25 Percent!

Moderator: SharksGM

Commish Bub(NYR)

25 Percent!

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

Or something. Since everyone (but those slackers in FLA) has now played at least 20 games, we can consider ourselves 1/4 of the way through the season. So I ask you all, what are the biggest surprises to you in the league so far? Good, bad, ugly, it doesn't matter. Even you newbies, who know nothing of the wars of seasons past, feel free to weigh in.

I'll start: The Rangers are my biggest surprise. 14 wins in 21 games? That's half as many games as I thought we might end up winning all season. I guess Paul Martin is a magician. And I also am waiting with half-closed eyes at what disasters EHM will throw at me in January.

Second: San Jose's struggles. Vasilevski's looking better all the time.
Jets GM

Re: 25 Percent!

Post by Jets GM »

I was about to write about how surprised I was that simming weekly hasn't been to much of a burden; however, that was before I spent the 5 minutes looking for something I saved for school in my EHM directory. :lol:

Since Bub already pooped on Dan's start, I'll be positive and give props to Dallas. Martin has taken advantage of being in a weak division and looks to be on his way to a play-off birth. With all the former GMs that came in, destroyed the Stars roster, and left shortly after, Martin sure has made the most of what he was given. Honourable mention to Anaheim and Scott Gomez, losing Hank would of ended most team's post-season hopes but the Ducks just keep on ticking.

Overall, a great start with lot's of parity between all the teams. Keep it going boys!
Most recent file here.
Bruins_GM

Post by Bruins_GM »

There's too much parity. I'd like to get back to kicking the shit out of the East any game now.

In all seriousness, this has to be the most competitive the league has been.
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Bruins_GM wrote:There's too much parity. I'd like to get back to kicking the shit out of the East any game now.

In all seriousness, this has to be the most competitive the league has been.
QFT
Most recent file here.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

The Sharks leading the league is a surprise to me. I assume GP stands for goals produced or something?
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

No surprises in Toronto.
Dallas Stars GM

Post by Dallas Stars GM »

I'll be positive and give props to Dallas. Martin has taken advantage of being in a weak division and looks to be on his way to a play-off birth. With all the former GMs that came in, destroyed the Stars roster, and left shortly after, Martin sure has made the most of what he was given.
Thanks for kind words. ;)
STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2020, 2022
BlackHawk Down (Seb)

Post by BlackHawk Down (Seb) »

Ottawa, not a surprise, but incredible start. What about LA and their streak !!!
Nero Avalanche

Post by Nero Avalanche »

Colorado sucks just as expected.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Tampa Bay GM wrote:Since Bub already pooped on Dan's start...
Yeah, it's hard to say something negative without sounding like you're saying "what a shitty GM you are!" :lol:

Anyway, lots of surprise teams, really. I'm guessing a number of teams are going to experience that wondrous EHM-shits-on-you-in-January feeling. (Three seasons ago I went into January top 5 in the league; then went 1-12 that month and never recovered.)
MartyFromOTTAWA

Post by MartyFromOTTAWA »

BlackHawk Down (Seb) wrote:Ottawa, not a surprise, but incredible start. What about LA and their streak !!!
Thanks but don't worry, this won't last. I mean, it is EHM ;)
Commish Bub(NYR)

Two months in and what do we know? There's still a long way to go before all is said and done, but right now it's hard to remember a time when the points standings were this close, even well past the 8th spot in each conference.

EAST CONFERENCE
The Rangers and Senators are 1-2 in the conference? Go on, pull the other one!

For the Rangers, tighter defense and (vastly) improved special teams play appear to be the reasons why this season has gotten off to such a fast start. The late-camp signing of vet Patrik Elias did much to reinvigorate the attack, as he has been a major upgrade over last season's #1 LW, Tom Kuehnhackl. A nifty 6-1-2 road record hasn't hurt either. Time will tell if they can keep it up.

For Ottawa, new management has revitalized the team and the fan base in the capital city. One of the league's toughest teams is paced by a large and hard-hitting defense, currently the league's stingiest. The Sens are also the league's last remaining undefeated squad at home.

Elsewhere, you could talk about Buffalo's amazing start, Tampa's high octane offense, or Columbus' recent 11-game unbeaten streak. It would be easy to overlook the Penguins, waddling under the radar at the moment. Ditto Boston, having another quietly strong start. What will be interesting to see is what quality teams will miss out on the post-season: New Jersey and Carolina right now top that list, but again...it's way too early to count anyone out.

WEST CONFERENCE
The Kings have cooled off after their 11-0 run to start the season, but still sit atop the Western standings. GM Hugo St. Jean took some heat for his off-season moves, but so far he's shown he has a deft hand at managing this squad.

But Calgary, Arizona, Anaheim, and Edmonton are hot on LA's heels, and combine to make this the toughest division in hockey. Calgary appears to have a more balanced squad than the one that went out in the second round of the playoffs last year; Arizona's deep system keeps producing wins--will they win it all with Luongo this year?; Anaheim is giving up more goals than they may like, but they're showing last season's run to the conference finals was no fluke; while Edmonton hopes to not miss the playoffs with a winning record this year. And whither San Jose? If the Sharks can get their goaltending and special teams issues ironed out, they'll be a team to watch.

The Central Division standings may not look the prettiest, but this is still a competitive race, that figures to be as tight as any other race all season long. No surprise that Winnipeg leads the way, but don't miss the story of the Dallas Stars. A franchise that hasn't sniffed the playoffs since 2011 appears to be on the rise again. Chicago has been wheeling and dealing in recent weeks in an effort to find the right roster combinations. Once that lineup stabilizes, it's hard to see how they won't ride their stars to a playoff spot.

Last year's Cup finalists, St. Louis, are still struggling to find the success they enjoyed last season. But with three quality wins--over CBJ, OTT, and EDM--in their last four games, might GM Binkle have settled on the right formula? And while the numbers for Nashville and Colorado may not look pretty, in this division they're only a few wins away from keeping up with the rest of the pack.

My standings for the Cup Favorite, top five:
1. Pittsburgh -- two-time defending champ still gets all the love
2. Calgary -- deep, balanced team; will go as far as their goaltending takes them
3. Los Angeles -- nice mix of vets and youngsters
4. Ottawa -- surprise! until they start losing, I'll give them props
5. Tampa Bay -- Bishop has to play better than this, right?

Best o' the rest: Arizona, Boston, Washington
BlackHawk Down (Seb)

Love the analysis
MartyFromOTTAWA

Post by MartyFromOTTAWA »

Great read Bub, 'grats.
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Good read, and surprised to see myself as a Cup favourite.
Most recent file here.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Tampa Bay GM wrote:Good read, and surprised to see myself as a Cup favourite.
You need a strong starting goalie like Jonathan Bernier to give you a chance.
Singin the BLUES

Post by Singin the BLUES »

Very good write up.....and the Blues WILL be back in the playoffs this year....book it
Buffalo LEPS

Post by Buffalo LEPS »

Good stuff... more more more !

P.S. You'll get all... Buffaloed :twisted:
Josh-EDM

Post by Josh-EDM »

Gonna look pretty silly not having Edmonton mentioned anywhere.
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

3 peat in Pittsburgh boys its coming! Off-season will be rough to sign all the guys back though...

Chicago is my pick as most improved team, watch out in the West!
BlackHawk Down (Seb)

Thanks !
I'll try to give it a shot until late in June. The Pacific division has tough customers !
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

BlackHawk Down (Seb) wrote:Thanks !
I'll try to give it a shot until late in June. The Pacific division has tough customers !
Whatever you're sellin', I ain't buyin'.
Singin the BLUES

Post by Singin the BLUES »

Return to “Team News”