Trade Deadline

Moderator: SharksGM

Montreal Canadiens

Trade Deadline

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

Roberto Luongo traded to the Panthers.

Man, did the Canucks ever fuck this one up. Schneider & Luongo gone.....wow.
CapsGM

Re: Trade Deadline

Post by CapsGM »

From 7u/Schneider to Lack/Markstrom in six months. Incredible.
GM Office Q

Post by GM Office Q »

TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Solid return for someone the Canucks basically got for nothing, good investment if you ask me.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

A lot of goalies moving around right now. Hope the Canes can find a sucker, I mean a taker, for Ward.
Edmonton Mike

Post by Edmonton Mike »

Buffalo might find it hard to flip Halak over somewhere. I hope they can't find a suiter for him and he leaves in free agency. The Sabres are a mess.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

TorontoGM wrote:Solid return for someone the Canucks basically got for nothing, good investment if you ask me.
A possibly decent #3C and a struggling goalie prospect is a good return?

I mean in isolation you can say it's not so bad since they got rid of Luongo's contract (which Gillis signed in the first place), but pissing away two good starting goalies like that is enough reason to fire Gillis.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

SharksGM wrote:
TorontoGM wrote:Solid return for someone the Canucks basically got for nothing, good investment if you ask me.
A possibly decent #3C and a struggling goalie prospect is a good return?

I mean in isolation you can say it's not so bad since they got rid of Luongo's contract (which Gillis signed in the first place), but pissing away two good starting goalies like that is enough reason to fire Gillis.
A struggling goalie on the FLORIDA PANTHERS.

And when did Bo Horvat become a bust all of a sudden?
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

TorontoGM wrote:A struggling goalie on the FLORIDA PANTHERS.

And when did Bo Horvat become a bust all of a sudden?
Markstrom has an .874 on the Panthers. 39 year-old Tim Thomas has a .907. Markstrom's nothing but a bundle of unrealized potential and there are a dozen other young goalies like him in the league and none of them are worth much of anything.

Did I even say anything about Bo Horvat? He certainly isn't a top 10 goalie in the league like Schneider.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Yet another opinion based on NHL.com stats? You'd fit right in, here in Vancouver. ;)

I've seen Markstrom play quite a bit over the last 3 years, I like him and I think he can do good if the team in front of him plays consistently.
Montreal Canadiens

It's just a huge mistake to trade Luongo after you traded Schneider. If this deal was done at last years deadline I would have said okay fine Schneider is our guy. Not only do you deal Schneider and not get any NHL help in return but now you've dealt 2 A quality goalies and have no NHL help to show for it.

Horrible moves by Gillis. I've been a supporter of him but these last 2 years have been a big question mark. Especially since Toronto offered Scrivens and a draft pick at last year's deadline and you didn't take that deal.....just stupid.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Scrivens? lol give me a break.

What exactly is Gillis suppose to do? Wait a year until the Canucks are in the bottom of the league and then trade him for even less?

Doesn't matter who's in net if the team continues to be shit.
Montreal Canadiens

What he should have done is taken Scrivens and a pick for Luongo and we'd still have Schneider.

Lack is still an unknown to me. He's played a handful of games in the NHL only. Luongo wasn't the problem so why make the trade. Scoring was the problem, if you're gonna trade a top 5 goalie in the league GET SOME DAMN SCORING! 6 games in their last 8 they have scored a goal or less, it's retarded. I blame Tortorella more than Gillis as the forward core has been a group for awhile and use to be one of the highest scoring teams in the league.

Tortorella has taken the scoring away from these guys somehow. Sedins are not shot blockers why turn them into shot blockers. They have what? 40 points? After being career point-per-game players. Now Kesler is apparently on his way out, which, fabulous, trade away your most complete player when you're battling for a playoff spot. Fabulous idea. You're one of the least scoring teams in the league and you're gonna trade your top offensive player. Brilliant.
CapsGM

Post by CapsGM »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:Tortorella has taken the scoring away from these guys somehow.
This is exactly it. Tortorella is the type of coach that tries to make players fit the system he wants to play, rather than build a system around what his best players are suited for. Even with my anti-Canucks bias it's rough seeing Torts misuse the talents of guys like the Sedins and Edler.

moral victories tho
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

This deadline seems to be making up for the last couple. Callahan-St. Louis deal, Hemsky goes, Luongo yesterday. Figure Gaborik gets dealt today somewhere. Kesler may or may not go. Some big names in play.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Montreal Canadiens

Quite interesting on the St-Louis front, seems the Olympic snub created a lot of drama, Yzerman stepped down as Team Canada head honcho and now trades Marty St.Louis. They got a great return though, Callahan + high draft picks.

I don't see Kesler getting traded.
Montreal Canadiens

No Kesler deal. Vanek & Moulson traded on deadline after being swapped for each other. Not sure why BUF didn't keep Moulson. Young guy that can score.

Gaborik to LA, interesting fit.
Rob Rossi ‏@RobRossi_Trib · 3m
To be clear, #pens feel Vancouver ownership nixed trade that would have sent Kesler to Pittsburgh.
Sounds like a rift between Gillis and the Acquilini's. I heard that the Acquilini's wanted to keep Kesler to try and make the playoffs to make more revenue. Sorry, but there's a fat chance the team makes the playoffs and after years of the playoffs pretty sure revenue is pretty high with the Canucks. Stupid move. This seems similar to the Luongo deal, the longer we hold onto Kesler the less his trade value will become and he'll be traded for a draft pick only in June.
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

VANEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

FUCKING RIGHT BERGEVIN FUCK YESSSSSSSSSSSS WEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Montreal Canadiens

2nd round pick? Good deal for them. MTL always needs scorers and Vanek fits in there nicely.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Kesler - "Good thing I listened to Lou. Said even if I wanted out it wasn't gonna happen." #Canucks

looool
Montreal Canadiens

Yeah he was being funny on twitter, posted a pic of him & Bieksa hugging and said it was the same moment today, good stuff. I'm glad he stayed, he's the heart & soul of the team.
AnaheimGM

Post by AnaheimGM »

What an incredible trade by Bergevin! Vanek is so spectacular!!!!

Go Habs Go!!!!
Edmonton Mike

Post by Edmonton Mike »

So when it's all said and done, Garth Snow traded Matt Moulson + 1st and 2nd round picks for Sebastien Collberg and a 2nd rounder. This guy is clueless.

Didn't think Bergevin would move. What a steal!
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

Garth Snilbury.
Montreal Canadiens

I wonder if Garth himself has clued into that.....lol.

When that deal was made I remember saying how BUF made out like a bandit on that deal, obviously Vanek was rather unhappy in Long Island. He said the MTL offer was far and away better than any he received. Odd. I would have thought someone would have ponied up a 1st rounder for him.
Bruins_GM

Post by Bruins_GM »

I would have been fine with either one of my teams paying the price Ottawa did for Hemsky.

Return to “The Sports Bar”