Salary Cap Question

Moderator: SharksGM

NYRNYRNYR

Salary Cap Question

Post by NYRNYRNYR »

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this! But general chatter is also general questions right? :lol: :oops: :lol:

I looked in the Rulebook and couldn't find answers to these.

1) Is cap compliance required by training camp / Exhibition games, or by start of season? By my calculations I'm going to be maybe barely over (50k-150k) and just curious.

2) Is any allowance given for UFA period? Or you cannot sign anyone if you are above the 60m ceiling?
TorontoGM

Re: Salary Cap Question

Post by TorontoGM »

I'm pretty sure there's no salary cap during the playoffs/off-season. And I believe you just need to be under the cap by waiver day which should be a few days before regular season puck drop.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

NYRNYRNYR wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:11 pm 1) Is cap compliance required by training camp / Exhibition games, or by start of season? By my calculations I'm going to be maybe barely over (50k-150k) and just curious.

2) Is any allowance given for UFA period? Or you cannot sign anyone if you are above the 60m ceiling?
You can go over the cap in the offseason, partly because it's hard to guess at a team's final cap number until after waiver day. However, if you try to make a trade to go wildly over, it will probably not get approved without a compelling explanation.

I will just note that you really really reallllly want to be under the cap for your first game, because if you're over you'll have to get under by the same amount for game 2.
NYRNYRNYR

Post by NYRNYRNYR »

Awesome, thanks so much!

Also - is there a day we have set for the cut off and beginning of UFA? Haven't seen that date posted yet. Not that it's pressing, just curious, and relevant for trading purposes too.

Return to “GM Memos and General Chatter”