Ottawa Senators Draft Review

Moderator: SharksGM

Brett-SensGM

Ottawa Senators Draft Review

Post by Brett-SensGM »

Went into the draft with quite a few picks and interest in adding more. As the draft went on I think for every pick I acquired I sent one back out, so much for a plan. In the end though I wanted to gamble on more risk reward types, but other GM's seemed to follow the same school of thought so I ended up with a couple safe picks early to hedge my bets. Plan bascially became to draft guys that could hit, or fill a necessity and I think every pick fell into these two categories. As a side note, pissed off missing out on Jason Cotton (by one pick if I remember correctly).

17. Ottawa Senators (via Los Angeles Kings) -- Yegor Korshkov, RW, Yaroslavl (RUS)
Strengths - Checking and Hitting
Weaknesses - Consistency and Positioning.
Projection - Top 9 defensive forward with 2nd line PK ability.

Korshkov's style will fit in great with the new look Sens. Has nice versitility and will be called on to play the wing for the top 3 forward lines with a spot on the 2nd PK unit. Solid intagibles may have him suiting up in the A next year with a jump to the pros planned for the following year. May not be franchise player material, but will be a very solid core piece going forward.

40. Ottawa Senators (via Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Red Wings) -- Jacob Middleton, D, Ottawa (OHL)
Strengths - Playmaking and Hitting.
Weaknesses - Potential and Shooting.
Projection - 3/4 D man

Didn't have to look beyond the backyard for this pick. Ideal 3/4 D man that can make the pass, while still providing enough defence and ruggedness to protect his own zone. His potential will dictate whether he gets primed for the pros with a year of AHL seasoning or finishes out his junior career down the street for the 67's and toils in the A before a trip overseas to finish out his career.

42. Ottawa Senators -- James Winkler, RW, Portland (USPHL)
Strengths - Hitting and Shooting.
Weaknesses - Consistency and Stickhandling
Projection - Top 9 power forward

Similar skillset to Korshkov, but with more of a shot, and less checking. May always come with a bad attitude and perpetual slumps, but his ability to hit and shoot will may him a very welcome winger on any line. Will be playing out his youth in the USPHL until the age of 20 and his seasoning in the A begins.

49. Ottawa Senators (via New Jersey Devils) -- Eetu Sopanen, D, Pelicans Lahti (FIN)
Strengths - Shooting and Hitting.
Weaknesses - Potential and Skating.
Projection - 3/4 D man with PP2 potential.

Similar to Middleton, but more of a risk, no passing and a big shot. Bit of a swing for the fences, but if the stars align he will be a very solid core D man of the future. Could make a good D partner to Middleton, if all goes accordingly.

72. Ottawa Senators -- David Westlund, D, Brynäs (SWE)
Strengths - Checking and Hitting.
Weaknesses - Potential and Stickhandling
Projection - #2 D man

Of a pretty similar mould to Middleton as well... but with more boom/bust potential. Could quite possible be one of the top 10 D men picked in the draft... or this could be the last time I ever type his name. Has the added bonus of a longshot boost on the farm to become a 5/6 pro D man talent as a secondary perk.

74. Ottawa Senators (via Edmonton Oilers) -- Daniel Moynihan, C, Halifax (QMJHL)
Strengths - Shooting and Faceoffs.
Weaknesses - Potential and Defence in general.
Projection - 3/4 Centre

Deviated a bit from the previous picks as far as traits that the new look Sens were after... but having a team that lacked true centre's this was a pick made out of necessity rather than BPA. Needs to up his potential to make the pro's, if he does, he might be a borderline core piece of the future.

124. Ottawa Senators (via Tampa Bay Lightning, New York Rangers) -- Nikita Tryamkin, D, Yekaterinburg (RUS)
Strengths - Hitting and Strength.
Weaknesses - Shooting and Playmaking.
Projection -5/6 stay at home D man

Was ecstatic to have him still on the board for this pick. Had him on my list in the 3rd round and couldn't believe he fell. Will always be lazy, but can be a great stay at home D man with potential to overtrain. Best part is he is ready to step into the A next year to prep for the pros.

129. Ottawa Senators (via Buffalo Sabres) -- Edwin Minney, G, Michigan State (NCAA)
Strengths - Height and Potential
Weaknesses - Penalty and Consistency
Projection - Pro backup/Farm starter

Another pick born out of necessity... although getting a goalie of his talent at #129 ovr was welcome. Will help keep the team cap down as a homegrown talent and get back up minutes in the pro's by the season after next.

132. Ottawa Senators -- Reid Duke, C, Lethbridge (WHL)
Strengths - Faceoffs and Potential
Weaknesses - Consistency and offence in general
Projection - 4th Line C or 1st Line farm C

Was slim pickings by this point... but down the road he may provide a cap friendly 4th C option if I ever run into cap issues.

162. Ottawa Senators -- Ryan Mantha, D, Indiana (USHL)
Strengths - Playmaking and Positioning
Weaknesses - Shooting and Hitting
Projection - Top farm D man

This was officially where thoughts of drafting a pro talent disappeared. Will eat some major farm minutes... with a longshot chance at a #7 spot.

192. Ottawa Senators -- Brendan Burke, G, Portland (WHL)
Strengths - Name...
Weaknesses - Everything else

Every farm needs a back up... and he just may get a chance to become a real life AHL starter one day... but probably not.

Return to “Team News”