2023 Offseason

Moderator: SharksGM

SharksGM
Site Admin

2023 Offseason

Post by SharksGM »

In brief:

- We have lots of openings (in fact, I need to update the availability as there's more than what's listed) and need new GMs.
- I will start preparing the draft class soon. It will take at least a month. So now may not be the best time to recruit, but be aware we're likely to need more interim GMs than usual (or we'll just have some teams autopick).
- You can trade and do whatever else now. I'll update the contract calculator and advance the file to mid-June some time in the next few days.

Questions?
Dallas Stars GM

Re: 2023 Offseason

Post by Dallas Stars GM »

If I can help somehow, please let me know.
STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2020, 2022
AvalancheGM

Post by AvalancheGM »

What are the main recruiting spots now? With Fhockey gone I guess it's just HFboards, EHM the blueline and maybe Reddit? I guess Hockey Virtuel too for the French GMs.

How did our European GMs get into EHM originally? Maybe there are non-English sites we don't know about?

Losing Fhockey was a big blow for this kind of stuff - EHMTB focuses almost entirely on the non-freeware versions and freeware is just a tiny little part of their boards that most users probably don't even realize exists.
The Colorado Avalanche - missing the playoffs every year since EHEC began
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

I don't think hfboards does much anymore. I bump the thread every few months but the fantasy hockey forum is flooded with "two to twenty spots open for my keeper league!!" posts so it drops down fairly quickly.

Marty has done a fine job advertising on hockeyvirtuel but so far most of the applicants from there have not actually followed through in creating a forums account and the few that did did not stick around very long afterwards. We have more than a few GMs with passable or better French but can't really claim to be a bilingual league, so I suppose that's why.

Anyway, I updated the application page with current vacancies. Most of those times will likely need interims. I can take one of Carolina (my preference) or NJ (I'm... familiar with them by now).
Dallas Stars GM

Ok, I'm assuming I'll help out by acting as Boston interim GM for the time being.
SensGM

Post by SensGM »

SharksGM wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:43 am Marty has done a fine job advertising on hockeyvirtuel but so far most of the applicants from there have not actually followed through in creating a forums account and the few that did did not stick around very long afterwards. We have more than a few GMs with passable or better French but can't really claim to be a bilingual league, so I suppose that's why.
I’ll update my post but my guess is potential GMs are not interested in a league where you advance like real life pace.
They all like turbo leagues where they sim 7 days at once, and then start from scratch after 20 seasons (3 months IRL)
TBGM - Geoff

Post by TBGM - Geoff »

I'll volunteer to be interim GM of either Edmonton or Winnipeg (I'll let the league decide which one).
AvalancheGM

Post by AvalancheGM »

I can interim for an eastern team
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

I've done 50 skaters and a couple of goalies, which is about the same pace as last season. I'll begin losing steam shortly and ask for assistance to clean up the end, especially adding a bunch of con boosters. We're more or less on track with the usual offseason pace.

As for interim GMs, we have enough volunteers but I'm going to hold off a bit on getting everyone officially appointed until the draft is ready, in case we get some more applicants.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

I managed to suck it up and have entered 135 skaters and 8 goalies so far. Another ~25 skaters and a couple of goalies and we'll have a draft class. Granted, there's a bit more work to be done to adjust the balance, set semi-random current ratings, etc. but I can probably get it done by the weekend, meaning we can start the draft in the first few days of August (sooner than last year).

If you're feeling particularly motivated, check out the sheet and let me know if Your Favourite Late Round Pick is missing. Some of the guys on the list didn't get drafted IRL but I didn't have the motivation to make sure every single real-life fifth rounder was represented.

The draft is very strong in first round, particularly for forwards. The defenders are not so impressive, although they're there. It's not very good past the second round and while the remaining prospects will tip the scales a bit, I think I'll keep it weaker than average past the mid-3rd since we've been filling up the farm with too many tweeners that put up 150 point seasons.
Dallas Stars GM

SharksGM wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:47 am I managed to suck it up and have entered 135 skaters and 8 goalies so far. Another ~25 skaters and a couple of goalies and we'll have a draft class. Granted, there's a bit more work to be done to adjust the balance, set semi-random current ratings, etc. but I can probably get it done by the weekend, meaning we can start the draft in the first few days of August (sooner than last year).

If you're feeling particularly motivated, check out the sheet and let me know if Your Favourite Late Round Pick is missing. Some of the guys on the list didn't get drafted IRL but I didn't have the motivation to make sure every single real-life fifth rounder was represented.

The draft is very strong in first round, particularly for forwards. The defenders are not so impressive, although they're there. It's not very good past the second round and while the remaining prospects will tip the scales a bit, I think I'll keep it weaker than average past the mid-3rd since we've been filling up the farm with too many tweeners that put up 150 point seasons.
Excellent work. Thank you for your dedication.
I also noticed that some good prospects ended up not being drafted IRL so no problem.
DetroitGM

Post by DetroitGM »

SharksGM wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:47 am If you're feeling particularly motivated, check out the sheet and let me know if Your Favourite Late Round Pick is missing. Some of the guys on the list didn't get drafted IRL but I didn't have the motivation to make sure every single real-life fifth rounder was represented.
Dennis Good Bogg! (as opposed to Dennis Bad Bogg)

I'm also prone to vote for players from slightly obscure nations, though Antoine Keller and Vladimir Nikitin seem the only ones who got drafted + were not included (sadly James Hong, Jay Huisman, Nino Tomov, Robin van Calster, and Zétény Hadobás were not drafted)
AvalancheGM

Post by AvalancheGM »

Must have Good Bogg.

Thanks for the hard work Dan
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Alright, I added Good-Bogg and the universally patriotic Will Vote. Everyone also got semi-random current ratings, with some manual adjustments for the top 10-ish who might conceivably jump to the pros right away. Now would be the time to point out if you think any particular prospect got slighted or if there's an obvious error I missed.

And yes, while the draft remains nominally below-average from pick 40 on, there are a fair number of good pot boosters, a few con boosters, and some potentially useful one-dimensional players with okay ratings but below-average CON. I did this partly because I feel like our average CON has been creeping up a bit too much since the league started.
Dallas Stars GM

Simashev is created pretty weak, I'd say. But that's just my opinion.

Other than that, I tried to compile all the players names that were drafted in the NHL and I couldn't find them in this EHEC draft sheet.
(even though, I'm very well aware that we have only 5 rounds)

Apologies, if I made some error. Tried my best during my time at my job.
AvalancheGM

Post by AvalancheGM »

Dionicio was already drafted in EHEC - overager IRL. There may be others like him.
TBGM - Geoff

Post by TBGM - Geoff »

I'd like to see Xhekaj added, especially since all I have is 5th round picks, which I'll likely waste on guys I like instead of attempting to find worthwhile prospects.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Dallas Stars GM wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:52 am Simashev is created pretty weak, I'd say. But that's just my opinion.
I tend to rate guys who don't score a lot in juniors lower. I suppose scouts were divided and some said he has skills and it was puzzling why he didn't do more in the MHL but I guess we'll see (at any rate, I think ARI taking him over Michkov was nuts).
Dallas Stars GM wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:52 am Other than that, I tried to compile all the players names that were drafted in the NHL and I couldn't find them in this EHEC draft sheet.
Thanks. I added Felcman and Xhekaj (Cup winner deserves as much) but man... some of those guys who weren't ranked high enough to make the list for EHEC but got drafted anyway? Christopher Pelosi couldn't crack 0.5PPG in the USHL as a forward (neither could Xhekaj so sorry Geoff, he'll never be a star). Terrell Goldsmith is a defenseman, fine, but he put up 9 points in the WHL. Nine! I mean the odds of a 4th round pick making it are slim but why just burn a lottery ticket?
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Anyway, the far more important point is that the draft is done and entered in the file. If there are any more changes (error fixes), I will announce them here. Dates for the draft will also be announced shortly but expect it to start about a week from now. Get yourselves logged in and up to date before then.

I will also be sorting out the interim GMs shortly. We had a promising applicant for BUF who is having computer issues. Hopefully he'll sort that out and get on board. So we still need CAR (me), EDM (?), MTL (Bern?), NJ (Kevin/Martin?) and WPG (?? I don't think anyone else from the East volunteered, so let me know ASAP).
Dallas Stars GM

SharksGM wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:44 am
Dallas Stars GM wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:52 am Simashev is created pretty weak, I'd say. But that's just my opinion.
I tend to rate guys who don't score a lot in juniors lower. I suppose scouts were divided and some said he has skills and it was puzzling why he didn't do more in the MHL but I guess we'll see (at any rate, I think ARI taking him over Michkov was nuts).
Dallas Stars GM wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:52 am Other than that, I tried to compile all the players names that were drafted in the NHL and I couldn't find them in this EHEC draft sheet.
Thanks. I added Felcman and Xhekaj (Cup winner deserves as much) but man... some of those guys who weren't ranked high enough to make the list for EHEC but got drafted anyway? Christopher Pelosi couldn't crack 0.5PPG in the USHL as a forward (neither could Xhekaj so sorry Geoff, he'll never be a star). Terrell Goldsmith is a defenseman, fine, but he put up 9 points in the WHL. Nine! I mean the odds of a 4th round pick making it are slim but why just burn a lottery ticket?
Yeah, sure no problem, just wanted to help out a bit with that list.
To be honest, both amateur and pro scouting at the NHL level baffles me sometimes. There were some solid prospects that I thought are going to be drafted in mid-rounds but finally, weren't drafted at all. So I think the list is great as it is.
Can't wait for the EHEC draft.

When it comes to interim job, I can take any team you need. Just let me know.
TBGM - Geoff

Post by TBGM - Geoff »

I can manage either of the Western teams temporarily if required
NYRNYRNYR

Post by NYRNYRNYR »

SharksGM wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:52 am Anyway, the far more important point is that the draft is done and entered in the file. If there are any more changes (error fixes), I will announce them here. Dates for the draft will also be announced shortly but expect it to start about a week from now. Get yourselves logged in and up to date before then.

I will also be sorting out the interim GMs shortly. We had a promising applicant for BUF who is having computer issues. Hopefully he'll sort that out and get on board. So we still need CAR (me), EDM (?), MTL (Bern?), NJ (Kevin/Martin?) and WPG (?? I don't think anyone else from the East volunteered, so let me know ASAP).
I'd volunteer for a west as well if needed. EDM/WPG whatever.
AvalancheGM

Post by AvalancheGM »

I can do NJ or MTL if needed
Bernyhawks

Post by Bernyhawks »

SharksGM wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:52 am Anyway, the far more important point is that the draft is done and entered in the file. If there are any more changes (error fixes), I will announce them here. Dates for the draft will also be announced shortly but expect it to start about a week from now. Get yourselves logged in and up to date before then.

If someone wants to interim the Habs, go for it.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Alright, so how about these interims:

BUF - ??
CAR - SJ
EDM - TB
MTL - COL
NJ - DAL
WPG - NYR

That work for everyone?
Dallas Stars GM

SharksGM wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:11 am Alright, so how about these interims:

BUF - ??
CAR - SJ
EDM - TB
MTL - COL
NJ - DAL
WPG - NYR

That work for everyone?
Works for me, no problem.
Should I set up new interim account for NJ?
NYRNYRNYR

Post by NYRNYRNYR »

SharksGM wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:11 am Alright, so how about these interims:

BUF - ??
CAR - SJ
EDM - TB
MTL - COL
NJ - DAL
WPG - NYR

That work for everyone?
Works for me. Can you make apps to the forums active?
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

There's no need for separate accounts yet. Maybe for free agency if you want to juggle two logins but just posting which team you're bidding for is also fine.
Dallas Stars GM

SharksGM wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:58 am There's no need for separate accounts yet. Maybe for free agency if you want to juggle two logins but just posting which team you're bidding for is also fine.
Well noted, thanks.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Post rollover sadness:

Player Rohrer, Vinzenz [team:TB, rights:TB], 18.98yrs, 600000x3 (TB, 81 CON) boosted from 59 to 69
Player Bystedt, Filip [team:NYR, rights:NYR], 19.58yrs, 600000x3 (NYR, 75 CON) boosted from 66 to 76
Player Forsell, Lucas [team:MIN, rights:MIN], 20.00yrs, 600000x3 (MIN, 45 CON) busted from 73 to 53
Player Persson, Ludwig [team:FLA, rights:FLA], 19.91yrs, 600000x3 (FLA, 78 CON) boosted from 57 to 67
Player Gardner, Daimon [team:SJ, rights:SJ], 19.63yrs, 950000x3 (SJ, 75 CON) boosted from 66 to 76
Player Hall, Barrett [team:SJ, rights:SJ], 19.68yrs, 600000x3 (SJ, 80 CON) boosted from 57 to 77
Player Hamara, Tomas [team:COL, rights:COL], 19.49yrs, 600000x3 (COL, 76 CON) boosted from 68 to 78
Player Bichsel, Lian [team:NYR, rights:NYR], 19.30yrs, 900000x3 (NYR, 75 CON) boosted from 67 to 77
Player Filmon, Josh [team:DET, rights:DET], 19.46yrs, 600000x3 (DET, 75 CON) boosted from 57 to 67
Player Janicke, Justin [team:MTL, rights:MTL], 20.18yrs, 600000x3 (MTL, 42 CON) busted from 72 to 52
Player Korchinski, Kevin [team:SJ, rights:SJ], 19.20yrs, 950000x3 (SJ, 75 CON) boosted from 69 to 79
Player Fisher, Michael [team:CGY, rights:CGY], 19.34yrs, 600000x4 (CGY, 79 CON) boosted from 58 to 68
Player Blake, Jackson [team:CAR, rights:CAR], 20.09yrs, 600000x3 (CAR, 77 CON) boosted from 63 to 73
Player Dumais, Jordan [team:OTT, rights:OTT], 19.39yrs, 600000x3 (OTT, 75 CON) boosted from 59 to 69
Player Poitras, Matthew [team:EDM, rights:EDM], 19.49yrs, 700000x3 (EDM, 85 CON) boosted from 68 to 78
Player Webber, Cade [team:NYI, rights:NYI], 22.66yrs, 720000x1 (NYI, 77 CON) boosted from 58 to 68
Player Locmelis, Dans [team:NYR, rights:NYR], 19.62yrs, 600000x3 (NYR, 75 CON) boosted from 55 to 65
Player Mathurin, Tnias [team:PIT, rights:PIT], 19.64yrs, 600000x3 (PIT, 81 CON) boosted from 62 to 72
Player Neuchev, Viktor [team:OTT, rights:OTT], 19.86yrs, 600000x3 (OTT, 75 CON) boosted from 58 to 78
Player Miroshnichenko, Ivan [team:SJ, rights:SJ], 19.58yrs, 1100000x3 (SJ, 76 CON) boosted from 69 to 79
Player George, Isaiah [team:SJ, rights:SJ], 19.55yrs, 950000x3 (SJ, 78 CON) boosted from 67 to 77
Player Gaucher, Nathan [team:SJ, rights:SJ], 19.83yrs, 1000000x3 (SJ, 82 CON) boosted from 66 to 76
Player Östlund, Noah [team:COL, rights:COL], 19.48yrs, 600000x3 (COL, 77 CON) boosted from 68 to 78
Player Dionicio, Rodwin [team:OTT, rights:OTT], 19.43yrs, 600000x3 (OTT, 75 CON) boosted from 55 to 65
Player Morden, Matthew [team:FLA, rights:FLA], 19.10yrs, 600000x3 (FLA, 75 CON) boosted from 56 to 76
Player Petrovský, Servác [team:TB, rights:TB], 19.07yrs, 600000x3 (TB, 75 CON) boosted from 58 to 68
Player Healey, Ryan [team:BUF, rights:BUF], 19.29yrs, 600000x3 (BUF, 82 CON) boosted from 68 to 78
Player Hayes, Gavin [team:NYR, rights:NYR], 19.31yrs, 600000x3 (NYR, 42 CON) busted from 53 to 43
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Gonna revise my initial assessment (before I actually read the whole list) and say that it's happiness rather than sadness, at least for me.

My condolences to the Panthers (not Penguins, sorry) for Danila Yurov not boosting, which is the biggest miss I can think of.

Also of note: 3/12 of the 5-pot boosters who boosted went up to 7, and a 22-year-old booster went from 5 to 6??
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Alright, here's who failed to boost, and I'm gonna re-submit those condolences to Pittsburgh. WTF, EHM?

Player Warren, Noah [team:PIT, rights:PIT], 19.14yrs, 750000x3 (PIT, 77 CON) failed to boost from 56 POT
Player Forsmark, Simon [team:NYI, rights:NYI], 19.88yrs, 600000x3 (NYI, 75 CON) failed to boost from 68 POT
Player Gustafson, Jordan [team:PIT, rights:PIT], 19.62yrs, 600000x3 (PIT, 78 CON) failed to boost from 59 POT
Player Furlong, Jake [team:CGY, rights:CGY], 19.50yrs, 600000x4 (CGY, 78 CON) failed to boost from 69 POT
Player Yurov, Danila [team:FLA, rights:FLA], 19.70yrs, 1050000x3 (FLA, 78 CON) failed to boost from 69 POT
Player Tschigerl, Sean [team:PIT, rights:PIT], 20.40yrs, 600000x3 (PIT, 80 CON) failed to boost from 68 POT
Player Matikka, Miko [team:ARI, rights:ARI], 19.86yrs, 600000x3 (ARI, 75 CON) failed to boost from 63 POT
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Doing the math:

2/13 double (5x pot) boosters failed, 3 boosted twice, and the remaining 8 boosted once. So I think this argues for adding more 5-pot boosters. I don't know what it implied about boost rates that 85% boosted once and only 23% twice, other than it's not simply two rolls at ~70% odds. It could just be one random number with two thresholds.

13/18 single boosters boosted (72%). Fairly typical.

Return to “League Memos”