Rule Changes for 2016-17

Moderator: SharksGM

Commish Bub(NYR)

Rule Changes for 2016-17

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

Here you go guys. I'm sure there will be details to work out, and constructive criticism and comments are always welcome.

1. Salary cap will be 70M. Floor will be 52.5M. League minimum player salary will be 700K.

2. RFAs are being changed. Current RFAs can receive offer sheets for their calculator worth until the post-draft rollover. After that, they can be made offers at a 10% increase of their listed salary, for a one-year deal. Salaries below 700K will be adjusted to that number. Matching offers will be determined by a random draw. RFAs can be traded like rights trades. Note that these offered salaries are the minimum; you are free to offer more, of course, just like bidding for UFAs, but you may pay more in compensation.

3. Rights trades can still be made (and are encouraged), however new salaries will be determined using the calculator. There will be no more arbitrations for rights trades.

4. UFAs will now have a bracket system for length of contract, as follows:
...offers from 700K to 1M = 1-2 years
...offers over 1M to 3M = 1-3 years
...offers over 3M to 5M = 1-5 years
...offers over 5M = 1=7 years

Offers which exceed this bracket in terms of contract length will be subject to the 10% per year increase that currently applies to long-term contracts for players coming off of their ELC (so-called "bridge contracts").

5. Buyouts and player releases are being revised. Up to the "game rollover" (which happens post-draft; you will be notified on the boards of this), buyouts and releases will be handled under current rules. After that point, releases for players making over 1M will be handled like buyouts, and a penalty of a percentage of the player's salary will be applied to the team's overall salary. In addition, no player currently "under buyout" (ie, with a buyout percentage applied to your cap) can be re-signed by that team. Example: NYR releases in December 2016 a player under a 2-year deal. I suffer a percentage penalty of his salary applied to my cap, plus I cannot re-sign this player for the 16-17 or 17-18 seasons. Any other GM can make this player an offer under regular free agent rules.

6. We will no longer have goalie arbitrations. (No more arbitrations at all, you may have noticed.) Instead, the following brackets will be used to determine goalie salaries, based on POT and CON.

Code: Select all

POT	$	CON	$
69-	0.7	69-	-0.1
70	1	70	0
71	1.2	71	0.1
72	1.4	72	0.2
73	1.6	73	0.3
74	1.8	74	0.4
75	2	75	0.5
76	2.2	76	0.6
77	2.4	77	0.7
78	2.6	78	0.8
79	2.8	79	0.9
80	3	80	1
81	3.2	81	1.1
82	3.4	82	1.2
83	3.6	83	1.3
84	3.8	84	1.4
85	4	85	1.5
86	4.2	86	1.6
87	4.6	87	1.7
88	5	88	1.8
89	5.5	89	1.9
90	6	90	2
91+	6.5	91+	2.2
Salary number above are in millions of dollars. Note also that the salary "penalty" of -100K for lower cons will go up for every con value below 70, to a maximum of 1M. So a goalie with a con of 65 will have 500K taken from his pot salary base, while a goalie with a con of 60 or lower will have 1M taken from his salary base. The reverse does not apply to high pots and cons, at the other end of the table.

7. The day before the start of the regular season, there will be a "waiver day." Every player age 24-and-over that you a) have on your training camp roster and wish to send to the farm, or b) have on your farm team during training camp, will be subject to waivers. This will not apply to players on their ELC.
flyergp21

Re: Rule Changes for 2016-17

Post by flyergp21 »

Really nice improvements, especially the goalie system.

Nice work guys. :)
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Will teams own pending UFA's be subject to the calculator for extensions or arb?
Most recent file here.
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Tampa Bay GM wrote:Will teams own pending UFA's be subject to the calculator for extensions or arb?
Calculator, no changes there.

We're getting of any kind of arbitration. That word alone was getting scary to us so I'm asking people not to use it anymore. :lol:
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

It was announced before but I'm saying it again; a modifier for greed will be set in the online calculator whenever Dan gets to it. In the meantime, he probably can let you know exactly how it'll affect the salaries but it's not something that'll leave you in tears if you own a couple 120+ greed players, that much I can say.
Dallas Stars GM

Post by Dallas Stars GM »

Hmm, to make it clear. (for me)
What salary will, for example, Ivan Bocharov ask for?
He is 82 POT and 54 CON goalie.
STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2020, 2022
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Dallas Stars GM wrote:Hmm, to make it clear. (for me)
What salary will, for example, Ivan Bocharov ask for?
He is 82 POT and 54 CON goalie.
82 POT : $3,400,000
54 CON : $-1,000,000

Salary asked: 2,400,000
Dallas Stars GM

Thanks Julien.
One more to go, if you pardon me ... xD

Bocharov is now 20 yrs old, so he can be demoted anytime until he's 24
and his salary will not count to salary cap as long as he's down in Texas (AHL).
Right?
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Dallas Stars GM wrote:

Thanks Julien.
One more to go, if you pardon me ... xD

Bocharov is now 20 yrs old, so he can be demoted anytime until he's 24
and his salary will not count to salary cap as long as he's down in Texas (AHL).
Right?
Right.
Dallas Stars GM

Thank you again. :)
I like the new rules.
Commish Bub(NYR)

One change (pretty big) to #4. Due to a misunderstanding between me and Julien (personally I think his French to English translator was broken ;) ).

What the intent is, if the calculator (or your free agent offer) says a player's new salary is for, say, 1.5M, you can offer him a contract with a term of 1 to 3 years. If you want to offer him a 4 or 5 year deal, then you must offer him at least 3M; a 6 or 7 year deal, then you must offer him at least 5M.

I'll change the language to reflect that.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Plus, any trades not yet ruled on can be altered, now that the rules changes are out.

Also, how do guys feel about the draft: Saturday or Sunday? Do you want an extra day to make trades, or should we go ahead and start on Saturday anyway?
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

I'm fine either way.
flyergp21

Post by flyergp21 »

Forget saturday. START NOW!
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Commish Bub(NYR) wrote:2. RFAs are being changed. Current RFAs can receive offer sheets for their calculator worth until the post-draft rollover. After that, they can be made offers at a 10% increase of their listed salary, for a one-year deal. Salaries below 700K will be adjusted to that number. Matching offers will be determined by a random draw. RFAs can be traded like rights trades. Note that these offered salaries are the minimum; you are free to offer more, of course, just like bidding for UFAs, but you may pay more in compensation.
Little confused by this, is it just for offer sheets or is it for all RFA offers? And is this to say you can't offer sheet anyone for less than what the contract calculator says? And if you wait until after the rollover it can only be a one year deal? And we're able to offer sheet guys before we get to the whole free agent frenzy now? And why, if you wait longer, would you have to offer the RFA more money?
Commish Bub(NYR) wrote:4. UFAs will now have a bracket system for length of contract, as follows:
But RFAs can still be offered any number of years (outside of coming off ELC), yes?
Commish Bub(NYR) wrote:7. The day before the start of the regular season, there will be a "waiver day." Every player age 24-and-over that you a) have on your training camp roster and wish to send to the farm, or b) have on your farm team during training camp, will be subject to waivers. This will not apply to players on their ELC.
Just a minor quibble with the wording here, I'm assuming we won't have to expose every player that's 24+ to waivers, we just have to if we intend to put them on the farm.
Dallas Stars GM

"Sunday always comes too late.
But Friday never hesitate."

Yeah. Even Robert Smith knows it - start NOW xP
Or at least, as soon as possible.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Vik (Habs) wrote:
Commish Bub(NYR) wrote:7. The day before the start of the regular season, there will be a "waiver day." Every player age 24-and-over that you a) have on your training camp roster and wish to send to the farm, or b) have on your farm team during training camp, will be subject to waivers. This will not apply to players on their ELC.
Just a minor quibble with the wording here, I'm assuming we won't have to expose every player that's 24+ to waivers, we just have to if we intend to put them on the farm.
Apparently my reading skills aren't so good. It says right there "wish to send to the farm". In my defense I didn't sleep much last night (probably too much fretting about potential rule changes :lol: ).
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Vik (Habs) wrote:But RFAs can still be offered any number of years (outside of coming off ELC), yes?
Yes, but you won't be able to have a 3.2/7 anymore.
Take Calgary's Bogdan Yakimov for example. He will ask about 2.2M and is coming off an ELC.
2.2M qualifies for an offer between 1 and 3 years.

We have the "bridge contract" rule too saying you add 10% for an additional year beyond the 4th.
That won't matter for a guy like him. I can't give him 130% of 2.2M for a 7 year deal anymore because in an offer must be at least 5M for it to be 7 years.
The bridge contract will serve more in the cases of high end guys coming off an ELC. MacKinnon for example.
He'll ask for more than 5M so he automatically qualifies for a 7 year offer but the 130% would then apply to him so he doesn't go as cheap on a long term deal.

-Determine the salary.
-See if the chart allows that kind of deal.
Vik (Habs) wrote:Just a minor quibble with the wording here, I'm assuming we won't have to expose every player that's 24+ to waivers, we just have to if we intend to put them on the farm.
Correct. You will no longer be able to keep Matthias in the AHL though. :lol:
Vik (Habs) wrote:Little confused by this, is it just for offer sheets or is it for all RFA offers? And is this to say you can't offer sheet anyone for less than what the contract calculator says? And if you wait until after the rollover it can only be a one year deal? And we're able to offer sheet guys before we get to the whole free agent frenzy now? And why, if you wait longer, would you have to offer the RFA more money?
When we'll be re-signing guys, if you decide not to sign an RFA to what the calculator says you will still own his rights but the player will now be open to offer sheets from other team. For a certain amount of time, the offer sheets must be for what the calculator says, with the adjustments needed for long term deals whether it's from bridge contracts or to fit the new chart, just like the owner would have had to offer in the first place.
If the player is still not signed after that amount of time then the offer sheets must be at least a 10% increase over last salary and it will be a one-year deal. The owner can make that offer, can match a better offer sheet or get the compensation.

I read that again and again to a point where it doesn't make sense to me anymore.
Tell me if it's clear or not. I'll try again if needed.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Calgary.Flames wrote:
Vik (Habs) wrote:But RFAs can still be offered any number of years (outside of coming off ELC), yes?
Yes, but you won't be able to have a 3.2/7 anymore.
Take Calgary's Bogdan Yakimov for example. He will ask about 2.2M and is coming off an ELC.
2.2M qualifies for an offer between 1 and 3 years.

We have the "bridge contract" rule too saying you add 10% for an additional year beyond the 4th.
That won't matter for a guy like him. I can't give him 130% of 2.2M for a 7 year deal anymore because in an offer must be at least 5M for it to be 7 years.
The bridge contract will serve more in the cases of high end guys coming off an ELC. MacKinnon for example.
He'll ask for more than 5M so he automatically qualifies for a 7 year offer but the 130% would then apply to him so he doesn't go as cheap on a long term deal.

-Determine the salary.
-See if the chart allows that kind of deal.
Oh, so the brackets apply to everybody. I thought because it just says UFAs that those were the only players affected. So, using your Yakimov example, if you wanted to sign him to a 7 year deal it would only have to be $5M, correct; it wouldn't be $5M * 1.3 because his calculated value * 1.3 is less than 5M?

I take it the brackets also apply to players you sign out of the UFA pool?
Calgary.Flames wrote:
Vik (Habs) wrote:Just a minor quibble with the wording here, I'm assuming we won't have to expose every player that's 24+ to waivers, we just have to if we intend to put them on the farm.
Correct. You will no longer be able to keep Matthias in the AHL though. :lol:
You're welcome everybody. :D
Calgary.Flames wrote:
Vik (Habs) wrote:Little confused by this, is it just for offer sheets or is it for all RFA offers? And is this to say you can't offer sheet anyone for less than what the contract calculator says? And if you wait until after the rollover it can only be a one year deal? And we're able to offer sheet guys before we get to the whole free agent frenzy now? And why, if you wait longer, would you have to offer the RFA more money?
When we'll be re-signing guys, if you decide not to sign an RFA to what the calculator says you will still own his rights but the player will now be open to offer sheets from other team. For a certain amount of time, the offer sheets must be for what the calculator says, with the adjustments needed for long term deals whether it's from bridge contracts or to fit the new chart, just like the owner would have had to offer in the first place.
If the player is still not signed after that amount of time then the offer sheets must be at least a 10% increase over last salary and it will be a one-year deal. The owner can make that offer, can match a better offer sheet or get the compensation.
OK, I get the misunderstanding. When Bubbles said "10% increase of their listed salary", I assumed he was referring to the amount shown by the calculator but you're saying it's the player's previous season salary.

Just one little thing that didn't get clarified, do RFA offer sheets start with UFA-ery (as usual) or can we get going on them earlier after the post-draft rollover? Maybe the question should be what does post-draft rollover refer to? I remember in another league (that Bubbles was in!), folks got confused thinking the June 20th to 21st or whatever was the rollover referred to but it was actually the June 29th to August whateverth.
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Vik (Habs) wrote:Oh, so the brackets apply to everybody. I thought because it just says UFAs that those were the only players affected. So, using your Yakimov example, if you wanted to sign him to a 7 year deal it would only have to be $5M, correct; it wouldn't be $5M * 1.3 because his calculated value * 1.3 is less than 5M?

I take it the brackets also apply to players you sign out of the UFA pool?
Because 5M > 2.2M*1.3, a 5M/7y offer would be enough.
We want to avoid any kind of non-sense money/term deal whatever way it gets done, so yes it also applies to the UFA pool.
Vik (Habs) wrote:OK, I get the misunderstanding. When Bubbles said "10% increase of their listed salary", I assumed he was referring to the amount shown by the calculator but you're saying it's the player's previous season salary.

Just one little thing that didn't get clarified, do RFA offer sheets start with UFA-ery (as usual) or can we get going on them earlier after the post-draft rollover? Maybe the question should be what does post-draft rollover refer to? I remember in another league (that Bubbles was in!), folks got confused thinking the June 20th to 21st or whatever was the rollover referred to but it was actually the June 29th to August whateverth.
We'll get the wording sorted out soon, lol. We've always dealt with RFA and UFA re-signing at the same time, so I guess it will stay that way. Whatever the in-game date, we'll get to the draft, then we'll start re-signing guys and then the UFA frenzy. I guess that the UFA frenzy is when you can start offering one-year deal with at least a 10% increase over previous salary.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Well, if nobody claims Matthias, he'll just have to stay in the AHL. :P
AnaheimGM

Post by AnaheimGM »

Just a quick question to see if i'm understanding the new rules for UFA.

Exemple: Dmitri Kugryshev

In the calculator it said 3.45 millions. So he is eligible for
If i want to sign him for 5 years i must do:

3.45 X 1.1= 3.795 millions dollars

Is it right?
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

You don't need the "x1.1" since he's not coming off an ELC.
Rest is correct.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

The cap calculator (see the contract rules thread here) is updated with this year's pending free agents. Note that I haven't updated the goalie formula yet.
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

SharksGM wrote:The cap calculator (see the contract rules thread here) is updated with this year's pending free agents. Note that I haven't updated the goalie formula yet.
Greed?
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Calgary.Flames wrote:
SharksGM wrote:The cap calculator (see the contract rules thread here) is updated with this year's pending free agents. Note that I haven't updated the goalie formula yet.
Greed?
Not yet. I'll add a separate column with greed-adjusted figures tomorrow so we're all clear on that.
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Once greed is added, those will be the final numbers, right?
AnaheimGM

Post by AnaheimGM »

Calgary.Flames wrote:You don't need the "x1.1" since he's not coming off an ELC.
Rest is correct.
Great i understand now. Thanks!
Flyin High Jets

Post by Flyin High Jets »

I have a question about re-signing your own UFA's:
Say Joe smith is 25 years old and his salary is $2.45M. If I offer him the max 8 years, is there a penalty attached to the signing?
Dallas Stars GM

Say Joe smith is 25 years old and his salary is $2.45M. If I offer him the max 8 years, is there a penalty attached to the signing?
7 years is maximum length for contracts.
flyergp21

Post by flyergp21 »

My understanding is if you want to offer a 7 year term, you would have to give the guy a minimum of 5M per.
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Exactly.
Dallas Stars GM

Same goes for RFAs? Even those coming off of an ELC?
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

This goes for everyone, now.

If your guy is coming off an ELC and is asking for 3M, last season you could've signed him for 3.9M / 7 years.
We didn't want deals like that anymore.

Here are the options you have for that guy now:
3M for 1-4 years.
3.3M for 5 years.
5M for 6-7 years.

Is that clear?
AnaheimGM

Post by AnaheimGM »

But if a player coming off his ELC and is asking 5.2 millions, if you want to sign him 7 years you must sign him at 6.76 millions (5.2 x 1.3). Right?
Dallas Stars GM

and if that RFA is going to make under 2M? He can be signed for 3 years max. right?
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

AnaheimGM wrote:But if a player coming off his ELC and is asking 5.2 millions, if you want to sign him 7 years you must sign him at 6.76 millions (5.2 x 1.3). Right?
Yes.
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Dallas Stars GM wrote:and if that RFA is going to make under 2M? He can be signed for 3 years max. right?
Yes.
Dallas Stars GM

The GRD $(M) column now determines the new salaries, right?
Can we consider it as the final touch on it?
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Is there a rule that states if you time out during the draft, you are required to send a list or get auto'd for your remaining picks?

If we don't, we should.
Most recent file here.
flyergp21

Post by flyergp21 »

Agreed. 100%.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Did we do that last year?
Dallas Stars GM

Not that I remember. But, sounds like a good idea in my opinion.
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Commish Bub(NYR) wrote:Did we do that last year?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5605&hilit=auto%27d ... 150#p48563
Most recent file here.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Dallas Stars GM wrote:The GRD $(M) column now determines the new salaries, right?
Can we consider it as the final touch on it?
I think it's fine. There's a bonus of salary*(greed - 100)/2.5, to a max of +/- 12.5%. Or in other words, 70 greed = 87.5% of nominal salary, 130 greed = 112.5%. It's not much of a difference except for 3M+ players and should balance out league wide while making greedy players more likely to hit UFA to due higher demands, as intended.

Pat, are you happy with leaving the modified on for goalies too?
Commish Bub(NYR)

SharksGM wrote:Pat, are you happy with leaving the modified on for goalies too?
Yep.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

The greed modifier is only for retaining UFAs though, correct? Doesn't affect RFAs.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Vik (Habs) wrote:The greed modifier is only for retaining UFAs though, correct? Doesn't affect RFAs.
I blanked on this. I think I originally said UFAs only and Bub agrees. So for this offseason, the GRD column applies to UFAs only. Rejoice! (Of course this will cost me).
AP21 (ARZ)

Post by AP21 (ARZ) »

SharksGM wrote:
Vik (Habs) wrote:The greed modifier is only for retaining UFAs though, correct? Doesn't affect RFAs.
I blanked on this. I think I originally said UFAs only and Bub agrees. So for this offseason, the GRD column applies to UFAs only. Rejoice! (Of course this will cost me).
Can we still trust the Contract Calculator for contract extensions? Do we need to look at the "NEW $(M)" column instead of "GRD $(M)"?
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

AP21 (ARZ) wrote:
SharksGM wrote:
Can we still trust the Contract Calculator for contract extensions? Do we need to look at the "NEW $(M)" column instead of "GRD $(M)"?
NEW $(M) is the only column you need to look at now. It automagically takes into account UFA/RFA status. Problem solved.

Return to “League Memos”