2017 Offseason

Moderator: SharksGM

SharksGM
Site Admin

2017 Offseason

Post by SharksGM »

First off, thanks to everyone for making the 2016-17 EHEC season a success (for Justin anyway), especially Pat.

Secondly, with Pat riding off into the sunset (wear SPF 50), please welcome Alex (ARZ) into the management group. It seems like he has agreed to help with the wide assortment of mundane trivia that need to get done before the next season begins, so... congratulations, I guess?

Thirdly, but most importantly, now is an ideal time to do an activity check and see who's planning to stick around for the next season. We're going to have to diverge from blindly following the NHL thanks to Vegas, so there will be changes in the offseason. If you're eager to stay, post here at least to prove that you read this far. If you don't think you're going to be interested enough to stick around, please let us know now so we can start to look for new GMs before the draft starts. Speaking of which...

Offseason stuff:

-The draft is a work in progress. Please be patient; there are another 4 months to go before the next season starts and we'll have a variety of other things to fill up the time before then. Now most EHEC drafts have been stronger than real life, and most scouts seems to agree that this isn't a particularly great draft year (especially at the top), so don't expect a deep crop this year. That's all I can say at the moment; we'll try to balance things out and keep the prospects as realistic as possible.

-Trades. Go ahead and trade if you want. It's up to you if you want to gamble on high 2017 picks but I would suggest waiting until the draft is finished first.

-The salary cap is probably going to go up slightly. I'm not planning major changes to the contract calculator, but there may be some tweaks to reduce salaries for marginal players (70-73OV guys demanding 2.5+M).

- We'll probably scale player salaries down to avoid EHM crashes. Provisionally, something like reducing all salaries by 20%, which brings the current cap down to 56M. Then a 2M increase each of the next two seasons brings it back up to 60M, which should be low enough to keep EHM v1.16 happy. We'll do the same for the min/max salaries, RFA compensation, ELC contracts, etc. so relative salaries will stay about the same.

- Realignment, regular season scheduling, playoff seeding and formatting, all of that is up for change and will be discussed later on in the offseason.

- The website could use some sprucing up, especially on the front page. I'm planning to replace the static GM/player of the week/month boxes that nobody ever updates into a mini standings/player scoring/goalie stats page. Suggestions are welcome.

- I'm going to bed now, bye.
Dallas Stars GM

Re: 2017 Offseason

Post by Dallas Stars GM »

Super excited for the next 2017/18 season
STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2020, 2022
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

I'm right here.
Vik (Habs)

Post by Vik (Habs) »

Give me Nuge.
Edmonton Mike

Post by Edmonton Mike »

Yeah.
Jon Merrill
1992-2021
AnaheimGM

Post by AnaheimGM »

Je suis prêt pour la prochaine saison et je m'en fou que tu ne comprenne pas ce que je dis Dan.
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

AnaheimGM wrote:Je suis prêt pour la prochaine saison et je m'en fou que tu ne comprenne pas ce que je dis Dan.
If we're not 50% french here yet, we're damn close.
flyergp21

Post by flyergp21 »

:lol: :lol:

Here.
TorontoGM

Post by TorontoGM »

My body is ready.
AnaheimGM

Post by AnaheimGM »

Calgary.Flames wrote:
AnaheimGM wrote:Je suis prêt pour la prochaine saison et je m'en fou que tu ne comprenne pas ce que je dis Dan.
If we're not 50% french here yet, we're damn close.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bruins_GM

Post by Bruins_GM »

Let's roll the dice again for 17-18.
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Despite all the adversity and persecution, confefe
Most recent file here.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Tampa Bay GM wrote:Despite all the adversity and persecution, confefe
I hope your spelling improves!
AP21 (ARZ)

Post by AP21 (ARZ) »

Thanks for the promotion and congratulations to Justin!
JetsGM

Post by JetsGM »

Good to go and boo urns to the...
SharksGM wrote:
Now most EHEC drafts have been stronger than real life, and most scouts seems to agree that this isn't a particularly great draft year (especially at the top), so don't expect a deep crop this year.
Kudos to Alex and the rest of the guys for stepping up and keeping the league going.

Huge thank you to Pat for all that damn thankless work.

Last but not least, congratz to Justin for keeping that juggernaut of a team going.

Truly awesome league, excited for another year.
Bernyhawks

Post by Bernyhawks »

Vegassssss
NashvillePredatorsGM

Post by NashvillePredatorsGM »

Yes, I'm here
jamesredwings

Post by jamesredwings »

Ditto
Devils_GM

Post by Devils_GM »

Here
Kings GM

Post by Kings GM »

I'm ready
IslandersGM

Post by IslandersGM »

checking in
NYI GM
JacketsGM (Jer)

Post by JacketsGM (Jer) »

Checking in.
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Code: Select all

ANA x
ARZ x
BOS x
BUF o
CGY x
CAR x
CHI x
COL x
CBJ x
DAL x
DET x
EDM x
FLA o
LA x
MIN x
MTL x
NAS x
NJ x
NYI x
NYR x
OTT x
PHI x
PIT x
SJ x
STL x
TB x
TOR x
VAN x
WAS x
WPG x
28/30

2 confirmed open spots
Last edited by Jets GM on Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Most recent file here.
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Tampa Bay GM wrote:

Code: Select all

ANA x
ARZ x
BOS x
BUF
CGY x
CAR 
CHI x
COL 
CBJ x
DAL x
DET x
EDM x
FLA 
LA x
MIN 
MTL x
NAS x
NJ x
NYI x
NYR o
OTT o
PHI x
PIT 
SJ x
STL 
TB x
TOR x
VAN 
WAS 
WPG x
19/30

2 confirmed open spots

So it's 19/28. And I'm sure some of those guys will eventually check in.

Who's the 2nd open spot? I know Florida is gone but I don't know who's our 2nd vacancy?
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

OTT & NYR
Most recent file here.
ColoradoGM

Post by ColoradoGM »

Colorado
Calgary.Flames

Post by Calgary.Flames »

Tampa Bay GM wrote:OTT & NYR
NYR :|
BLUESGM

Post by BLUESGM »

Im in.
Edmonton Mike

Post by Edmonton Mike »

Pretty sure Buffalo's open.
Jon Merrill
1992-2021
VancouverCanucksGM

Post by VancouverCanucksGM »

Woo.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Edmonton Mike wrote:Pretty sure Buffalo's open.
Last login June 5. I'll message him. Ness (PIT) was last on June 1st and didn't have the most depressing playoff run.

Rob (MIN), DaveG (CAR) and WSH haven't logged in in quite a while. Rob had some issues to deal with and Dave is the strong silent type. I'll ask them all if they want to continue. That covers the remaining eight then.

We have a couple of reasonable applicants from the last few weeks so I'll see if they want to take over FLA/OTT/NYR first.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

J'aime manger creme glacee au pamplemousse dans la calisse. Aussi, mon aéroglisseur est plein d'anguilles.
flyergp21

Post by flyergp21 »

It means nothing, but great effort!!!
AnaheimGM

Post by AnaheimGM »

SharksGM wrote:
J'aime manger creme glacee au pamplemousse dans la calisse. Aussi, mon aéroglisseur est plein d'anguilles.

Yes, geat effort!
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

DaveG is around and we should have a new Rangers GM soon, so we're up to 24. Hopefully 30 sooner or later but not bad considering we haven't been actively recruiting for a while.
Ness (PIT)

Post by Ness (PIT) »

Yes we are ready for new season
Bernyhawks

Post by Bernyhawks »

Am I the only one that would like to start all over with an updated file? This league has so much history, but I feel like it would be really fun.
Jets GM

Post by Jets GM »

Bernyhawks wrote:Am I the only one that would like to start all over with an updated file? This league has so much history, but I feel like it would be really fun.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Most recent file here.
Dallas Stars GM

:lol:
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Bernyhawks wrote:Am I the only one that would like to start all over with an updated file? This league has so much history, but I feel like it would be really fun.
I would love to start another league running an EHM (2015) server if it can handle 30 human GMs. I've seen a few leagues out there but haven't been tempted to join yet. EHM '15 still has issues though - it's like the polar opposite of EHEC, such that goalies are by far the most important players and you may as well tank every season if you don't have a top 10 goalie.

Making an up-to-date freeware EHM file, though? No, fuck that.
IslandersGM

Post by IslandersGM »

after drafting conner i wouldn't be in favor of that - however I would be in favor of not next season but say the season after (starting work now) that we rerate the players to maybe better match them?? But as for creating a new file with proper players on each team - no point as the first trade would mix things up again anyway.
NYI GM
NYR GM

Post by NYR GM »

SharksGM wrote:
I would love to start another league running an EHM (2015) server if it can handle 30 human GMs. I've seen a few leagues out there but haven't been tempted to join yet. EHM '15 still has issues though - it's like the polar opposite of EHEC, such that goalies are by far the most important players and you may as well tank every season if you don't have a top 10 goalie.

Does EHM 2015 online even work? I've tried to get it going with more than two human players at a time only for it to crash and burn without fail.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Rob_Wild wrote:I'm here still
Good to have you back!

So FLA and OTT are still vacant, and we're waiting on BUF and WAS. BUF was on a week ago so hopefully he'll be back. The last time WAS posted was about switching teams over a month ago soooo... anyway, even 4 vacancies to fill isn't too bad.
Dallas Stars GM

Yeah, looks very solid.

When we will we get to see the prosects for the draft and when will it be held?
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

63 skaters done (starting from the top of the draft), 107 to go. We'll probably stick to a five round draft this year. Manually creating 250 draftees is just a painful and largely pointless slog.

We'll have at least a week between the draftee list being released into the wild and the draft itself.
Dallas Stars GM

I'd gladly help with the remaining 60 if I can.
Edmonton Mike

Post by Edmonton Mike »

SharksGM wrote:BUF was on a week ago so hopefully he'll be back.
I just talked to Guillaume; he's out. He told Bub he wasn't coming back a while ago. So yeah, BUF's open.
Jon Merrill
1992-2021
Bernyhawks

Post by Bernyhawks »

Did anyone post the draft order with all the trades made? Looking to acquire 1st round picks.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Bernyhawks wrote:Did anyone post the draft order with all the trades made? Looking to acquire 1st round picks.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7435#p59551

I think it's correct but I'll double check once the draftees are added to the file.
BLUESGM

Post by BLUESGM »

It works for all 30. EHM 2017 works for 15 GM's, so if we only have those numbers, that game imo is the best. Most leagues now run on the new EHM game that came out two years ago...or more. Its buggy.

Return to “League Memos”