Columbus Dispatch - 2011 EHEC Draft Preview

Moderator: SharksGM

Virtual Jarmo

Columbus Dispatch - 2011 EHEC Draft Preview

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Following a disappointing, but somewhat expected, beatdown by the eventual Stanley Cup Champion Phoenix Coyotes, GM Adam Burke has set his sights on freeing up money to take care of team needs. So far, Mike Commodore and Ryan Smyth have been traded, freeing up 10 million dollars, but giving the team a lack of leadership and a hole in the top six to fill. With their draft selection sitting at 28th overall, it is hard to envision the Jackets finding a player who can step in at any point this season.

"We were extremely pleased with the development of Joonas Donskoi," Burke told the Dispatch by email earlier this week. "He's going to play a huge role next year, but we still have a vacancy at left wing. We have a couple names in the works, so we'll see if they pan out."

Before heading to Minnesota for the 2011 Draft, Burke told the Dispatch that he might take a reach late in the first round. "A lot of the clear-cut talent might be off the board by the time we pick, and that's going to dictate our approach. It's a good year to move up in the draft, but I have no interest in trading multiple third round selections to move up. We're in a position where we can wait on a guy. We don't have to rush anybody."

Burke added two third rounders, one from the Ryan Smyth trade to Edmonton and another in the Mike Commodore deal. The pick from the Islanders is a 2012 pick, a draft that is rumored by scouts in the hockey circles to be a much deeper class of talent.

"We may reach for a player who isn't really on the board as a first round talent. Developmentally, a lot of things can happen. It all depends on what the teams in front of us do and if the position we're looking for is available."

Burke also hinted at trying to secure a better AHL goaltender who may have a ceiling as an NHL backup. "We feel like we have neglected Springfield. We've simply used the team as a means to develop the 2010 draft class. That is unfair to the fans of Springfield, the coaching staff, and some of the veterans that we have there. The later round picks, guys like Nils Andersson and Marek Racuk will open in Springfield, but we expect to get them some free agent talent and a more consistent goaltender."

When asked about trade activity, Burke said, "There's always a ton. Whether we'll be involved or not, I'm not sure. It's all contingent on what becomes available. I think we have some opportunities presenting themselves. I just don't know what assets I want to give up to get them. It's a tough balance to achieve because we think we have a good core group of guys and we're just lacking one or two more players and more consistency from Steve Mason."

When asked for one word to describe what he hopes to achieve with this year's draft, Burke responded, "Excitement."
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide

Return to “Team News”