Superbowl

Moderator: SharksGM

FlamesGM

Superbowl

Post by FlamesGM »

Thoughts on this one? Was decent enough, not a "bust". Far from the best I've seen, but I don't really have much to say about it. QB duel with each of them putting up big numbers. Not the TDs so much... both teams employing a "bend but don't break" defence. Won't be surprised to see these two QBs back in the Super Bowl real soon. And from my perspective, if Peyton is in the big game, it just means Brady and the Pats aren't, which is good in my books :lol:
Virtual Jarmo

Re: Superbowl

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

The onside kick totally changed the complexion of the game and was a very ballsy move by Sean Payton. I loved it. It was the perfect time to try it. If you go down 17-6, it shows that you still have confidence in your offense. Even though IND went right downfield on the next possession, it really gave NO the chance to move the football and get into a rhythm.

Payton outcoached Caldwell; Brees outplayed Manning. That's what it boils down to in big games.

It was a fairly exciting game. What was more exciting was watching my dad's brother take bets before the game and watching everyone go apeshit over Super Bowl squares.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
FlamesGM

Post by FlamesGM »

I'll agree that Payton outcoached Caldwell and Brees outplayed Manning. But, when you put it that way it sounds a little too one-sided. I think Manning played a fantastic game (excluding the INT, although I can argue that Wayne is supposed to cut in and thus prevent that, but it was a great read by Porter). And Caldwell coached a great game as well, just wasn't as gutsy as Payton, because in all honesty, Caldwell didn't need to be. The Colts were a more talented team, but the Saints pulled something special out tonight.

They held the Colts to only 8 possessions. The Colts averaged around 12 possessions per game during the season, and it was very clear Payton's strategy was keep the ball away from Manning. And as we've all seen during the season, the Colts thrived in the 2nd half, putting a team under... they didn't get the possession at the start of the half to get rolling again. Honestly, they're probably wondering why the game's over. The colt offense probably is waiting for the 4th quarter to start cause it probably feels like they only played 2/3 of the game.

Super Bowl squares are really fun. Being Canadian, my family does that for the Grey Cup, which is a little more insane because you can get singles in Canadian football so every single possible score is available to be bought, gets pretty insane near the end.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

Really happy to see New Orleans take it, that city deserves it. And of course Breesus deserves it.

But I didn't think the actual game was very exciting, especially compared to the last two.

Oh and I went 3/3 on my prop bets.
- Saints win coin toss
- First score was FG
- IND scored first
BSBullies

Post by BSBullies »

It's good that the Saints won, had they lost a lot of finger pointing would have been made at the 4th and G they screwed up when they could have made it a 4 point game at the time. I think Peyton takes too much for granted that he can slow play their possessions and just toss a TD or something, they ran the ball way too much (though it was effective at times), I didn't see him really try to air it out to Wayne or Garcon more than once. Saints deserved it but I think the Colts beat themselves for sure.
Commish Bub(NYR)

Post by Commish Bub(NYR) »

Turned out to be a pretty good game, but it just didn't seem ... interesting ... early on. I had a hard time getting into it. Great call with the onside kick to open the second half; bad call to not kick 3 late in the first. But they won, so who cares, right?

Here's the useless stat of the game: Until last night, SB teams with players from my alma mater (William & Mary) were 0-8. Darren "What, Me Tackle?" Sharper broke the curse.

And what a dreadful set of commercials this year. The Snickers/Betty White one was good, and the Will.i.am remix for Flotv was okay, but the rest pretty much sucked. And I really don't want to know what Tebow was doing off-camera in that stupid ad.
NashvilleGM

Post by NashvilleGM »

I thought the shot at the touchdown was a good call, it just did not work out, their goalline plays sucked (at least on that drive). Anyway, they manged to stop Manning and get the ball back with some good field position so...

Good SB game, last year's was better IMO but still, good game and I'm so glad Peyton lost, boo ya !
Montreal Canadiens

Post by Montreal Canadiens »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:The onside kick totally changed the complexion of the game and was a very ballsy move by Sean Payton. I loved it. It was the perfect time to try it. If you go down 17-6, it shows that you still have confidence in your offense. Even though IND went right downfield on the next possession, it really gave NO the chance to move the football and get into a rhythm.

Payton outcoached Caldwell; Brees outplayed Manning. That's what it boils down to in big games.

It was a fairly exciting game. What was more exciting was watching my dad's brother take bets before the game and watching everyone go apeshit over Super Bowl squares.
Haha I won $35 on superbowl squares and would have won another $25 had Peyton completed that last drive with a Touchdown.
Virtual Jarmo

Post by Virtual Jarmo »

Montreal Canadiens wrote:Haha I won $35 on superbowl squares and would have won another $25 had Peyton completed that last drive with a Touchdown.
Reggie Wayne's drop cost my next door neighbor $5000.

Santonio Holmes game-winning TD catch last year cost him $5000.
Adam Burke
Former Commissioner, Current Jackets GM and Owner of Eastside's Hockey Elite Collide
FlamesGM

Post by FlamesGM »

Commissioner (CBJ) wrote:
Montreal Canadiens wrote:Haha I won $35 on superbowl squares and would have won another $25 had Peyton completed that last drive with a Touchdown.
Reggie Wayne's drop cost my next door neighbor $5000.

Santonio Holmes game-winning TD catch last year cost him $5000.
Ouch... that is all. Like, I wanted Arizona to win too last year, but $5000? Yikes...
Penguin

Post by Penguin »

5000! I'd have a heart attack..

I'm already excited for the draft :)

Return to “The Sports Bar”