The Call

Moderator: SharksGM

GM Office Q

The Call

Post by GM Office Q »

:lol: I made $7.62 thanks to these officials.
Virtual Jarmo

Re: The Call

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Maybe the Packers should have scored more than 12 points with their perennial MVP candidate QB and it would have never gotten to that point.

I realize the call was atrocious, and the league is rightfully taking a beating for using these replacement officials who are in way over their heads, but, Russell Wilson had thrown for 106 yards prior to that play. And the Packers had a 5-point lead.

Can't say I feel bad for them. Play better and you win the game.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
GM Office Q

Post by GM Office Q »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:Maybe the Packers should have scored more than 12 points with their perennial MVP candidate QB and it would have never gotten to that point.

I realize the call was atrocious, and the league is rightfully taking a beating for using these replacement officials who are in way over their heads, but, Russell Wilson had thrown for 106 yards prior to that play. And the Packers had a 5-point lead.

Can't say I feel bad for them. Play better and you win the game.
I think the Seahawks deserved to win that game. Their defense is among the best that I've seen from the NFL this season, and they showed it again against Rodgers and the Green Bay offense. But I'm still loving that horrible call. :lol:
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

AvsGM wrote:I think the Seahawks deserved to win that game. Their defense is among the best that I've seen from the NFL this season, and they showed it again against Rodgers and the Green Bay offense. But I'm still loving that horrible call. :lol:
Sure, defensively, the Seahawks deserved to win the game. Neither team deserved shit on offense, at least according to the box score since I didn't watch the game. Just watched my Twitter timeline blow up periodically.

The NFL is a bad product. They've pussified the sport down to flag football. There are fewer and fewer likable players. So much arrogance displayed in every game. Tickets are too expensive and they buttfuck you on parking. Too many TV timeouts.

In my humble opinion, there's very little to like about today's NFL. If it weren't for fantasy football and betting, everybody would spend their Sundays out doing things instead of watching football. I don't even watch Browns games anymore. I go out and live my life. It's not enough that the team sucks, but it's just a boring, slow product. And this is from somebody who's a huge baseball fan, which baseball is always criticized for being boring and slow.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Femur

Post by Femur »

agree with everything said by Burke and will add that chicks love the NFL, which is enough for me to hate it. there might be nothing less likely for me to do than sit down and watch a Browns game.
Jungle Cats

Post by Jungle Cats »

I turned the game off just before this nonsense happened, and then the internet exploded. Just... pay the refs. Jesus.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Only missed call was the offensive pass interference on Shields, other than that I agree with the call. No clear evidence to overturn it and offensive player gets the benefit of a doubt on a simultaneous catch according to the rule book.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

Seriously horrible fucking call. So no NHL, the NFL is getting worse, and I find MLB and NBA seriously unwatchable. What's left?
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

^Futbol and cricket, the two most popular sports on the planet. :P
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

Bub(NYR) wrote:Seriously horrible fucking call. So no NHL, the NFL is getting worse, and I find MLB and NBA seriously unwatchable. What's left?
!!
GM Office Q

Post by GM Office Q »

Bub(NYR) wrote:Seriously horrible fucking call. So no NHL, the NFL is getting worse, and I find MLB and NBA seriously unwatchable. What's left?
Last NHL lockout I caught on to the CFL. Worked out great for me - I've been to three games so far at BC Place this season. This time around, I'm watching more and more NFL. Even thinking a trip to the "Clink" this season might be in order.

As a Laker fan, I find the NBA extremely watchable. 8-)

When I lived a few minutes from Dodger Stadium I got lightly into the MLB by watching 5-10 games for the price of 1 NHL game, but I still get a bit bored watching it on TV. Too bad 'the trade' didn't work out so well for the Dodgers or I'd be watching their playoff game(s). Adding a guy like Beckett to any team is a horrible idea. Also, speaking ill of the MLB is blasphemous around these parts with Adam running the show! :!:
Commish Bub(NYR)

Pfft. I'm too old and cranky to be scared off.

I love watching baseball live, but it's been nearly 20 years since I could watch it on TV and follow the league on a regular basis. The NBA bores me, and I like college basketball but can't stand the bullshit hype around it. Ditto for college football. For both, individual games I can get into, but the constant starfucking gets on my nerves.

Cricket....not trying to be insulting, but matches that can go on for days? No thanks.

Soccer....have some friends in town who are serious about the Bundesliga and the English Premier league. Now may be my chance to hook on to that...

I'll still watch the NFL, but more and more I find I'm enjoying the games with the sound muted. Do you guys have any (national) announcers that you can stand?
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

College football and college hoops are where it's at. I never watched the NHL anyway. Don't give a shit. I go to Monsters games because I get free tickets from a buddy who works for the team keeping stats.

Never liked the NBA. Won't watch much of the baseball playoffs because the Indians are never in them.

Luckily, all the fall shows are returning, so that keeps me busy on every day but Saturday, since I sit and watch college football all day.
Adam Burke
Montreal Canadiens

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

Great call!!

Green Bay got some atrocious penalties called in their favor leading up to the go-ahead Touchdown, so in the end, Karma hit.

I can understand the flags, and the indecisive ness on some of the calls, but what really gets me is the fact they have been giving teams more than 3 timeouts. How hard is it to count to 3???
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Bub(NYR) wrote:
Cricket....not trying to be insulting, but matches that can go on for days? No thanks.
That's test cricket, and yes it takes 5 days to play but they only play six hours a day with a 40 min lunch break and 20 min drink breaks. One-day internationals take like 12 hours, and each team bats for 6 fucken hours. It's pretty redonkulous.

I prefer T20, which is about 3 and a half hours and is fairly fast paced compared to the other variations.
Femur

Post by Femur »

my opinions (i know, who cares? i agree, but it is what the topic has become so i will chip in)

football - the huddle bothers me so much (h.s., college, pro) i can't sit down and watch a game. if there are at least 3 college games going on at the same time, i can flip around for an hour or so, but i am not a fan of watching the games

basketball - love college ball (in and out in 2 hours); watch the Cavs but have a hard time watching any other pro teams

baseball - going to an MLB game is one of life's great pleasures; and i love watching the MLB playoffs on tv. religiously watch the Tribe anytime i have time any format.

soccer - the single most underrated viewing sport ever. no commercials, the announcers actually understand THE GAME IS ON TV....YOU DON'T NEED TO CONSTANTLY TELL PEOPLE WHAT HAPPENED. THEY CAN SEE IT, TOO. so refreshing. plus, over in less than 2 hours as well

hockey - i like watching and going to games.

golf - 90% of the time, the back nine on Sunday PGA events becomes a great reality show. tons of drama. love it

cricket - don't know enough about it to comment.
Commish Bub(NYR)

[quote="Femur"soccer - the single most underrated viewing sport ever. no commercials, the announcers actually understand THE GAME IS ON TV....YOU DON'T NEED TO CONSTANTLY TELL PEOPLE WHAT HAPPENED. THEY CAN SEE IT, TOO. so refreshing. plus, over in less than 2 hours as well[/quote]

This.

I would add that the announcing is one reason why I don't watch as much NFL as I used to. Example: I watched the first 1.5 quarters of the Dallas-Tampa game recently, and NOT ONCE did Joe Buck and Troy Aikman add anything to what I could see myself. In fact, they constantly missed stuff -- TB center moved illegally before snapping the ball, Dallas jumps and gets called for offsides. Did Troy/Joe say anything? Of course not. And you gotta love the way Troy talks: "Over his career, in terms of touchdowns, he has the most touchdowns of any player in a career." Um, wtf?

One more rant about announcers (this is fun, so shaddap). I don't know if he still announces, but did anyone ever catch Rusty Staub call a game? He did Mets games back in the 90s, and he WOULD NOT SHUT UP. Imagine someone doing play-by-play for your daily routine, describing every last thing you do. That's Rusty.
Bruins_GM

Post by Bruins_GM »

I wish they had the end-zone camera views available as a PPV package for tv.

I wish the NFL adapted some of the CFL rules as well, especially unlimited men in motion at the snap.
CapsGM

Post by CapsGM »

Femur wrote:soccer - the single most underrated viewing sport ever. no commercials, the announcers actually understand THE GAME IS ON TV....YOU DON'T NEED TO CONSTANTLY TELL PEOPLE WHAT HAPPENED. THEY CAN SEE IT, TOO. so refreshing. plus, over in less than 2 hours as well

In all seriousness, football (I'm not calling it that bull Americanized word) has grown on me thanks to Euro Cup/World Cup/FIFA video games and I'd like to follow it a bit more. I guess with the NHL delayed, now would be a prime opportunity to pick it up...but the time zone differences and disgraceful diving make it difficult to closely follow. It's hard waking up at 10AM just to watch 22 Ryan Keslers falling down all over the field.
GM Office Q

Post by GM Office Q »

I went to a Vancouver Whitecaps game this season. Thank god that thing was only 2 hours long. 22 Keslers is a good analogy, there's literally a dive every minute. It's ridiculous, unwatchable to me. Maybe I'm bitter because this was after they stopped selling seats for the Beckham game when our brand new BC Place stadium that we paid for was less than half full to create an 'intimate' atmosphere. That's all fine, until the spokesperson went on the radio and claimed if you really wanted to see him, you'd have purchased season tickets. Great way to grow your horrendous product, bruh. :lol:
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

^Were they playing FC Dallas? Half that team could have been at the Olympics for diving.

MLS is really hit and miss sometimes, I've been to some incredibly entertaining game but I've also been to a few 0-0 stinkers. It's ping pong most of the time, 11 players and only a hand full of them really have a good grasp on passing. It also doesn't help that most of the refs they employ are terrible.

Return to “The Sports Bar”