Quenneville Calls Roster Scrum “Pillow Fight”

Moderator: SharksGM

Femur

Post by Femur »

Hawks Break Camp With Roster Not Decided

“Da Hawks Beat”, by Buster Hyman

As the Blackhawks opened camp, the fight for the final few roster spots on the big club was labeled a war by Hawks Nation; if this is war, then break out the handbags says the always salty head coach Joel Quenneville. “I wasn't impressed by the kids' effort”, spat Quenneville, “not...at...all.” When asked if he felt those in contention fought hard enough he added, “it was a fight alright...a pillow fight.”

Centerman Bryan Bickell probably did enough to to make the squad to start the season; at least he did nothing to hurt his chances. Beyond that who knows? No young player stood out, and there were a few notable disappointments. Hawks top prospect Igor Makarov made headlines in the off-season by signing a contract and making the jump from Russia to North America. To my bloodshot eyes, it looks like his journey will take him to Rockford and not Chicago in October. It also sounds like Quenneville sees it that way as well, “did we get a sniper? When? I would like to meet him” he quipped when asked about Makarov. I followed up by asking him if he was singling out Makarov to motivate him, his reply was immediate, “something motivates him? I would like to know what that is.” GM Stan Bowman was far more optimistic, “Igor is just over from Russia, there will be some transition time.”

If Makarov's landing was more of a thud, then the blow was softened by other top prospects also failing to get noticed. Brian Connelly (widely thought to take Brent Sopel's roster spot) will most likely start in Rockford with the Hawks keeping Sopel around to start the year. Other blue chippers such as Kyle Beach, Billy Sweatt, Dylan Olsen, and this year's number one pick Sebastien Ottosson also did not stand out, most likely none of them will make the final 23 one opening night.

So the question is who will make the club? My money is on the experienced Tomas Kopecky because Quenneville wants to play it safe, but also look for a surprise. If I had to guess (and my editor Fakhir Sweetly tells me that I do have to guess because it is my job) I would say rookie winger Petr Straka has as good a chance as any. He has been very strong on his skates, and the coaches love the way he plays the game. These answers will come quickly as the pre-season is over for da Hawks and we will see how things pan out in the next few days.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Re: Quenneville Calls Roster Scrum “Pillow Fight”

Post by SharksGM »

If Petr Straka plays on your team this season I'll eat your hat, so long as it's a nacho hat.
Femur

Re: Quenneville Calls Roster Scrum “Pillow Fight”

Post by Femur »

SharksGM wrote:If Petr Straka plays on your team this season I'll eat your hat, so long as it's a nacho hat.
mmmmmm....nacho hat.....

Return to “Team News”