Calgary's busy off-season

Moderator: SharksGM

Calgary.Flames

Calgary's busy off-season

Post by Calgary.Flames »

After a disapointing 2nd round loss in the playoffs, it was clear in my mind that this team needed help in both offense and leadership. Changes were made and part of last year's problems were solved. In order to help the offense, offensive dynamo David Krejci was brought into mix in a trade that saw Brad Richards leave for Boston. Veteran Alex Tanguay was also brought back to Calgary after being Dallas' leading scorer last season in exange for Luca Caputi and John Negrin. Then came the opportunity to land one of EHEC's great leader in Scott Niedermayer. In order to bring in a guy of his caliber, Calgary had to part ways with 30 goal scorer Ryan Stoa. Kevin Shattenkirk was also acquired from Pittsburgh on draft day in order to help the powerplay. Braydon Coburn who then was part of an elite defensive squad got traded to Anaheim in return for Nikita Filatov who was the missing piece to a pretty strong group of forwards. Also for financial issues, Shawn Horcoff and Ryan Murphy had to leave for LA in a trade that saw young leader Ryan Sheahan and Denis Grebeshkov join this whole new Flames roster. Young German scrapper David Elsner also left for Phoenix in order to acquire the services of Quinton Howden and Max Gardiner. Okposo was sent to SJ for Tomas Filippi and prospect Lukas Sutter who I had my eyes on during the draft.

With a new face, this team is now ready for another promising EHEC season. No roster spots are available as the only guy that needed to prove himself worthy of an NHL job was Georges Laraque and he deliverd big time. He was acquired on the free agent market to help fill in for David Elsner, a candidate for the Bob Probert award last year. Laraque also provides leadership to this young Flames' squad. P.K. Subban was also sign to a long term deal in order to provide depth on the blue line but he's most likely going to spend another season playing on a farm team.

Looking to make names for themselves are Max Gardiner, who will make his NHL debut this season and Quinton Howden who only suited for 20 games last year. Jani Hakanpaa will also be playing his first full season in a much more different role since the team has been really happy with his progression, he now sits as the team's #4 guy on the blue line. Ryley Sheahan, Nick Bjugstad and Tomas Filippi will all sophomores and the expectations are fairly high. Sheahan will most likely start this season centering David Krejci and Alex Tanguay on the top line. Nick Bjugstad, who just got back on the ice after a season ending injury will serve as the team's 2nd line center playing alongside one of last year's top performer, Bobby Ryan. Tomas Filippi will look to fill in for Ryan Stoa on Shawn Matthias' line, who was a tremendous line for us last year.

With all the changes made and from what I've seen so far this preseason, I'm expecting nothing less than another division title for 2012-2013. I wouldn't be as surprised as the other GMs if this team went on and win the conference also. There's a solid mix of skill and grit to be found all around the lineup and Dion Phaneuf/Scott Niedermayer might be one the best pairing in EHEC.

Can't wait for the season to start!
Calgary.Flames

Re: Calgary's busy off-season

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Leadership boosts to Kipper, Lukas Sutter and Nikita Kucherov.

Return to “Team News”