Free agency is open.
Adam Burke
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Here's the players I've replaced/added to the file:

Alex Westlund -> Adam Janosik
Mike Knoepfli -> Austin Levi
Daryl Andrews -> Jeremie Blain
Greg Labenski -> Benjamin Gallacher
Sergey Gusev -> Roman Cervenka
Gustav Gräsberg -> Mats Zuccarello Aasen
Kevin Mitchell -> Eric Moe

I have a list of a bunch of guys to replace and I'll be replacing them with a couple more real-life draftees, some European FAs and some NCAA FAs.
Adam Burke
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

I am simming up to June 24th tonight. Advancing to the next day is when the team options need to be picked up.

Teams will have until Thursday (tomorrow) night (or Friday morning if you look at it that way) at 1 am EST to let me know about their team options. If I do not hear back from them, then the player becomes a UFA.

Send these via PM to me.
Adam Burke

Return to “League Memos”