Waiver Rule Change

Moderator: SharksGM

Virtual Jarmo

Waiver Rule Change

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Effective immediately. Obviously, there's some concern with the new financial policies and some of the current large contracts that teams are saddled with. So, that said, I will institute re-entry waivers, similar to what the NHL has. Waived players making over the AHL minimum can spend one week there. After that, they must be re-entered back to the pro roster. If a team wishes to claim him, they can do so at 50% of his salary. If no team wishes to claim him, the team with ownership of his rights can continue to use him, or outright release him and pay the buyout as listed in the Rulebook.

To recap: Player making above 1.2M (current AHL threshold, may change in future) can be sent down. He cannot be there longer than a week. After a week's time, he will be placed on re-entry waivers. He will be on re-entry waivers for 24 hours. Waiver priority will go by current league standings. After the 24-hour period, the team with his rights can place him back in the lineup or outright release him.

Teams attempting to acquire the player after the 24-hour waiver period has passed will be subject to 100% of his salary.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
CapsGM

Re: Waiver Rule Change

Post by CapsGM »

Does the team that waived the player still has to pick up 50% of the salary?
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

The team who waived the player will be on the hook for whatever is in the Rulebook based on salary and how the player was acquired. We don't have to pay guys 100% like we would if we had a players union. The difference being that the the 75% for players you acquire and try to buyout will be dropped to 50%.

So, you'll still be on the hook for a 20%, 40%, or 50% buyout, depending on how the player was acquired and what his salary is.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

I think he means if someone is claimed on re-entry waivers, are you stuck with the other 50% of the cap hit like in the NHL?

Some teams put guys on re-entry waivers just to see if someone will take them and never end up buying out their contracts.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

SharksGM wrote:I think he means if someone is claimed on re-entry waivers, are you stuck with the other 50% of the cap hit like in the NHL?

Some teams put guys on re-entry waivers just to see if someone will take them and never end up buying out their contracts.
Yeah, which is my answer. You're responsible for the buyout % as listed in the Rulebook, but the other team can get him for 50% of cost.

I think your question is pertaining to if you can pull him back off re-entry waivers. I guess I'd say yes to that.
Adam Burke
Femur

Post by Femur »

my god this league is complicated. i'm goin' Dale Talon on this thing from now on: just tell me what i owe my players and when the doo-doo hits the fan and the bill comes due, i am outta here!
Parker

Post by Parker »

Hahaha no kidding, Femur. No offense meant to league brass as all these rules are intended to promote competitive balance, but holy shit. :shock:

It's a shame nobody has published a hockey sim that would actually handle all this extraneous BS.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Parker wrote:It's a shame nobody has published a hockey sim that would actually handle all this extraneous BS.
How do you think I feel? I have to keep coming up with this shit on the fly.

I need to edit the main page Rulebook. It's just hard to put all of this in to easy-to-comprehend wording.
Adam Burke
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

How much do you think you MAY increase the AHL salary limit? I think it would be a great idea with contracts increasing, obv not too much.

2 million?
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Initially, I think 1.5M was the number discussed. I'll take another look at it once we start seeing how the contracts are lining up.
Adam Burke
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Rule added to the rulebook, along with the 72 games played for goaltenders rule.
Adam Burke
Parker

Post by Parker »

That games played number includes games where the starter comes in to replace the backup after he shit the bed, right? You might want to include that in the wording, that a GM should allow room for that situation and not just plan to let his backup start the last ten games of the season in a row.
Parker

Post by Parker »

Just to mention it again, I for one certainly appreciate all the hard work and time spent by the commish and his henchmen. I might complain once in a while but I want it to be clear that I think you guys are doing a fantastic job.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

Parker wrote:... and his henchmen...
Made me laugh, and think of:
Parker

Post by Parker »

Hahahaha.

"Igor, why must you torture that animal so?"

"...it's what I do."

Return to “League Memos”