Summer 2016

Moderator: SharksGM

Calgary.Flames

Summer 2016

Post by Calgary.Flames »

I've had lots of people ask me when things start moving again.

We're talking about some tweaks to some of the rules and once that is done, we'll post about it and we'll also re-open trading again so that you junkyard dogs can blow our minds with countless trades!

It won't be too long.

:lol:
Dallas Stars GM

Re: Summer 2016

Post by Dallas Stars GM »

... you junkyard dogs - blow our minds with countless trades!
xDDDDDDDDD :lol: ROFL (:
STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2020, 2022
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

Announcements forthcoming soon.

Will concern:
salary cap...RFA process...player releases and buyouts...goalie arbitrations...rights trade arbitrations. I think that's all.

I'm actually fine with anyone posting trades now; we won't rule on anything until the rule changes are posted, so before that you'd be able to cancel a deal. Although you'll look like a schmuck for doing so. I know I'd be leery of making major deals without knowing fully what changes to the cap and contract process are coming.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Commish Bub(NYR) wrote:Announcements forthcoming soon.
Define soon.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Soon!

We can tell you this:
...salary cap will go to 70M
...RFA system will be overhauled, with an eye to eliminating RFAs altogether
...goalie arbs will be removed, and a new system for goalie free agency and contracts
...rights trades will stay, but salaries will no longer be done via arbitration
...new rules for UFA contract length, to eliminate the "minimum salary/max contract length" foolishness
...alteration of player releases and buyouts

Hopefully, we'll have all this in place and up tomorrow. And as I said before, any pending trades can be reworked or withdrawn if the new rules change your thinking for the off-season.

Also, the DRAFT. I'd like to start it on Saturday at noon eastern time. Friday afternoon/evening just doesn't work for me, and I suspect for a large number of people who would rather be out and about then.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Commish Bub(NYR) wrote:Also, the DRAFT. I'd like to start it on Saturday at noon eastern time. Friday afternoon/evening just doesn't work for me, and I suspect for a large number of people who would rather be out and about then.
Are the prospects set in stone now?
Flyin High Jets

Post by Flyin High Jets »

Commish Bub(NYR) wrote:Soon!

We can tell you this:
...salary cap will go to 70M
...RFA system will be overhauled, with an eye to eliminating RFAs altogether
...goalie arbs will be removed, and a new system for goalie free agency and contracts
...rights trades will stay, but salaries will no longer be done via arbitration
...new rules for UFA contract length, to eliminate the "minimum salary/max contract length" foolishness
...alteration of player releases and buyouts

Hopefully, we'll have all this in place and up tomorrow. And as I said before, any pending trades can be reworked or withdrawn if the new rules change your thinking for the off-season.

Also, the DRAFT. I'd like to start it on Saturday at noon eastern time. Friday afternoon/evening just doesn't work for me, and I suspect for a large number of people who would rather be out and about then.
How much was the CAP this year?
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

68 M
Most recent file here.
Bruins_GM

Post by Bruins_GM »

I'd like to wait until after the weekend.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Yes, prospects are set. I was thinking about adding a couple more, but I don't have time and we have enough draftees anyway.

As for waiting past the weekend, I'd only do it if that's the majority opinion here. We've pretty much always started on a Friday or a Saturday, yes? I'd like to continue that.
flyergp21

Post by flyergp21 »

Start it now!! :D
Dallas Stars GM

Start it asap :)
Flyin High Jets

Post by Flyin High Jets »

How long do you get to make a pick?
Commish Bub(NYR)

Flyin High Jets wrote:How long do you get to make a pick?
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=5895

I cannot stress enough that GMs should send lists to league staff if they think they'll be away for a while. We've been able to move things along pretty quickly the past 2 years by getting guys to do this.
AP21 (ARZ)

Post by AP21 (ARZ) »

I'm also in favor of starting the draft as soon as possible.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

I don't care when the draft starts so long as we know the updated rules before it gets going.
Dallas Stars GM

I don't care when the draft starts so long as we know the updated rules before it gets going.
Yes, I would appreciate it too.
Panther

Post by Panther »

Dallas Stars GM wrote:
Yes, I would appreciate it too.
I second-second this, as I am new to the signings and if rules change, there's no point in studying the current system (if that in fact changes for my players, I have no idea). And it goes without saying any incoming or outgoing movement will affect my draft strategy.
Just my 2 cents.
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

IT'S COMING...
Commish Bub(NYR)

Guys, we're still nailing down language and getting it all straight. New rules will be up on the website tomorrow morning. Thanks for your patience, even if it's being tested right now.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Didn't want to start a new thread so sticking this here. While browsing the game, happened to notice a player on an ELC signed to an amount that can't be given on an ELC. So decided to check and see if this was at all common. Turns out, more common than it ought to be. Since the game doesn't allow you to offer any amount you want, I assume these are players signed through the game that simmers forgot to adjust to the correct amount after they signed.

Should be $1.75M
Vladislav Kamenev (ANA)
Alex Peters (ANA)
Mathew Barzal (ANA)
Shane Eiserman (CAR)
Jonathan-Ismael Darby (CAR)
Thomas Wilson (CAR)
Nikolaj Ehlers (COL)
Samuel Morin (COL)
Conner Bleackley (DAL)
Alex Nedeljkovic (EDM)
Jared Hauf (MIN)
Anton Karlsson (NYI)
Shea Theodore (NYR)
Jacob Middleton (OTT)(assuming he was a POT booster)
Tanner Pearson (PHI)
Nikolay Goldobin (S.J)

Should be $1.25M
Adam Erne (CBJ)
Kevin Fiala (CBJ)
Madison Bowey (BUF)
Bodgan Yakimov (CGY)(is actually being overpaid)
Thatcher Demko (COL)
Michael Morrison (EDM)
Victor Rask (PHI)
Vyacheslav Osnovin (STL)
Matthew Finn (VAN)

Can't vouch that everyone else is at the right amount, these are just the guys I noticed from looking for numbers that shouldn't be possible to have. Some are RFAs but should be adjusted so that they're not signed to slight discounts on their next deal as well.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Ok, guys, now that we're in the sixth round and most GMs are wanting to autodraft, things should wrap up pretty quickly. So a few things as we move through the summer:

1. Go ahead and start posting your contract offers. Make sure it matches the salary calculator, and add the salary bonus if you're signing a guy long-term. Remember no options, no signing bonus, and no two-way clauses.

2. Check your list in the 2016 Options thread. There are still some teams that haven't responded yet.

3. We'll review any pending trades we haven't done yet over the next few days.

I'm hoping we can start the free agent nonsense sometime next week. Thanks to everyone for keeping the draft going.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Okay, now that the draft is complete, we're going to start moving forward again soon.

I want to take a breath before I start looking at contracts and advancing the file. Plus, I need to enter in all the draftees. Once they're in, and we get all the trades approved/rejected and entered, I'll post a new file, and we'll start free agency soon thereafter. I want to make sure people know who's going UFA and that we don't have any unfortunate occurrences with free agency again this year. (See: Ales Hemsky from...2013 I think?)
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Any chance we can get a pre-draft file with all the already proved deals in? Understandable if you wanna do it all in one shot, just don't like having to check through all the trade threads to see if a team still has an asset I'm interested in or not.

Also, are there going to be rewards for draft recaps again?
Commish Bub(NYR)

Vik (Habs) wrote:Any chance we can get a pre-draft file with all the already proved deals in? Understandable if you wanna do it all in one shot, just don't like having to check through all the trade threads to see if a team still has an asset I'm interested in or not.

Also, are there going to be rewards for draft recaps again?
Sure, I can go ahead and enter all the 2016 draft-related trades and then re-up the file.

Yes, there will be something, so start scribbling.
Commish Bub(NYR)

All trades have now been inputted, excepting any trades involving 2016 draftees (I think there are three of them). I will officially approve and move over all trades tomorrow. I will also enter in all the draftees, so we'll be caught up on who has who.

I tried to catch all the con drops, but if you see one I missed, just post it here.

League file here: http://www.ehechockey.com/ehec.zip
MartyFromOTTAWA

Post by MartyFromOTTAWA »

Commish Bub(NYR) wrote: I tried to catch all the con drops, but if you see one I missed, just post it here.
#Vik
Commish Bub(NYR)

Probably not too important, but according to EHM the following (unsigned) players are about to go UFA unless they get contracts asap. Here you go:

Derek Stepan (BUF)
Brendan Leipsic (EDM)
Matt Tompkins (EDM)
Matia Marcantuoni (MIN)
Brady Vail (MIN)
Jake Paterson (MIN)
Christopher Lalancette (VAN)
Commish Bub(NYR)

Game has been advanced to just past the draft. Draftees have been entered. Staff contracts have been entered. I have not entered in any player contracts yet.

Make sure you're taking a look at your TO/PO, and check to make sure all your staff contracts got entered.

League file here: http://www.ehechockey.com/ehec.zip
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Commish Bub(NYR) wrote:...and check to make sure all your staff contracts got entered.
Haven't checked everything out yet but, before I forget, a reminder that re-signing farm staff results in them being promoted to your pro team so, if you signed any AHL staffers and want to keep them down, you'll probably have to demote them.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

The three trades left haven't been entered but have they been approved?

Also, did you forget Ben Bishop or are you doing that at a later date? No worries if you forgot. 8-)
Commish Bub(NYR)

TorontoGM wrote:The three trades left haven't been entered but have they been approved?

Also, did you forget Ben Bishop or are you doing that at a later date? No worries if you forgot. 8-)
Forget? Me? Never. :)
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Only issue I found with the draft was Kenneth Johnson. You've got him as the 53rd pick but he was actually 50th which would put him in a higher ELC bracket. I'd adjust it to 48 since no one is currently listed as the 48th overall pick.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Vik (Habs) wrote:Only issue I found with the draft was Kenneth Johnson. You've got him as the 53rd pick but he was actually 50th which would put him in a higher ELC bracket. I'd adjust it to 48 since no one is currently listed as the 48th overall pick.
Ah, thanks. I had to adjust a number of draft picks to get them into the right brackets, but I didn't worry about changing others (who didn't change brackets).
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

I have two 7th rounders (Vala and Joseph).
Most recent file here.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Vik (Habs) wrote:Didn't want to start a new thread so sticking this here. While browsing the game, happened to notice a player on an ELC signed to an amount that can't be given on an ELC. So decided to check and see if this was at all common. Turns out, more common than it ought to be. Since the game doesn't allow you to offer any amount you want, I assume these are players signed through the game that simmers forgot to adjust to the correct amount after they signed.

Should be $1.75M
Vladislav Kamenev (ANA)
Alex Peters (ANA)
Mathew Barzal (ANA)
Shane Eiserman (CAR)
Jonathan-Ismael Diaby (CAR)
Thomas Wilson (CAR)
Nikolaj Ehlers (COL)
Samuel Morin (COL)
Conner Bleackley (DAL)
Alex Nedeljkovic (EDM)
Jared Hauf (MIN)
Anton Karlsson (NYI)
Shea Theodore (NYR)
Jacob Middleton (OTT)(assuming he was a POT booster)
Tanner Pearson (PHI)
Nikolay Goldobin (S.J)

Should be $1.25M
Adam Erne (CBJ)
Kevin Fiala (CBJ)
Madison Bowey (BUF)
Bodgan Yakimov (CGY)(is actually being overpaid)
Thatcher Demko (COL)
Michael Morrison (EDM)
Victor Rask (PHI)
Vyacheslav Osnovin (STL)
Matthew Finn (VAN)

Can't vouch that everyone else is at the right amount, these are just the guys I noticed from looking for numbers that shouldn't be possible to have. Some are RFAs but should be adjusted so that they're not signed to slight discounts on their next deal as well.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Yes yes I'm getting to this. Plus retirements. It's coming, folks. Free agency will be upon us shortly. More to come soon.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Commish Bub(NYR) wrote:Yes yes I'm getting to this...
Just went through and it won't affect any salaries done using the calculator for current RFAs (though it could still affect those that are being qualified with the intention of getting them at 1.1*their previous salary).
Commish Bub(NYR)

Entered. Player file updated.
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Commish Bub(NYR) wrote:Free agency will be upon us shortly. More to come soon.
:!: :!: :mrgreen:
Most recent file here.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Vik (Habs) wrote:Just went through and it won't affect any salaries done using the calculator for current RFAs (though it could still affect those that are being qualified with the intention of getting them at 1.1*their previous salary).
Correction: Adam Erne's salary goes up to $2.4M (from $2.35M).
Commish Bub(NYR)

Vik (Habs) wrote:
Vik (Habs) wrote:Just went through and it won't affect any salaries done using the calculator for current RFAs (though it could still affect those that are being qualified with the intention of getting them at 1.1*their previous salary).
Correction: Adam Erne's salary goes up to $2.4M (from $2.35M).
#financialruin
Commish Bub(NYR)

Ok, THREE announcements:

1. I'm going to update the rules pages to fully reflect the changes for 2016-17. Some have been done, but not all. We'll continue to work on consolidating the rules in one forum, then get them into a new, revised PDF and up at the link at the top of the page. Until then, keep consulting the Rulebook Topics threads in this forum.

2. There's been a re-working of the RFA process. Please consult the rules and proceed from there. Essentially it boils down to this: players who are RFA once free agency starts can be offered contracts by other GMS above the calculator salary; starting Sept. 1, offers must be at least 120% of the player's current listed salary; and on Sept. 15, all RFA without offer sheets get signed by their "owning" team. [EDITED my mistake] There are more details about contract lengths and amounts, so read the section carefully. In light of this late rule change, any GM who has made qualifying offers to his players can make changes to those offers (as you can with any offers that have not been entered into the file) before we go to free agency. Which brings me to....

3. FREE AGENT FRENZY will begin at 8:00 AM (Eastern time, US) on Monday, August 1st. I will begin entering all posted contract offers and etc into the file tomorrow (Friday), and get an updated file posted to the boards ASAP. This updated file will be past the roll-over, so anyone without an offer will become a free agent. DON'T MISS OUT.

Thanks for everyone's patience.
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Please guys, if you have any questions regarding anything here, don't hesitate.
We have guys from all over the world here so we understand that this might be clear for some but not completely to the others.

Even I have a hard time understanding sometimes and I keep asking my fellow committee members for examples and whatnot. I know they must think I'm a dummy, but who cares? Have you seen my D-squad? :o :shock: :lol:

UFA Frenzy is always a lot of fun and I'm hoping our new RFA rules will only add to that.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

So if you have a player at 700k, people can only offer him 840k for 1 year but they can offer him 850k for 2 years?
VancouverCanucksGM

Post by VancouverCanucksGM »

Have the ELC CON boosters been signed yet?
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

The following teams haven't made offers to their free agents:
Carolina - someone want to wake up Dave?
Winnipeg - MIA
Edmonton - discussed in offers thread
Pittsburgh
St. Louis
Vancouver - sent him a PM for it
Washington
Commish Bub(NYR)

VancouverCanucksGM wrote:Have the ELC CON boosters been signed yet?
No. I'm going to do all signings at once, so I don't have to go through all the teams multiple times. I'll post who gets a boost when I do.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Vik (Habs) wrote:The following teams haven't made offers to their free agents:
Carolina - someone want to wake up Dave?
Winnipeg - MIA
Edmonton - discussed in offers thread
Pittsburgh
St. Louis
Vancouver - sent him a PM for it
Washington
CAR has been contacted
WPG is probably gone; working on replacement right now
EDM is here
PIT is here, but hasn't posted offers; Martin or Lubos, can you contact him?
others....???
MartyFromOTTAWA

Post by MartyFromOTTAWA »

Vik (Habs) wrote:So if you have a player at 700k, people can only offer him 840k for 1 year but they can offer him 850k for 2 years?
From the 1st of September (in-game), yes.

Return to “League Memos”