Calgary Flames 2014-2015

Moderator: SharksGM

Calgary.Flames

Calgary Flames 2014-2015

Post by Calgary.Flames »

New season... new team. Let's just say that the last couple years weren't the best of times to buy any players' gear. This will be my 4th season as the Flames' GM and there has been, just like the years before, a number of moves made this off-season.
The "all out attack" tactic from last season did not end up with the results we wanted so a change was needed.

The one thing this team never had was a superstar offensive player. I know, some will say that Phil Kessel, David Krejci, Nikita Filatov and Alex Burmistrov are more than just good players, but as the guy running the show I can assure you that those guys never were gamebreakers. Anyway, this issue has been solved. Twice. Alex Ovechkin and Rick Nash are probably the 2 best wingers in EHEC so there's nothing to worry about here, our 1st line is obviously going to be one of EHEC's top line this upcoming season regardless of who gets to slot in between those two.

More character guys were brought in too. Dustin Jeffrey, a tremendous playmaker with grit and Jared Boll, one of EHEC's best pugilist with playmaking skills too, were added to the mix in a trade for former sniper, MPS.

I was very active during this year's Free Agency signing a lot of players on long term deals. We figured that some of those guys that were available to us would have a good value going forward and that's why those deals were handed out. Guys like Riley Sheahan, Sergei Barbashev and Mark McNeill are young players with upsides and I feel like they were worth every penny that was handed out to them. In a sign-and-trade move we also brought in Peter Holland (vs Noesen and Friberg) who's a two-way player with superb faceoffs abilities.

Our defensive core took a hit when Dion Phaneuf was dealt to the Red Wings for AO8. Niedermayer's going to retire after this season so this means the team will be without both of their top pairing guys in a year from now. I have another year to figure out whether or not Dan Hamhuis, Andrej Meszaros, Rusty Klesla and Ian Cole can be a reliable top 4. If not, adjustements are going to be made.

Returning from a season-ending injury is Brian Boyle. I think he has the tools and the surroundings for a great season. I have high hopes for this guy. I'm thinking something like 25-35-60... yeah that'd be great.

Recently brought in for his offensive upside and ability to play the dot is Jaden Schwartz. He's going to have a chance to prove his worth playing on my top line. This means that Sam Gagner, can help the young kids on another offensive line. He might not get the most 5vs5 ice time, but he will once again be the go to guy during special teams.

All in all, I feel like there's a good balance in this year's team. We have guys to provide offense, guys to defend, guys with great character and a solid blue line.

Projected opening night lineup:

Ovechkin - Schwartz - Nash
Boyle - Jeffrey - Lapierre(Matthias)
Boll(Sheahan) - Holland - McNeill
Alshevsky - Gagner - Barbashev

Klesla - Niedermayer
Meszaros - Hamhuis
Cole - Sauer

DiPietro

Healthy scratches: Bruno Gervais and someone forward from our farm team.
Injuries: Shawn Matthias and Riley Sheahan
Buffalo LEPS

Re: Calgary Flames 2014-2015

Post by Buffalo LEPS »

Can't wait to meet you bro 8-)

Return to “Team News”