NHL Coyotes Are Dirty Too

Moderator: SharksGM

Virtual Jarmo

NHL Coyotes Are Dirty Too

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Parker's bunch is rubbing off on them.

Doesn't get more blatant than what Shane Doan did tonight:

Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Parker

Re: NHL Coyotes Are Dirty Too

Post by Parker »

All he did was give him a facewash. What's the big deal?

Morrow was asking for it, too.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Parker wrote:All he did was give him a facewash. What's the big deal?

Morrow was asking for it, too.
Did you miss the elbow to Benn's face that sparked it?
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Parker

Post by Parker »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:Did you miss the elbow to Benn's face that sparked it?
That's what I meant by the facewash. It looked like he just kinda smacked Benn with his glove; it didn't look like an elbow to me.

Seriously though, yeah. Doan's kinda dirty. I don't care; he's still my second-favorite player of all time.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Parker wrote:That's what I meant by the facewash. It looked like he just kinda smacked Benn with his glove; it didn't look like an elbow to me.

Seriously though, yeah. Doan's kinda dirty. I don't care; he's still my second-favorite player of all time.
Oh. Nah, had the right elbow up.

Doan is kind of dirty. He's also a leader and a warrior. I'm a fan of him as well. Just not a fan of shit like that.
Adam Burke
Parker

Post by Parker »

Plus he totally fucking pwned Mantracker.
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Cheap play by a cheap player
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

I don't understand why there is a penalty for elbowing when really it's a clear shot to the head. I say abolish the elbowing rule, and start calling 5 minute penalties for head shots. Duncan Keith did the exact same thing to Daniel Sedin this evening but only got 2 minutes.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Three games from Doan from the Shanahammer. Have to think the fact that Benn wasn't really hurt factored in. He'd have gotten 5+ if that were the case.
Adam Burke
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

TorontoGM wrote:I don't understand why there is a penalty for elbowing when really it's a clear shot to the head. I say abolish the elbowing rule, and start calling 5 minute penalties for head shots. Duncan Keith did the exact same thing to Daniel Sedin this evening but only got 2 minutes.
I'd be on board with an automatic major for an elbow. Like you said, there's not really any other point of contact for an elbowing penalty other than the head.

Guys need to be able to hit with their elbows down. I get that sometimes it's an upward motion with the shoulder if coming from the side or diagonally from behind, and the elbow comes up, but still. Beat the guy to the spot and then hit him.

They can talk about softening the elbow pads all they want, but the only way to eliminate elbows from the game is to severely penalize them.

Regarding the Keith elbow from last night, I don't think it was "premeditated" as Sedin said, but there's no excuse for a hit that high. I'd expect Keith to get 2 games. Slightly less severe than Doan who is a repeat offender. But, whatever punishment gets handed down, it won't be enough for Canucks fans.
Adam Burke
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Did you see Daniels hit on Keith before the elbow? Could make a case for premeditated but who knows what Shanny decides. I hope it's 3 games.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

TorontoGM wrote:Did you see Daniels hit on Keith before the elbow? Could make a case for premeditated but who knows what Shanny decides. I hope it's 3 games.
Saw it after I posted. Yeah, maybe it was premeditated.

Suspension for sure, probably longer now that Sedin is concussed.
Adam Burke
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Much deserved 5 games for Keith.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Definitely. Better watch his back if these two meet again too.
Adam Burke
Montreal Canadiens

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

Should have been rest of the season, that was one of the most low-ball cheap hits I've seen in a long time against a guy who throws 5 body checks a year.

Henrik even said Keith threatened Daniel that he was going to take him out before he did. I wonder if Gregg Williams sent him a cheque for $15,000?

I think Bieksa said somethign along the lines of, "We'll remember Mr. Keith."
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:Should have been rest of the season, that was one of the most low-ball cheap hits I've seen in a long time against a guy who throws 5 body checks a year.
What Keith did was wrong, but Sedin's not exempt from blame. His hit was high and unnecessary as well. Five games is fine.
Adam Burke
Montreal Canadiens

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:
Montreal Canadiens wrote:Should have been rest of the season, that was one of the most low-ball cheap hits I've seen in a long time against a guy who throws 5 body checks a year.
What Keith did was wrong, but Sedin's not exempt from blame. His hit was high and unnecessary as well. Five games is fine.
What'd Sedin do? Finish his first body check of his career?
MinnesotaGM

Post by MinnesotaGM »

i thought the sedins were exempt from body to body contact, isnt that in there contract :lol:
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:What'd Sedin do? Finish his first body check of his career?
Your bias is astounding. Over the last three years, the Canucks have done no wrong. Not once. No hit is dirty. Every hit on them is the worst hit of the season.

Sedin makes illegal head contact to a player who was not in possession of the puck.

Aaron Ward is absolutely right with what he says. The puck is gone, the hit is late, the principle point of contact is the head.

It's a blindside hit, something the NHL wanted to eliminate. If a hit like that happened across the middle of the ice, a la the Nathan Horton hit from last season, people would be clamoring for a suspension to Sedin.

Not saying what Keith did was right or justifiable. But, if you want to throw shoulder-to-head blindside hits in the corner, you ought to expect to get hit. Unfortunate result because Keith's elbow got up. Had he kept his elbows down and laid out Sedin cleanly, Canucks fans would still be calling for a suspension.

Keith's punishment is fair. I won't say Sedin got what he deserved, because nobody deserves an elbow to the face resulting in a concussion. In a sense, though, Sedin's lack of judgment is why Keith put a target on his back. It was an unnecessary hit to the head that spawned Keith's elbow.

Unfortunate all around.
Adam Burke
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

I like Sedin finishing a hit like that, clearly full of nastiness but a element the Twins never seem to show. I'm surprised Sedin wasn't more aware of Keith looking for him, but that was a crazy flying elbow to the face and he doesn't even have the puck. 5 games is OK, but CHI 100% makes the playoffs so worst case scenario they fall a few seeds without their number one D. Every game remaining minus 1 or 2 would of been better, it be different if CHI was fighting for a playoff spot IMO.

GO JETS GO
Most recent file here.
Montreal Canadiens

The hit from last year was one of the most clean hits I've ever seen. Wasn't even worth a suspension at all.

Also Raffi Torres made a few dirty hits last year but either than him, nobody really has done anything like that on the Canucks.

Aaron Ward is a dummy, plain and simple. Interesting you didn't show the video when everybody else on that panel disagreed with him, and thought it was a fine hit (interesting that Shanahan agreed as well). Sedin didn't get his elbow up, and his shoulder connected with Keith first, wasn't quite direct contact to the head like the elbow from Keith was. His elbow was also covered in some high quality plastic. Don't have your head down admiring a pass, he probably figured Daniel wouldn't touch him.

Keith had all day to realize that Daniel didn't have the puck and instead of turning back to get it, he blatantly cheap shots him. It's pretty typical from that team.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:Aaron Ward is a dummy, plain and simple. Interesting you didn't show the video when everybody else on that panel disagreed with him, and thought it was a fine hit (interesting that Shanahan agreed as well). Sedin didn't get his elbow up, and his shoulder connected with Keith first, wasn't quite direct contact to the head like the elbow from Keith was. His elbow was also covered in some high quality plastic. Don't have your head down admiring a pass, he probably figured Daniel wouldn't touch him.
Who else was on the panel? I didn't look for any video other than the one I saw on Puck Daddy's blog.

It was contact to the head. No, it wasn't as blatant as Keith's. I'm not denying that Keith was in the wrong and deserved to be suspended. I'm saying, it wasn't out of nowhere. It was retaliatory for Sedin's high hit on him.
Keith had all day to realize that Daniel didn't have the puck and instead of turning back to get it, he blatantly cheap shots him. It's pretty typical from that team.
Yeah, Blackhawks players get suspended left and right. All the time.
Adam Burke

Return to “The Sports Bar”