Canucks, Coyotes Announce Blockbuster Trade

Moderator: SharksGM

Parker

Canucks, Coyotes Announce Blockbuster Trade

Post by Parker »

VANCOUVER - Roberto Luongo is the newest member of the Phoenix Coyotes, while the Canucks acquire Ilya Bryzgalov along with a king's ransom of draft picks and prospects.

Phoenix and Vancouver have just announced a trade sending a package of Bryzgalov, prospects Joseph Labate and Tyler Hill, Phoenix's first round picks for 2014 and 2015 as well as Boston's first rounder in 2014, for elite goalie Roberto Luongo. The deal appears to be a forward-thinking move for Canucks freshman GM Jason Glubiak, who was hired to spearhead a rebuilding effort on Canada's left coast and is emerging as a creative and shrewd negotiator, while Coyotes GM Glen Ramsden appears to be putting the finishing touches on his efforts to give his team an edge among the extremely competitive upper echelon of the EHEC Western Conference.

Ilya Bryzgalov had backstopped the Coyotes to a Stanley Cup championship in 2011 and won the Jennings trophy last season, but after a disappointing playoff performance he has struggled mightily to produce consistent results this season. Bryzgalov had been drawing the ire of Coyotes fans frustrated with his play since last season's Western Conference Finals Game 7 overtime loss to the Calgary Flames, and his "what, me worry?" attitude has drawn a lot of criticism as a lack of effort and mental focus. The Coyotes Tonight radio show has been inundated with fans calling for backup Thomas Greiss to be given more work, as well as demanding the promotion of WJC hero Matt McNeely who has been enjoying early success with Phoenix's AHL affiliate.

While there's no denying the value Luongo brings to any hockey club, some fans reacted with concern that the price was too high, as three first round picks, two solid prospects, and an immediate roster replacement for Luongo is considered to be a huge return for Vancouver.

One hockey insider mused, "Did Ramsden overpay? Probably. But what's the market price for a goalie like Luongo? Martin Brodeur is the only guy traded in recent years who is comparable in skill, but Brodeur was in decline while Luongo's skills still appear to be top-notch. One thing to consider is that Glubiak probably didn't really want Bryzgalov in trade - I heard he was holding out for either Matt McNeely or Vladislav Kartayev to be included in the package. That's not 100% confirmed - you'd have to ask Glubiak or Ramsden - but it does make sense that a rebuilding team wouldn't consider a 35-year-old goalie with consistency issues to be a signifcant asset. Ramsden probably had to include one of those first round picks just to get Glubiak to take Bryzgalov off his hands without including another asset that Ramsden was even more reluctant to let go. For this deal to work for the Coyotes, Bryzgalov had to be moved or they risk losing him on re-entry waivers and paying half his contract for him to play elsewhere. Given Phoenix's cap situation, if I'm Ramsden I don't feel confident making that trade unless I can guarantee that Bryzgalov's salary is cleared off the books. Giving up three first round picks and two of the team's top five prospects could be a significant blow to an organization's future, but I think the 'Yotes will be alright with the depth they've built up through the 2010 and 2011 drafts."

Roberto Luongo released the following statement through his agent: "I'm going to miss the great city of Vancouver and the Canucks organzation; I've made so many friends there it'll be tough to say goodbye. That said, I understand the position the team is in and I'm excited for the opportunity to join the Coyotes. They've got a great team - they're a contender for the division every year. Their defense blocks a ton of shots and with their physical play any opposing forwards hanging around in front of the net are asking for trouble. What goalie wouldn't want to play for them?"

Ilya Bryzgalov could not be reached for comment.

Return to “Team News”