#24 (1st rnd)
#78 (3rd rnd, from CHI)
#86 (3rd rnd, from TB)
#93 (4th rnd, from COL)
#113 (4th rnd, from WSH)
#144 (5th rnd)
#174 (6th rnd)
#204 (7th rnd)

The Rangers will look to add some more pieces to the puzzle at this weekend's draft, but don't expect to pick up any blockbusters. Four picks in the top 100 should equate to at least two NHLers, however. Rangers GM Pat Webber said he is not targeting any particular players, but will likely go with the best player available with each pick. "We don't have any glaring weaknesses right now, but I'd like us to deepen our prospect pool." This year's graduation of blueliners Michael Del Zotto and Ryan McDonagh, and the anticipated graduation of 2010 picks Mikael Salmivirta and Sebastian Wannstrom, has left the cupboard of youth a little bare. "We've got some low-end or fringe players that could have impacts for us in a another year or two, but we need to stock up with some top- to middle-level talent too," added Webber. With eight regulars at or over the age of 30, this need will only grow in the coming years.

Usually not the most active of traders, Webber made three deals in one day a week before the draft. Those deals netted RFA center Jason Arnott, checking winger Trent Hunter, and 2nd and 3rd round picks from Chicago. Leaving Broadway were Chris Drury, the Chicago 2nd, and prospect Josh Birkholz. The remaining third rounder will come in handy, but the Rangers once again will be without a second round pick. "Yeah, the second round is where many of the unanticipated gems turn up, but we're confident we can find something good in the third round too." Webber added that Rangers fans shouldn't be surprised to see more deals in the hours leading up to the draft, and/or during the 11 weeks during which the draft takes place.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Re: New York Rangers 2011 Draft Preview

Post by SharksGM »

Hey, I gave some hints who I might be targeting, the least you could do picking one spot ahead of me is to do the same :!:
Parker

Post by Parker »

SharksGM wrote:Hey, I gave some hints who I might be targeting, the least you could do picking one spot ahead of me is to do the same :!:
Haha, I thought about this when I was putting together my draft preview... I totally don't WANT to give away who I'm interested in, but I needed a story, damnit!
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

SharksGM wrote:Hey, I gave some hints who I might be targeting, the least you could do picking one spot ahead of me is to do the same :!:
:D

FROM THE DESK OF PAT WEBBER, GM, NEW YORK RANGERS

Sunday Update: Who are we targeting with the 24th pick? Seriously, it's too hard to say at this moment. While we would prefer to take a top-6 level F or top-2 level D, it's doubtful there will be anyone of that level left at 24. Even if there is, my personal preference is to avoid one-dimensional or CON-challenged players. In fact, I would choose a good-skating, high consistency, defensive winger over an offensively supercharge, but one-dimensional and low-CON, forward. The same thinking holds for D, too. And...adding another wrinkle to the mix, despite the presence of superstar Henrik Lundqvist, if one of the top-end goalies was still available at 24, we would seriously consider taking him as Henrik's eventual replacement.

There.

Return to “Team News”