NHL Playoffs 2020

Moderator: SharksGM

IslandersGM

NHL Playoffs 2020

Post by IslandersGM »

Thought since this is a different summer with hockey still around thought we could do some predictions.

So they way we'll try this is pick the 1,2,3,4 seed from the top 4 teams and who will get through the "qualifications"

You can use this template:

W1
W2
W3
W4

CGY or WPG
EDM or CHI
VAN or MIN
NSH or ARI

E1
E2
E3
E4

TOR or CBJ
PIT or MTL
NYI or FLA
CAR or NYR
NYI GM
IslandersGM

Re: NHL Playoffs 2020

Post by IslandersGM »

W1 COL
W2 STL
W3 VEG
W4 DAL

WPG in 4
EDM in 5
VAN in 5
NSH in 4

E1 BOS
E2 WSH
E3 PHL
E4 TB

TOR in 5
PIT in 3
NYI in 4
CAR in 4
NYI GM
NYRNYRNYR

Post by NYRNYRNYR »

W1 VEG
W2 COL
W3 STL
W4 DAL

CAL in 4
EDM in 3
VAN in 4
NSH in 5

E1 TB
E2 BOS
E3 WSH
E4 PHI

TOR in 3
PIT in 4
NYI in 3
CAR in 3
PittsburghGM

Post by PittsburghGM »

W1 - COL
W2 - VGK
W3 - DAL
W4 - STL

CGY or WPG - WPG in 3
EDM or CHI - EDM in 4
VAN or MIN - VAN in 4
NSH or ARI - NSH in 4

E1 - BOS
E2 - TB
E3 - PHI
E4 - WSH

TOR or CBJ - TOR in 5
PIT or MTL - PIT in 3
NYI or FLA - NYI in 5
CAR or NYR - CAR in 4
AvalancheGM

Post by AvalancheGM »

W1: COL
W2: DAL
W3: STL
W4: VGK

WPG in 4
EDM in 5
VAN in 3
NSH in 4

E1: TB
E2: PHI
E3: WSH
E4: BOS

TOR in 5
PIT in 4
NYI in 4
CAR in 4
The Colorado Avalanche - missing the playoffs every year since EHEC began
Edmonton Mike

Post by Edmonton Mike »

Crazy qualifying round it's been!
Jon Merrill
1992-2021
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

As a Leafs fan, let me say lol
Dallas Stars GM

Post by Dallas Stars GM »

As much as I'd like the Blue Jackets to blast through the Leafs ....I can see the Avs vs. the Leafs in the Stanley Cup finals. And the Avs are gonna beat them.
STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS 2020, 2022
DetroitGM

Post by DetroitGM »

Dallas Stars GM wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:56 pm As much as I'd like the Blue Jackets to blast through the Leafs ....I can see the Avs vs. the Leafs in the Stanley Cup finals. And the Avs are gonna beat them.
I will be quite surprised if the Leafs get to the finals, I don't think I'd pick them to beat any of the 7 (eastern) playoff teams at this point, though Tampa's injury concerns give me pause.
Dallas Stars GM

Wow. Maple Leafs were swept by the Blue Jackets. I cheer for Blue Jackets so that makes me happy. But I still think the Avs are gonna win the Cup. They just need to play Frankie.
AvalancheGM

Post by AvalancheGM »

They weren't swept.

Yeah, I really like Colorado to come out of the West. Carolina or Philly from the East. I can see Columbus knocking off Tampa again as well.
SharksGM
Site Admin

Post by SharksGM »

Columbus got lucky. They got badly outplayed 5v5, their PP sucked, and they basically got saved by implausible goaltending and bad shooting by the Leafs.

Nonetheless, the key point going forward is that the Flyers and Bruins need to be crushed into fine dust and scattered into the wind.
AvalancheGM

Post by AvalancheGM »

Yeah, the Leafs were the better team in games 1, 2 and 5 IMO. I was giving Korpi more credit than most coming into this season (best friend was in their front office when they drafted him) but he played out of his mind. Leafs PP continued to suck, aside from the game 4 comeback.

Still, CBJ are a far better team than most realize.
Dallas Stars GM

I think Korpi can replicate it and Elvis is a very talented goalie as well. Toronto will need to make some adjustments if they want to do some damage in the playoffs next year.
DetroitGM

Post by DetroitGM »

The Tampa v Columbus series is definitely an interesting one. If not for Tampa's injuries, I'd say they'd be motivated from last year and would crush the Jackets. But without Hedman and Stamkos? I could see Columbus pulling off another upset.
SharksGM wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:04 pm Nonetheless, the key point going forward is that the Flyers and Bruins need to be crushed into fine dust and scattered into the wind.
I'll be happy if Montreal just gets it to 6 games. I'm glad we didn't get (a healthy) Tampa, but the Flyers are looking tough.
I'm thinking Carolina beats Boston, but I'm not sure - from what I saw, Chara really showed his age and the top line was shit. But if the top line plays the way they can, the way they did the rest of the season... who knows. But Carolina definitely has the better defence, which I think will be the key.

Overall: despite their loss to Vegas, my money's on Colorado. And by money, I mean $0.00 because I'm not a betting man ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
AvalancheGM

Post by AvalancheGM »

The Blue Jackets make teams work HARD for a win, so I don't think Tampa would pile up big numbers. The status of Hedman/Stamkos will loom large for sure. I actually went down for Game 4 of that series last year, never dreaming they would be up 3-0 and complete the sweep. It was unreal.

I've started covering the Flyers for thehockeywriters.com (I can link my stories if anyone's interested) and they looked excellent in the RR. Rolled over all three teams without a single goal from their top line, and Hart looks great.

I despise the Bruins so I'm hoping their bad form and Carolina's good form continue. The Canes can go deep, especially once/if they get Hamilton and Pesce back.
DetroitGM

Post by DetroitGM »

Who knew that, less than 48 hours after beating the Leafs, Columbus would play the 4th* longest game in NHL history

* it's still going while I type this, so could get even higher.
AvalancheGM

Post by AvalancheGM »

That was insane. I was hoping it would reach 4-5 OTs but that's so rare. I remember the last 5 OT game that Primeau ended.

Korpisalo made 85 saves. Jones and Werenski both played more than an hour. Absolutely nuts. Not the first time Point has scored a huge goal deep into overtime - I was in the building when he scored in double OT for Moose Jaw against Regina when he was only 15, not even old enough to be a regular player in the Dub.

Return to “GM Memos and General Chatter”