Your best trades

Moderator: SharksGM

AvalancheGM

Your best trades

Post by AvalancheGM »

Thought this might be fun. I haven't been here that long but there are a few deals I'm proud of... and a couple I'm not.

One of my first trades was to acquire Ivan Barbashev from Nashville for a 3rd. Took a while to find room for him but he's been on the top line most of this year. Great playmaker and hasn't reached his ceiling yet.

I got Marner and Jesse Ylonen from Pittsburgh for Shinkaruk, Elsner and Anttoni Honka. Marner for Shinkaruk was kind of lateral but Marner is younger and slightly better defensively. Happy to get Ylonen for an extra forward and a prospect who never would have made my team. Jesse needs a bit more work defensively but will be a good one.

In the off-season I picked up Steve Mason and 2nd and 3rd round picks from Nashville for Isaiah Saville and a late 1st. Mason has been pretty good for the most part, but more importantly I got a couple of good picks too. I took goalie Calle Clang in the 2nd and winger Brandon Coe in the 3rd, who ended up bringing me Pavelski.

Perhaps the biggest move I've made was with Detroit, sending Campbell, Dellandrea, Hunter Skinner and a 5th for Demko, Jaromir Pytlik, Henry Thrun, 3rd and 4th. The jury is out on this one. Campbell is certainly having a great year for Detroit, while Demko has been hot and cold. Dellandrea is a good young asset but has topped out. Pytlik and Thrun will determine how this turns out. They're both in my top 5 prospects.

My worst trade was to get out of cap hell, sending Johns, Martindale and Cliff Pu to New Jersey for Luke Green and Tuukka Tieksola. The commish played hardball on that one.
The Colorado Avalanche - missing the playoffs every year since EHEC began
NYRNYRNYR

Re: Your best trades

Post by NYRNYRNYR »

I haven't been here long enough (Summer 2019, so 1.5 years) to really give awesome answers here. But I'll bring 1x nostalgia points to my first trade:

[OTT] Trades
Thomas Novak (76)
Aapeli Rasanen (77)
59th pick overall (2019 MTL's 2nd rounder)
OTT 2nd round pick 2020

and

[NYR] Trades
Anton Slepyshev (57)

When I joined I had 20 offers for Dal Colle and maybe 10-12 for Slepyshev. Didn't take long to realize where the interest was. I almost (almost) pulled a trigger on MDC, but ultimately very glad I didn't. Slepyshev is certainly a very fine player with a very good contract. Rasanen and the 2020 pick went via trades elsewhere. The 59th is currently Alex Campbell, playing in his first AHL season and has 21 goals in 26 games. But Novak was the real piece for me as he and MDC rocked their first year together and now with Eichel gives me a really enjoyable 1-2 punch at C on a good contract.
Bernyhawks

Post by Bernyhawks »

The one i’m most proud was when I got Kadri for Marc-Andre Fleury when I won those 2 cups in PIT.

The one I regret most was trading Weber to MTL for Suter, Spencer and D.Cotton.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Bernyhawks wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:48 pm The one i’m most proud was when I got Kadri for Marc-Andre Fleury when I won those 2 cups in PIT.
I also traded Luke Schenn to you.....

Nothing better than being forced into a decade long rebuild because of horrid management 8-)
SensGM

Post by SensGM »

NYRNYRNYR wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:43 am I haven't been here long enough (Summer 2019, so 1.5 years) to really give awesome answers here. But I'll bring 1x nostalgia points to my first trade:

[OTT] Trades
Thomas Novak (76)
Aapeli Rasanen (77)
59th pick overall (2019 MTL's 2nd rounder)
OTT 2nd round pick 2020

and

[NYR] Trades
Anton Slepyshev (57)

When I joined I had 20 offers for Dal Colle and maybe 10-12 for Slepyshev. Didn't take long to realize where the interest was. I almost (almost) pulled a trigger on MDC, but ultimately very glad I didn't. Slepyshev is certainly a very fine player with a very good contract. Rasanen and the 2020 pick went via trades elsewhere. The 59th is currently Alex Campbell, playing in his first AHL season and has 21 goals in 26 games. But Novak was the real piece for me as he and MDC rocked their first year together and now with Eichel gives me a really enjoyable 1-2 punch at C on a good contract.
That’s the one I’m the most proud of! :P
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

I have made plenty, but rather than try to rack my brains too far, here's a selection.

Worst trade: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for COL 1st 2019 and Ryan Getzlaf. Who trades a franchise center for anything short of a #1 pick? Colorado didn't even finish bottom 5 that year, Getzlaf is rapidly nearing his best-before date and has struggled to maintain .5 PPG since, and the Nuge led the Oilers to a Cup and has scored a whopping 42 playoff points in just 32 games since the trade.

Eh-est trade: Alex Radulov's rights for SJ 1st 2010, SJ 2nd 2011, and Torrey Mitchell. The 2010 draft was epic and uh, slightly overpowered, especially relative to it's real-life strength, and the Sharks sucked in that debut season, so the first ended up 12th overall. That's Steven Shipley, who has surprisingly remained a Nashville lifer despite somewhat disappointing career goal totals for a guy with 99 SH and 99 HI. I forgot about the second, and well, the 2011 draft was a sharp correction, so that pick turned into absolute nobody Tomas Jurco. Meanwhile, Radulov put up seven 30-goal seasons, including six straight and a 43-goal campaign, but is perhaps best known for getting injured in the first game and missing the entire 2011-12 season - the only Sharks' Cup win to date.

Best trade: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for Kaapo Kakko and Ryan Getzlaf. Who trades a franchise forward prospect for anything short of an Art Ross/Pearson winner? Kaapo Kakko is going to be at least as good as the Nuge - especially once he learns to play center - and the ageless, hairless wonder Getzlaf is as solid a two-way center as you can find.
TBGM - Geoff

Post by TBGM - Geoff »

I've only been around since the summer, but my best deal so far is sending Tyler Seguin to Chicago for Steves Stamkos and Victor Hedman. Stamkos isn't as good as Seguin, but having Hedman to pair with Fowler really stabilized my defense, even if they haven't performed up to their abilities yet this season.

My worst was probably sending Aapeli Rasanen to Colorado for Matthew Beattie. Beattie has been alternating between the 4th line and a healthy scratch, and Rasanen was a much better faceoff guy.
AvalancheGM

Post by AvalancheGM »

I traded Beattie for Rasanen, then turned around and traded Rasanen for picks lol.
The Colorado Avalanche - missing the playoffs every year since EHEC began

Return to “GM Memos and General Chatter”