Coyotes Gear Up For 2012-13 EHEC Season

Moderator: SharksGM

Parker

Coyotes Gear Up For 2012-13 EHEC Season

Post by Parker »

PHOENIX - On Friday, the Phoenix Coyotes concluded their 2012-13 preseason play with a road loss to division rival San Jose. Despite bad blood between the two teams in the past, a mostly clean game unfolded with the Sharks coming out on top of a 5-4 final score. After a tough preseason schedule that included only two home games, the Coyotes team returned home to regroup and make its final roster cuts.

The Coyotes weren't major players in the free agent market this summer, nor were they regarded as serious players for any of the big names changing teams in the offseason. GM Glen Ramsden prefers to build from within, and make trades only when the right opportunity arises. One such opportunity did arise when Ramsden was able to acquire promising young German tough guy David Elsner from the Calgary Flames in exchange for hard-hitting prospects Max Gardiner and Quinton Howden. Elsner has impressed in training camp and is a strong bet to break camp with the team.

With most roster spots already decided, the biggest question mark is who takes Quinton Howden's spot on the fourth line. The frontrunners appear to be the newly-acquired Elsner and the enigmatic Mike Forney, who turned heads in Portland last season with his 34 goals and tenacious physical play. Vladislav Namestnikov and Chris Brown both got long looks in camp but appear to be headed back to the AHL for further development.

Players to watch this season include Mikkel Boedker, who will have to prove his 41 goals last year was no fluke. Youngster Brett Connolly will be called on to continue his strong two-way play. Dependable Mark Alt will be given additional minutes on the blueline. Vladislav Kartayev is expected back by November; it will be interesting to see how he rebounds. On the farm, players such as Ricard Blidstrand and Vladislav Namestikov bear watching, and Joseph Labate and Logan Shaw are also expected to make strides this year.

Overall, the Coyotes look to be as strong as ever and should once again be in the mix for the highly-contested Pacific Division title.
Parker

Re: Coyotes Gear Up For 2012-13 EHEC Season

Post by Parker »

For the rewards, we're gonna go with Bryzgalov, Namestnikov, and Joseph Labate.

Also, do I still get my create-a-player coach? Shawn Cronin FTW.
Virtual Jarmo

Re: Coyotes Gear Up For 2012-13 EHEC Season

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Parker wrote:Also, do I still get my create-a-player coach? Shawn Cronin FTW.
Going to do this right now. Tired of forgetting about it. It'll be in the next upload.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide

Return to “Team News”