NHL Today

Moderator: SharksGM

Commish Bub(NYR)

NHL Today

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

Anyone catch any games today? I watched the NBC game (plus their live look-ins for CHI-LA). It was good hockey, not nearly as sloppy as I thought it might be. And one game in and I'm already sick of Pierre Maguire. His man-love for Brendan Sutter was something else today. Favorite quote: "He can also lay some devastating body checks on you." I never noticed that when he was in CAR, so maybe Pierre's on to something. Or maybe he just REALLY missed Pronger.
Calgary.Flames

Re: NHL Today

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Bruins-Rangers game was a good one. Also, Jonathan Huberdeau is having a blast playing alongside Kovalev.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Calgary.Flames wrote:Bruins-Rangers game was a good one. Also, Jonathan Huberdeau is having a blast playing alongside Kovalev.
He's also having a blast playing against that godforsaken Canes D. :cry:
jamesredwings

Post by jamesredwings »

Carlisle smart. He played the young AHL guys who already had lots of minutes this year.

Montreal is again so bad.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Everybody hates Pierre. I don't get why. I happen to like his insight and his knowledge of players and their backgrounds is quite impressive.

Was good to hear Doc Emrick's voice again. He's one of the best play-by-play guys in all of sports.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

I am so happy I don't have to listen or see Pierre on TSN anymore.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

TorontoGM wrote:I am so happy I don't have to listen or see Pierre on TSN anymore.
What's the bug up everyone's ass about Pierre? What did he do?
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

It's not that he's a bad commentator or anything like that, he just annoys me. But I'd rather listen to him than those nethanderal homers in Boston.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Parker

Post by Parker »

I've always hated that bald bastard. It vexes me to no end that he continues to get work in broadcasting.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:Everybody hates Pierre. I don't get why. I happen to like his insight and his knowledge of players and their backgrounds is quite impressive.

Was good to hear Doc Emrick's voice again. He's one of the best play-by-play guys in all of sports.
I don't hate him, not at all. His constant star-fucking and front-runnerism just annoy me to no end. He's almost as bad as most guys calling the NFL these days. But he's not my least-favorite announcer, not by far. That goes to Jim Nantz.
Montreal Canadiens

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

Pierre says some really funny shit. He gets somewhat annoying, but instead of getting annoyed I just try to laugh.

I remember back when the NHL draft was held in Vancouver, I went up to him and said "Hey Pierre, who's your monster of the draft." Thinking he'd give me a wildcard or dark horse and replied with "Erik Johnson." Who was the consensus no.1 pick.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

He says funny shit and then he'll say creepy/awkward things. But I think we can all agree that Pierre is 100x better than Mike Milbury
CapsGM

Post by CapsGM »

TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

^Only slightly creepy. :lol:
Commish Bub(NYR)

TorontoGM wrote:He says funny shit and then he'll say creepy/awkward things. But I think we can all agree that Pierre is 100x better than Mike Milbury
God yes.
Parker

Post by Parker »

I've always had grudging respect for Milbury... I mean, after the work he did as Islanders GM, you gotta hand it to the guy for having the guts to show his face in public. The fact that he's still alive just goes to show how little fan support the Fishermen really have. :D
Commish Bub(NYR)

I kinda like it when Pierre and Mike are in the studio together -- because you know McGuire's going to insult Milbury along the line, and you're going to be able to see the exact moment registered on Mike's face when he wants to pummel Pierre with his shoe.
Femur

Post by Femur »

based upon the first two days, i can definitively say da Hawks are da best team in hockey. hope nothing changes!

oh yeah, i don't like Pierre, either. my favorite three guys are 1) Razor Ferraro, 2) Panger, and 3) Barry Melrose a distant third.
Parker

Post by Parker »

Chicken Parm is aweseome. :D
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

I thought EJ Hradek was ok on the WJC broadcasts for NHL Network. I was a big fan of Dave Starman last year and I still periodically tweet at him.

Keith Jones isn't bad.
Adam Burke
MinnesotaGM

Post by MinnesotaGM »

Let's go BUFFALO!!!!! :) Was surprised that Stafford stood up to Hartnell though.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Parker

Post by Parker »

Good to see the Flames are off to a flying start...flying off a cliff, that is. I feel bad for Iginla, and as much as I respect a guy who wants to play his whole career for one team, I sure wouldn't bear him any ill will if he decided to sign with a contender after this season.

Not that I REALLY give a shit, but the Flames are the hometown boys. I guess if I was actually rooting for anyone it'd be them, the Jets, or the Oil.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

BUMP!

Calgary is doing something they should have done years ago, and Pittsburgh is stacked even with Crosby's injury. St Louis rolls the dice with adding Bouwmy.

What I know for sure is teams are paying some pretty big prices to add a possible impact player.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Hope somebody takes James Wisniewski off the Jackets. Doubtful, but they have to unload that bum and his contract.
Adam Burke
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Jackets are gonna be buyers with their 3 1st round picks. It would be amazing if they picked up Gaborik.

These prices for rentals are not high at all. Sure, you can look at washed up stay at home dmen like Regehr and Murray getting two 1sts, but Bouwmeester and Iginla went for a 1st and some garbage prospects each. Amateur scouting is way better these days but a 16-30 pick alone is not a big deal for a top pairing defenseman/1st line forward.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

I fucken hate Mike Gillis so much.
Montreal Canadiens

^Why?

I thought the Derek Roy pickup was a good move.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Canucks are still gonna be dominated physically come playoff time.

I got nothing against Roy except his height. ;)
Montreal Canadiens

Yeah I wanted a guy with more size as well but Roy we can definitely used and came pretty cheap so I'm happy with it.

I really wanted Clowe, too bad he preferred the East Coast. Maybe Canucks make another move.

Steve Ott wouldn't be too bad.
Bruins_GM

Post by Bruins_GM »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:Hope somebody takes James Wisniewski off the Jackets. Doubtful, but they have to unload that bum and his contract.
Push comes to shove there's no way he's not a compliance buyout, either this off-season or next.

I'd imagine they'll try to move the LA 1st, Mason and Aucoin first and foremost. From what I've read they want to add without subtraction at this point.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Jackets would be stupid to add anything at the expense of futures. They're not a legitimate playoff team if they manage to sneak in and they're certainly not beating Chicago or Anaheim. They'd have to get to #6 to have a shot and I don't see that happening.

Better off taking advantage of a slow market and selling what they can to get better in the future. With Davidson and Kekalainen, they're far better equipped for drafting and scouting than ever before.

Sell, sell, sell.
Adam Burke
Commish Bub(NYR)

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:Jackets would be stupid to add anything at the expense of futures. They're not a legitimate playoff team if they manage to sneak in and they're certainly not beating Chicago or Anaheim. They'd have to get to #6 to have a shot and I don't see that happening.

Better off taking advantage of a slow market and selling what they can to get better in the future. With Davidson and Kekalainen, they're far better equipped for drafting and scouting than ever before.

Sell, sell, sell.
Steve Mason to Philly.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Bub(NYR) wrote:
Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:Jackets would be stupid to add anything at the expense of futures. They're not a legitimate playoff team if they manage to sneak in and they're certainly not beating Chicago or Anaheim. They'd have to get to #6 to have a shot and I don't see that happening.

Sell, sell, sell.
Steve Mason to Philly.
And Gaborik to CBJ.

I don't agree with acquiring Gaborik, because they need young talent, but nice to see them in a position to buy.
Adam Burke
Commish Bub(NYR)

Esp since they're sending Brassard, Dorset, and Moore to NYR. Any word on the return for Mason?
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Bub(NYR) wrote:Esp since they're sending Brassard, Dorset, and Moore to NYR. Any word on the return for Mason?
I believe Mason + 3rd for Leighton. If PHI is sending the 3rd to CBJ, I'll laugh my ass off.

Being reported on Twitter now that Roberto Luongo has been called off the ice in Vancouver.
Adam Burke
Commish Bub(NYR)

After 3 now -- reports are that Luongo has NOT been traded.

And I think Philly's sending a pick along with Michael "The Fainting Goat" Leighton.
Montreal Canadiens

Really weird move by the Rangers. They trade Anisimov and Dubinsky was it? For Nash, then trade deadline pop out Gaborik for another package of younger nhl'ers. Odd.
Bruins_GM

Post by Bruins_GM »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:
Bub(NYR) wrote:

Sell, sell, sell.
Steve Mason to Philly.
And Gaborik to CBJ.

I don't agree with acquiring Gaborik, because they need young talent, but nice to see them in a position to buy.
I don't mind it, old man Prospal isn't going to play forever and I don't think there's anyone else over 30 as forwards on the team, save for Umberger (who's going to go).

Return to “The Sports Bar”