EHEC Deadline Day Recap

Moderator: SharksGM

Jets GM

EHEC Deadline Day Recap

Post by Jets GM »

In what has become a lackluster event in recent seasons, the EHEC deadline day was surprisingly busy. With a wide open playoff race in the Western Conference, and the top eight seeds most likely decided in the East, there were plenty of buyers and sellers. The EHEC News Timeline will recap and analyze the biggest transactions of the day.

March 4th

To Vancouver: Anton Saveliev and CGY's 2014 4th round pick.
To Calgary: Mike Cammalleri

Things got off to an early start as GMs began to make there move twenty four hours before the deadline. The surging Calgary Flames looked to add more scoring to an already potent lineup and found their main in Cammalleri. While it was known Cammalleri was available, it appears the asking price dropped as the deadline got closer. Once it did, GM Rozon jumped on the chance to add the sniper.

To Edmonton: Jakub Voracek and 2nd DAL 2014
To Tampa Bay: Brad Richards and Alexander Avtsyn

In a move that surprised some, Edmonton Oilers captain Brad Richards was returned to the Tampa Bay Lightning in a multi-player deal. Richards, who was expected to lead Edmonton to a playoff birth, failed to live up to expectations this season. He’ll try to regain the form that saw him lead the Lightning to a Stanley Cup earlier in his career. Edmonton was able to get NHL ready talent in return, with all-around player Jakub Voracek headed to Oil town. Voracek possess many intangibles, such as his fighting and faceoff ability. Time will tell if the Bolts high-price gamble pays off.

To Dallas: Alexander Khokhlachev, CGY's 2016 3rd round pick.
To Calgary: Daniel Sedin

Calgary wasn’t done as one-half of the Sedin Twins was made a Flame prior to deadline day. GM Rozon was out to prove doubters wrong and show offense can win championships. The Dallas Stars, headed by a new controversial GM out of Slovakia, continue to stockpile draft picks and abrasive young players.

March 5th, Afternoon

To Edmonton : Nazem Kadri and 1st round OTT 2014
To Ottawa: Valeri Nichushkin and 1st round WPG 2014

After a couple minor deals took place, Edmonton and Ottawa were the first teams to make a big splash. After remaining relatively quiet to begin his EHEC career, Sens GM Brett made a bold move by moving fan favourite Nazem Kadri for the 6th overall pick in last years EHEC entry draft. Kadri looks to replace the recently departed Brad Richards, and Nichushkin will look to be a core piece of a Sens roster that wasn’t done changing.

To Edmonton: James Neal
To Dallas: Kyle Chipchura, Eric Tangradi, and 2nd round EDM 2015

Everybody has a price, according to Oilers GM Mike, and Edmonton was finally able to meet the asking price for James Neal. One of the better shutdown centers in the league currently, Neal will add some depth to an already potent Edmonton lineup. One might question the motive of the Dallas GM to move a player like Neal, but a growing concern over regression in his skills might of played into the deal. His return was of a solid variety, as all three parts look to be in the Stars long term plans.

March 5th, Evening

To Ottawa: Tomas Filippi, Mark McNulty, and CGY's 2015 2nd round pick
To Calgary: Calle Jarnkrok

As the clock ticked down, teams began to scramble to find that missing piece for their Cup run. Sens GM Brett remained active as he sent young forward Calle Jarnkrok to Calgary in another multi player deal. GM Rozon continued his quest to become one of the most feared offensive juggernauts in EHEC today. While Jarnkrok will certainly fit in with the Flames, it came at a high price. Team favourite Tomas Fillipi is headed to Ottawa, along with a draft pick and Mark McNulty. McNulty projects to be a physical bottom pairing d-men.

To Tampa Bay: Tyler Biggs
To Ottawa: Carter Ashton, 1st TB 2015 and 1st PHX 2015

The last, and possible most controversial, deal of the deadline was one that saw former Bolt Tyler Biggs head back to Tampa Bay. Biggs, who was mired in controversy when first acquired from New Jersey, demanded a high return. Ottawa managed to receive a similar player to Biggs in Carter Ashton, and added to their stockpile of 2015 draft picks with two first round selections. Some GMs cried foul play, most notably Habs GM Brad, but the league determined the Sens GM was acting in the best interest of the club. The Bolts had their missing piece, and Ottawa looks to be building a strong core of young players and draft picks.

Other notable trades:

To LA: Zbynek Michalek and WSH 3rd 2014
To WSH: Pavel Kubina and WSH 4th 2014

To ANA: Barret Jackman and 2nd WPG 2014
To WPG: Kris Russell and 4th ANA 2014

To NYR: Ryan Martindale
To OTT: NJ 2nd and EDM 3rd

To MTL: Sheldon Souray
To FLA: Dan Boyle and MTL 5th 2015

Last edited by Jets GM on Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Most recent file here.
Penguin

Re: EHEC Deadline Day Recap

Post by Penguin »

Good read Biebs.

Tyutin for Dejersey + 2nd was big too.
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Penguin wrote:Good read Biebs.

Tyutin for Dejersey + 2nd was big too.
True, true.
Most recent file here.
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Good stuff, man.
Bruins_GM

Post by Bruins_GM »

Brad Richards, underwhelm in EHEC? Why I never....
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Bruins_GM wrote:Brad Richards, underwhelm in EHEC? Why I never....
I am hoping playing a secondary role, away from top pairing d-units, will spark something. He doesn't have an elite skill set, but he does possess a good all-around game with intangibles.
Most recent file here.
Montreal Canadiens

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

Hey! I traded my captain away....!?
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:Hey! I traded my captain away....!?
Updated. Didn't include the Tyutin deal since it was on the 2nd.
Most recent file here.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

Hey, we made the papers! :lol:
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Good stuff Justin. Really great. Thank you for this.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
Edmonton Mike

Post by Edmonton Mike »

Good job sir!
Montreal Canadiens

The Bolts had their missing piece, and Ottawa looks to be building a strong core of young players and draft picks.
Yeah those guys Ottawa traded were old vets in their retirement homes hey.
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:
The Bolts had their missing piece, and Ottawa looks to be building a strong core of young players and draft picks.
Yeah those guys Ottawa traded were old vets in their retirement homes hey.
Meh, I wasn't a big fan of the Jarnkrok deal. However, Ashton will be a poor mans Biggs and 99 HI players are hard to come by. I still liked our deal for both sides. Nichuskin looks to be pretty sick, and if Ottawa sticks around what will be a challenging EHEC Season 6 they could build a really strong core through the draft. Plus, depending on what they do with their vet's on the backend....could be an interesting offseason for OTT.
Most recent file here.
Montreal Canadiens

arent the draft picks for next years draft? 2015?
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:arent the draft picks for next years draft? 2015?
Yes. If he sticks around past Season 6, he will be able to build a strong core through that draft (Season 6).

Plus, PHX and myself won't be able to afford our current rosters after this season.
Most recent file here.
Montreal Canadiens

Tampa Bay GM wrote:
Yes. If he sticks around past Season 6, he will be able to build a strong core through that draft (Season 6).

Plus, PHX and myself won't be able to afford our current rosters after this season.
oh season 6 gotcha, ive lost track of what # season this is.

Most of my squad will be back next year and cap compliant. Only guy that was leaving for sure was Boyle. Savard needs to pick up his socks if he wants that contract extended ;)
Bruins_GM

Post by Bruins_GM »

Tampa Bay GM wrote:

Return to “Team News”